What timing cover to switch to?

ctgreddy

Established Member
I'm helping a good friend start planning/gathering parts for a turbo build and trying to find out what timing cover works to switch to. I found 2 4v covers at my work, both are slightly different. One is part number f5le-6d080-ab and one is 2c5e-6d080-da. google's no help trying to figure it out. Does it matter what 4v cover is used? Anyone who's got some help/pics would be greatly appreciated!

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Depends on the block honestly. Ive only ever used a mach 1 timing cover on my car, but with a early romeo iron block. The timing cover has an extra bolt hole that needs gooped up with plenty of RTV but otherwise looks fine. Probably easy to find, too.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Timing cover does not matter. There should actually be 3 different types. 03/04 Cobra 96-98 and somewhere around 99/00 the 4V timing cover changed a bit as well mid year. The only difference would be what block you are using which is really a non issue.

For instance if you use an 03 Cover on a Teksid, like mentioned above, one hole does not line up and you RTV it.

The only other differences with the other timing covers is the belt tensioner position. Earlier covers vs the later covers they changed the belt tensioner style from the single bolt to the 3 bolt type. The 03 Cobra cover has provisions for the Alternator bracket on the side of the cover if you were to run a blower and obviously not needed.

So basically, any 4v cover is going to work. The 03 Cobra covers are usually more money so I would search for a 99/01 Cobra or Mach 1 cover but like mentioned a 96-98 4v will work as well.

Users who are viewing this thread