What stock cam timing is best and to get a slight lope.

shurur

Established Member
Somewhat agree with slo984now.
IMO the only real reason for new cams or OEM cam adustment is to make more power.
Adjusting the OEM cams to be matched head to head (both heads "knowing" where TDC is) will gain you some RWHP.

From my understanding, adjusting them to a different that OEM setting, puts the power in the RPM range you want it.

The OEM cams come from the factory adjusted by hand only to the chain links; so actual degreeing is just luck of the draw.

Here you go:
OEM CAMS INFO
https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/installing-cams-in-01-cobra-with-stock-engine.834921/

na svt #46

is it absolutely necessary to degree the cams?

The answer is yes. Degreeing the cam ensures they are where you want them. Additionally, advancing/retarding the cams puts the powerband where it needs to be to best suit your needs. Moving the cams from the stock position can do many things: add mid range hp/tq, raise or lower the rpm where peak power occurs, prevent the drop off power after peak, etc.

The stock lobe centers are 119/110, this is good for emissions and upper rpm power with low mid range hp and tq.

1. 108/114 is good for mid range hp, tq and will put peak power at 6000rpm, power will drop off rapidly after peak

2. 108/120, good for mid range hp and tq, peak at 6000, power will not drop off as fast as #1

3. 110/118 a little less mid range hp and tq and peak will occur just over 6000, power will not drop off as fast #1

4. 112/118 less mid range and tq than #3 but peak will occur higher, around 6200, less power drop after peak than #3, good for FI

5. 114/116, good for carrying power out past peak, works well with short runners, needs more gear than the other options, good for FI

Intake lobe centers higher than 114 are good for fuel mileage emissions, terrible for n/a power.

Other threads
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/cobra-cams-install.760575/

1999 - 2001 Cobra intake cams?

Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
So how are those 99-04 4v Mustangs on youtube loping? It seems possible even if not ideal.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
So how are those 99-04 4v Mustangs on youtube loping? It seems possible even if not ideal.

New build: Stage 3 cams, the springs they need, 10.6:1 compression, 1 7/8" headers, no cats and the tune not being 100% on yet. Still not that crazy sound, 4v dont sound like pushrods.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member

Aftermarket cams. My post was a quick response to say you're not going to get a lope with the stock cams and some tuning wizardry. At least not with keeping the car somewhat driveable. I know there's a ghost cam tune for the 11+ 5.0, but they all say low speed driving sucks.

If you want lope, get the cams.

shurur

Established Member
Thanks for the info, ive seen those svt na specs before, the # 2 and 3 seemed to fit what i want. All of those seem so far off from stock ??, I wonder if na svt actually did dynos with all those spec? As far as lope----I know Im not going to get much but i thought a change in timing would maybe give just a slight amount?

I am quite sure that those cam settings are backed by dyno results. I consider the source.

Just getting a cam degree kit together and practicing degreeing with the OEM cams would be a valuable exercise.

If you do decide to get cams, contact na svt (Todd Warren) about his custom cams through (Bullet?).
They are less expensive than Comp Cams.

Users who are viewing this thread