What size turbo?

fangs99

Established Member
I'm building the engine now and looking into a custom single setup and my goal is 700-750 rwhp on pump/ meth. Here's the specs on the engine : stock crank, Manley rods, Diamond pistons 9.3:1 CR mildly ported 01 heads with bigger valves and GT supercar cams.

So what turbo do you guys recomend I still want a fast spool and car is a stick.
The turbo I'm currently looking at is a Presion 6562 billett wheel 65mm turbo it's rated for 750whp. I'm just starting to learn about turbo cars and so any advice would be great.

Digital

Established Member
I'm building the engine now and looking into a custom single setup and my goal is 700-750 rwhp on pump/ meth. Here's the specs on the engine : stock crank, Manley rods, Diamond pistons 9.3:1 CR mildly ported 01 heads with bigger valves and GT supercar cams.

So what turbo do you guys recomend I still want a fast spool and car is a stick.
The turbo I'm currently looking at is a Presion 6562 billett wheel 65mm turbo it's rated for 750whp. I'm just starting to learn about turbo cars and so any advice would be great.

Omg someone who posted all the info we actually need. Yay.

Turbo ratings are flywheel ratings. So a 750hp turbo will not get you 750rwhp. Maybe 600-650rwhp.
As a rule of thumb you want advanced lightened wheels for spool time and what ever the best bearings the company you pick offers. That's usually going to be dual ball bearing.

After you hand over your college fund for the better bearings and wheel it will come down to coating and porting. Some brands offer coating which will increase the longevity of the unit and help with heat distribution.
Porting is usually not an option but if offered will add more air flow and power to the unit. Both options are usually not cheap at all.
I would personally spring for the bearing and wheel upgrade. The coating to me isn't THAT big of a deal and for your setup the porting is probably too over the top for the $$ involved vs gains.

A big thing about turbos is warranty. There are a few statistics on which companies have the most recalls. It's usually between 4-9%. Some companies offer a warranty, some don't. For instance borg warner has one of the lowest returns. Like 2%. But offers no warranty.

Now that we got the "options" covered we can look at the actual turbo itself.
Spool time is going to have a lot to do with intake vs exhaust side of the unit.
I'm not going to get into the deep meat of how a turbo works. You can google that and learn more then I could type in a week about them just in the first couple websites that come up.
You'll want to pick a turbo with a ~1000hp rating most likely. That will probably be a 76 with a big a/r or a 78 with a smaller a/r. I like going a bit fatter so if it was me I'd pick a 78 with a .96 a/r. But you could probably get away with a 76 with a .96 a/r and be right where you want.
Also if you really know spot on what you want for your car you can fill out a sheet for most of the turbo companies and they will graph out a flow chart to get your spool time where you want and your peak hp where you want at the boost level you desire.

I can't really comment on the model of turbo you might want to look into for that. I would call the main 3 companies and tell them exactly what you want and the model and "options" that will get you your desired results. Then come back with that to the forums and we'll tell you if the advise was good and which brand to go with.

P.S. I spend 30 min writing a reply and Mr.GSXR1000 says it all in a sentence pretty much lol.

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
Omg someone who posted all the info we actually need. Yay.

Turbo ratings are flywheel ratings. So a 750hp turbo will not get you 750rwhp. Maybe 600-650rwhp.
As a rule of thumb you want advanced lightened wheels for spool time and what ever the best bearings the company you pick offers. That's usually going to be dual ball bearing.

After you hand over your college fund for the better bearings and wheel it will come down to coating and porting. Some brands offer coating which will increase the longevity of the unit and help with heat distribution.
Porting is usually not an option but if offered will add more air flow and power to the unit. Both options are usually not cheap at all.
I would personally spring for the bearing and wheel upgrade. The coating to me isn't THAT big of a deal and for your setup the porting is probably too over the top for the $$ involved vs gains.

A big thing about turbos is warranty. There are a few statistics on which companies have the most recalls. It's usually between 4-9%. Some companies offer a warranty, some don't. For instance borg warner has one of the lowest returns. Like 2%. But offers no warranty.

Now that we got the "options" covered we can look at the actual turbo itself.
Spool time is going to have a lot to do with intake vs exhaust side of the unit.
I'm not going to get into the deep meat of how a turbo works. You can google that and learn more then I could type in a week about them just in the first couple websites that come up.
You'll want to pick a turbo with a ~1000hp rating most likely. That will probably be a 76 with a big a/r or a 78 with a smaller a/r. I like going a bit fatter so if it was me I'd pick a 78 with a .96 a/r. But you could probably get away with a 76 with a .96 a/r and be right where you want.
Also if you really know spot on what you want for your car you can fill out a sheet for most of the turbo companies and they will graph out a flow chart to get your spool time where you want and your peak hp where you want at the boost level you desire.

I can't really comment on the model of turbo you might want to look into for that. I would call the main 3 companies and tell them exactly what you want and the model and "options" that will get you your desired results. Then come back with that to the forums and we'll tell you if the advise was good and which brand to go with.

P.S. I spend 30 min writing a reply and Mr.GSXR1000 says it all in a sentence pretty much lol.

lol way to show me up...haha what he said^^

fangs99

Established Member
thanks for the info. i just got off the phone with Presion. they are E-mailing me that sheet to map out a turbo. thanks for the help

1crzhrs

1CRZHRS
Established Member
i'd say 76 at a minimum, my 62mm maxed out at 607 on my 2-valve at 16.5 psi with 93 octane and 15* timing. one day i'll be getting a 76mm billett wheel precision so i can turn it up! lol good luck and post up a build thread.

fangs99

Established Member
Once i get pics of the long block build i'll start a build thread. you guys should see the timing cover. i had it and the coilcovers cromed. the intake manifold hat and valve covers are gloss black. i'm thinking about puting a GT500 grill badge on top of the intake hat.

Users who are viewing this thread