what supercharger

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I saw 18psi with a standard inlet whipple 2.9. Made 617rwhp on a conservative tune. Drives like stock until I put my foot in it. I drive it to work on nice days and deal with traffic with no issues.

I even let my son take it to a meet a few weeks ago.

18psi is a good spot for the 2.9.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
So with that what kind of power did you make? Did you have to do anything with the lines or anything else? I'd be good with installing new pumps in the tank and injectors but kind of wanted to stay away from all the lines and rails and all that. I imagine it would be smarter to go with a bigger blower and can always run less boost ah? The car maybe get 3-5 hundred miles a year now but don't want it rough, want it smooth on the streets, all that jazz. I see some of them say with factory Throttle body and some say aftermarket, I suppose if a guy does all that just smart to put in a accufab or something right away?
Not sure on power, I remote tuned it. I will be taking it for a dyno tune in the fall. Right now I don’t run it too hard, not that I ever have anyway.
I didn’t want to change much, so my fuel rails and all that are stock. I used DW pumps which are a direct plug and play fit. Most everything is stock except for the blower, injectors, MAF, pumps, and a JLT intake

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
18psi is a good spot for the 2.9.
20 is even better.;) Well, I think it will be. I dropped a couple pulley sizes and it woke the blower up. But I only saw 18.5psi on the log. But the day was warm so I look at it as I'm starting off where my last pulley ended.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
20 is even better.;) Well, I think it will be. I dropped a couple pulley sizes and it woke the blower up. But I only saw 18.5psi on the log. But the day was warm so I look at it as I'm starting off where my last pulley ended.
I run the 3.5 pulley on 93 octane. I have a 3.25 pulley, but i don’t think that’s safe without upgrading fuel. I feel like the blower definitely isn’t being worked with the current pulley

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Honestly 20psi is much better aslong as you can run it on pump gas 91/93. Keeps the tq band better.

What size pulley are running on your setup?

2.9 on the 4.6 takes more to turn it. Personally i think anything less than 18psi on it becomes a waste. The 2.3 whipple at 15-17psi on a 4.6 is much more efficient than a whipple 2.9 at 13-17psi on a 4.6. Being all things equal.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
do any of you guys run E85? The tuner said going the E85 route would be much better? If so what are the down falls of that besides trying to find a pump?

PC03GT

Established Member
do any of you guys run E85? The tuner said going the E85 route would be much better? If so what are the down falls of that besides trying to find a pump?
If you're going E85, you'll probably have to upgrade most of your fuel system. Look up fore innovations fuel systems, they have different levels for your requirements. Also 04sleeper can get you a really good deal if you order through him.

Badaz01

Established Member
When I finish my build hopefully in the next two weeks I’m gonna run e85. The big downfall is more fuel consumption and it’s not ideal for sitting. You’ll need bigger injectors than 60’s. I’m goin with 80’s since I’ll be running a 93,93/torco, and e85 tune with e85 being my primary. And this is just gonna be a street car otherwise I would have went id1300’s which are harder to tune for mainly street manored car.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I run the 3.5 pulley on 93 octane. I have a 3.25 pulley, but i don’t think that’s safe without upgrading fuel. I feel like the blower definitely isn’t being worked with the current pulley
Honestly 20psi is much better aslong as you can run it on pump gas 91/93. Keeps the tq band better.

What size pulley are running on your setup?

2.9 on the 4.6 takes more to turn it. Personally i think anything less than 18psi on it becomes a waste. The 2.3 whipple at 15-17psi on a 4.6 is much more efficient than a whipple 2.9 at 13-17psi on a 4.6. Being all things equal.
I just switched from the 3.5 to a 3.25. I'm mainly on E85 right now, but I do have the set up for flex fuel going. I probably wouldn't chance the 91 with the 3.25 if I didn't have the knock sensor. My pump gas side is conservative anyway.
When I finish my build hopefully in the next two weeks I’m gonna run e85. The big downfall is more fuel consumption and it’s not ideal for sitting. You’ll need bigger injectors than 60’s. I’m goin with 80’s since I’ll be running a 93,93/torco, and e85 tune with e85 being my primary. And this is just gonna be a street car otherwise I would have went id1300’s which are harder to tune for mainly street manored car.
Wut? Plenty of people have stored E85 with no issues. Yes, you do use more of it, but part of that is from the fun of pressing the loud pedal all the way down.

As someone that's tuned 80's and ID's I would've gone with the 1300's. Just the value files available puts them ahead of the 80's.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I just switched from the 3.5 to a 3.25. I'm mainly on E85 right now, but I do have the set up for flex fuel going. I probably wouldn't chance the 91 with the 3.25 if I didn't have the knock sensor. My pump gas side is conservative anyway.

yeah I’m not going to chance going to the 3.25 on 93. It’s not worth the extra 30 hp or whatever

Badaz01

Established Member
I just switched from the 3.5 to a 3.25. I'm mainly on E85 right now, but I do have the set up for flex fuel going. I probably wouldn't chance the 91 with the 3.25 if I didn't have the knock sensor. My pump gas side is conservative anyway.Wut? Plenty of people have stored E85 with no issues. Yes, you do use more of it, but part of that is from the fun of pressing the loud pedal all the way down.

As someone that's tuned 80's and ID's I would've gone with the 1300's. Just the value files available puts them ahead of the 80's.
1300’s straight e85 all the way. And there are additives to help e85 storage I’m just paranoid that’s all. Water absorption, corroded injectors, and additives in the fuel seperating idk then I hear people who leave two years jump in and hammer down

MG0h3

Established Member
I’ve let sit in my tank for 6 months.

I used to be all uptight about stations having E70 or E85 and which tune I had plugged in and now, it’s been so long it’s hard to remember.

Bottom line: don’t worry about all the negative myths on E85.

Right now it sounds like you need ANY 2.3 or up blower and whatever fuel mods your tuner says.

FYI just switching to E is good for about 50rwhp at the same boost level.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
ok, yeah up here in wisconsin the car is in storage from about sept to apr/may so alot of sitting, I know alot of our small engine we have to run non ethanol because by the time you pull them back out from storage the carbs are corroded with this white stuff

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Did I read your earlier post right? You put about 300-500 miles a year on your car? If that's true, and you're just not satisfied with '500' whp, keep it simple and upgrade the blower, and then use the appropriate/recommended pulley with a safe tune for the octane fuel you have up there. I assume it's 93. Personally I wouldn't go E85 at this point which requires more fuel system upgrades. Especially if you're not intending to race and you don't drive it all that much. JMO, though.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Besides availability of a pump in your area and increased fuel use (this is primarily when WOT....partial throttle is not much different consumption at all)....there are absolutely zero downsides to E85. E85 is in fact the bast safeguard against melting a piston that you could do for your cobra. IT WILL NOT DETONATE. When the shiit hits the fan and you have a voltage failure/and or pump going south....If your injector squirts even a minuscule amount on E85 into the chamber, theres a 99.99% you and the motor are going to live another day. Try that with pump gas and let me know how it works out for ya.

So, to me, it does not matter what blower you are using, I recommend E85 use immediately. So you have to upgrade the fuel system? Yes. But why anyone would try and run these 18 year old cars with 18 year old original fuel pumps is mind boggling. They're OLD! They need refreshing anyways. Forget performance, focus on insurance policies. You have a very expensive motor. Upgrade the fuel system and get it behind you. Get a real wideband with full data log capability. Contract with a quality tuner that knows E85. Have a lower boost pump gas tune and a higher boost E85 tune.

Enjoy

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Did I read your earlier post right? You put about 300-500 miles a year on your car? If that's true, and you're just not satisfied with '500' whp, keep it simple and upgrade the blower, and then use the appropriate/recommended pulley with a safe tune for the octane fuel you have up there. I assume it's 93. Personally I wouldn't go E85 at this point which requires more fuel system upgrades. Especially if you're not intending to race and you don't drive it all that much. JMO, though.

Yep, man if I remember right I met you years and years ago, you used to do those gaskets? Back when I was stationed in Texas. Maybe I'm going crazy though. Anyhow, yeah, don't drive it much but when I do I just don't get that excitement anymore, maybe I'm getting old, maybe I just need more power. Yeah I get 93 here in back in my racing days used TORCO when I was spraying. Like I said, no problem putting new bigger pumps in the tank, a BAP, injectors or whatever but just running fuel lines and crap, kind of wanted to stay away from that. On the sites alot of them say the factory fuel system is good for 700, tuner said that after about 600 rwhp you need a return style fuel system. What little I drive it, don't want to get stupid but sure would be nice to love it as much as I use to.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, man if I remember right I met you years and years ago, you used to do those gaskets? Back when I was stationed in Texas. Maybe I'm going crazy though. Anyhow, yeah, don't drive it much but when I do I just don't get that excitement anymore, maybe I'm getting old, maybe I just need more power. Yeah I get 93 here in back in my racing days used TORCO when I was spraying. Like I said, no problem putting new bigger pumps in the tank, a BAP, injectors or whatever but just running fuel lines and crap, kind of wanted to stay away from that. On the sites alot of them say the factory fuel system is good for 700, tuner said that after about 600 rwhp you need a return style fuel system. What little I drive it, don't want to get stupid but sure would be nice to love it as much as I use to.
Small world. Yeah, that was me. I still sell the shifter gaskets. Going on 18 years now. :cool:

Thanks for your comments about what you're really looking for, going forward. My previous point still stands. Don't complicate your setup if you're only looking for a modest power increase to "stir your juices" again. LOL. One of the things about performance mods is initially, the increased power is felt and appreciated. Brings back the fun factor.....for awhile. And then you're too settled with what you have and in many cases then you're wanting more. It can be a vicious and expensive cycle if you're not careful. When I had my Cobra, I was very happy with 504whp. I never considered a blower upgrade, or a turbo setup. I'm probably the exception and not the rule, though. If I still had that Cobra, I'd probably still be content with '500'. I would have instead spent the money on suspension upgrades, wheels, cooling, and regular maintenance.

On a side-note, it doesn't aways take more power to bring back that old excitement. Sometimes it's a set of new wheels, coil-overs (or lowering springs), other suspension upgrades, a new MGW shifter, etc. You get what I mean. It isn't just about more power to many Cobra owners.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
yeah that makes sense, just don't know what that would be. She is lowered, shifter, new rims and tires last year, exhaust etc. Some say to just find a good deal on a 2.3 whipple, factory fuel system no problem, get me into that upper 500 RWHP world, don't have to do much. Some say don't waste your money, you will barely notice the difference. The other big issue is tuners. I used HPP in 2004 I believe, car has been running like a top for almost 20 years, never an issue, don't want some knucklehead tuning it but i imagine a lot of things have advanced in 20 years. If I'm going to haul the car way down there, kind of dumb for a mild upgrade.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I just wanted to chime in here. Lost of good advice here so far. Op you don't strike me as someone that thinkers with your car often. Sounds like your a bit bored and looking to drop a few $$$ into the car to make it interesting again. My vote is to not over complicate things. Do a new whipple 2.3 or similar Kenne Bell, larger injectors, new fuel pumps and possibly a boost a pump depending on what pumps you get. Run 93 octane and enjoy your 600 whp. E85 is a fantastic upgrade but sounds like it may be a bit more involved that what you currently want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread