what to do in the OBX

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
Rented a house up in the 4x4 section on the OBX. Went 4x4ing today did some exploring, and hung out on the beach today. Looking for some awesome activities for the rest of the week. My wife wants to see a couple of light houses, and an aquarium. I'm looking forward to seeing these big azz waves from hurricane bill to ease up. THe water is so rough that its not easily shore fished. Today we are heading down to Kitty Hawk to see the Wright bro's memorial.

I need somebody to chime in that has been here before. Where to go, where not to go, and what is the best thing out here to do.

Thanks

wundrbird

Proud Father
Established Member
Roanoke Aquarium
Currituck Lighthouse (can climb it)
Bodie Island Lighthouse
Wright Bros Memorial
Jockey's Ridge
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (can climb it)
British Soldiers' Cemetery
Ferry to Ocracoke Island
Ocracoke Village and Lighthouse

Ask a local at either your hotel or another spot for the good restaurants. (Dirty Dick's Crab House near Buxton was pretty good a few years ago, don't know if it's still there.) My wife and I found that the best thing to do is just drive and be willing to take a lot of side roads, look out for tourist/historical markers on the side of the road.

Waves should be down very soon if not already.

When you get done, take either of the ferries out of Ocracoke (approx 2 hour ride each) unless you want to drive back up the Banks. If you take the Cedar Island Ferry out of Ocracoke, you can see the Pine Knoll Shores Aquarium along the SOBX (southern outer banks), near Atlantic Beach. The North Carolina Maritime Museum is in Beaufort, on your way to Morehead City from Cedar Island.

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Go over to Ocacroake Island and go to Howard's pub!

All I ever do is fish and drink all day in Hatteras

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
Forgive my noobness but what does OBX stand for? I've seen the bumper stickers all over the place and could never figure it out.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Forgive my noobness but what does OBX stand for? I've seen the bumper stickers all over the place and could never figure it out.

....really? Outer Banks

Go down to Ocracoke and stay there...... the Nags Head area is way to busy/typical beach bustle..... Ocracoke is nice and slow, very relaxed. :beer::beer:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
you could go see teh Lost Colony Play, your wife might enjoy that. Good seafood at Sam and Omies, The weeping Radish Brewery is on the mainland but they brew there own beer according to the german purity law, just call and make sure they are producing beer again, they had to get a new master brewer. Go to the Sugar Shack they have great seafood as well, and captain Franks is a great place for hotdogs.

Check out the sand dunes at Kittle Hawk, go kayaking, lots of places to go with a guide. you could also go waverunning, specials are early inthe morning.

nodaksvt

ehhh?
Established Member
Roanoke Aquarium
Currituck Lighthouse (can climb it)
Bodie Island Lighthouse
Wright Bros Memorial
Jockey's Ridge
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse (can climb it)
British Soldiers' Cemetery
Ferry to Ocracoke Island
Ocracoke Village and Lighthouse