What to tap for backup camera power?

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Looking to add a backup camera this weekend after my Kenwood/Maestro install. I have plenty of video cable to run to the front - but only 1.2m of power cable for the camera. Most people seem to recommend tapping into the reverse lights, but I cant seem to find anyone who has actually done it and posted which wire they tapped, etc. I was also told that the voltage going to the reverse lights may not be 12v - which the camera needs.

Anyone know what I can do here at the rear of the car?

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Looking to add a backup camera this weekend after my Kenwood/Maestro install. I have plenty of video cable to run to the front - but only 1.2m of power cable for the camera. Most people seem to recommend tapping into the reverse lights, but I cant seem to find anyone who has actually done it and posted which wire they tapped, etc. I was also told that the voltage going to the reverse lights may not be 12v - which the camera needs.

Anyone know what I can do here at the rear of the car?

Have you looked into backup camera equipped Mustang wiring diagrams? Maybe this will help?

scott_0

Established Member
it's pretty simple using a digital multi meter man, check it for yourself, turn the key on with engine off, put the car in reverse, and probe the positive lead of the reverse lights and see what the voltage is

Last edited:

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Easy enough! Got it done this afternoon. On the 11, pin 1 of the tail light harness is power to the reverse lights. It's the blue wire. Rest was nice and easy! My head unit isn't in yet so I found a small TV I use for the security cameras and ran the RCA cable to make sure it was all working. Looked good. Now I just need my head unit and dash kit.

FDC9A8A9-43D0-4464-9A4B-8D881E414222_zpsyv6f5mi6.jpg

ED641247-8E59-40F3-9042-545A7A0C9A7C_zpszi7bqz2t.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread