what to look for 1999 V10

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Hey guys , I have done a search here , but as luck would have it I have not found what I was looking for.
I am looking at a 1999 Superduty supercab , 4x4 with the V10 and automatic.
I have read that there were problems with the spark plugs in early models , so I am prepared for that..
How dependable are the automatics behind these engines ?
Also have any of you had trouble with the electric shift transfercases ?
i have had rangers and they are terribly unreliable
Thank you for the insight
I may add the price on this XLT is under 6K so it is a pretty good price

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
The exhaust manifold studs can break. The e-shift transfer case is as reliable as it is on any Ford. It has a 4R100 tranny. Not the greatest one in the world, but not bad either. If taken care of they last a really long time.

6speedVIII

Established Member
Generally i think they are good trucks. however my father owns a 2001 v10 auto 4x4 crew cab and has had alot of bad luck with it. He blew a spark plug just 2000 miles outside of his warranty pulling his fifth wheel through the hills of Arizona (cost him thousands)...he also had the problem with studs breaking off the manifold. just this past summer the truck blew its tranny 500mi from home but it still was able to limp home. the truck only has 101k on it, he has been a ford engineer for 13 years now and does all the maintenance on time and himself. it has needed a few other minor fix that i cant think of but i would consider them more like maintenance. Again i think they are good trucks and im sure by dad just got extremely unlucky. The one good think i can say it that it has never left us stranded on the side of the road. Even in Arizona when it spit a spark plug it still pulled the 8000 pound trailer almost 90 miles to the nearest ford dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread