What size pulley and where to get pillar and gauges from?

SB-L

Established Member
I got a 2003 HD F-150 and I just ordered some longtube headers and before i wanted to install them, i wanted to order me a lower pulley and change my plugs and get it tuned, but i was wondering what size pulley to get and upper or lower or both. It is my DD and i dont want too much boost or stress the block. Any help would be appreciated.
Also, where can i get a good set of a pillar and gauges from? Thanks again in advance.

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
If you are DDing the truck I would stick with either a 4# or 6# lower at the most. Change you plugs out to NGKTR6's when you change the pulley and get a new tune done.

The block can handle it no problem, but just be careful of the NO NO's as the rods are your week point.

--- No 2 gear kickdowns
--- No WOT blasts into OD, make sure OD is off if you go WOT
--- No WOT blasts in colder weather (I say 55* or lower) as the cold dense air will up your boost

As for getting a pillar pod --- search the boards for guys selling theirs...its usually the cheapest and easiest way to get a good one. Hard part is deciding if you want a 2 or 3 gauge pod.

Guages are going to be personal preference for design & color options.

I personally run Autometer Cobalt Blue Gauges, Black Face, Chrome Bezel for my Boost(located on steering column in pod) and Water Temp (cut hole in radio bezel on driver side below vent and mounted), Autometer Chrome bezel, white face Wideband and Dual Interceptor in my Triple Pillar Pod.

torrey

Established Member
a pillar gauge mod

I went with Glow shift gauges and their tripple pillar post. Problem with theirs is it does not just slip over the existing pilar cover. I had to cut the heck out of it and add in a black screw to the top of the cover to hold it in place.
Looks good now.
I went with a Boost, voltage and trans temp gauge.. ran into one problem. the trans temp sensor. the bolt in the transmission for the test port, rounded off. Now going to have to drill it out then change the fluids.. great day.

here is a video of the 3rd seat mod i did, but you can see the pillar post in the video

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfAQhVotbZ0"]VID 00013 20110813 1546 - YouTube[/nomedia]

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
That sucks about it rounding off. If you haven't done so already, you might as well do the Valve Body and 4X4 pan since your dranning the fluid.

For my pillar pod, I removed the stocker instead of trying to put the pod over. had to use the drill a hole and screw in place method also, but thankfully it is under the weather stripping so you can't see it.

Nice job on the 3rd seat mod...looks great!

Loving the LEDs also....been on my list for a little bit to do.

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
Sorry for my absence...its been crazy and I have been on other forums. I would contact Mike at Madenterprise. I believe he has both and his prices are good.

baer42

Established Member
Get a Moroso pan instead of a 4x4 one. Cheapest place to get a pulley is from the want ads on this site

JorgeeSVT02

I have an SVT lightning 02 with an air intake and some short tube bassani headers looking into chipping it and adding crank pulley and maybe the supercharger pulley. but i am a bit confused with the tunning how does what work?

oki

Step up or STFU!
Established Member
I have an SVT lightning 02 with an air intake and some short tube bassani headers looking into chipping it and adding crank pulley and maybe the supercharger pulley. but i am a bit confused with the tunning how does what work?

If you are going to change the pulley's (no chip is needed) don't forget to change your spark plugs at the same time also. If you are stock with the eaton, to just wake the truck up I would say a 4# or 6# lower with no change in the upper will be good to go...get NGKTR6 plugs and check the gap charts available on either this site or Welcome to the National Harley Truck Owners Club or LightningRodder.com

Tuning is needed to insure your timing & A/F is on for what you want so you don't blow it up. You can either get a mail order tune or do a dyno tune. I would recommend a dyno tune from a tuner in your area or close so you can also pick up a hand held at the same time...I know my tuner usually offers a package deal on the 2 plus I don't personally trust a mail order tune. I will only accept tweeks to my original tune from my tuner after, as he has my base line on file from the dyno sessions.

Don't forget to get an oil seperator and a A/F wideband gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread