What should I use to seal my headers?

robert presti

Established Member
I have Kooks long tube headers on my car. The collector is just slipped over the individual tubes. If they were welded you wouldn't be able to remove them from the car. I think they leak to some degree... not sure how that is effecting O2 readings. If welding is not an option what else is rather than red RVT silicone? This might be part of my low throttle and idle errors. I'll know when I force the car open loop.

robert presti

Established Member
I have Kooks long tube headers on my car. The collector is just slipped over the individual tubes. If they were welded you wouldn't be able to remove them from the car. I think they leak to some degree... not sure how that is effecting O2 readings. If welding is not an option what else is rather than red RVT silicone? This might be part of my low throttle and idle errors. I'll know when I force the car open loop.
I just bought a Innovate dual wideband and they talk about a pinhole in a weld skewing the results. I know this is possible, but have seen many cars with massive exhaust leaks run fine. How critical could it be???? I would still like to seal the collectors to the header tubes one way or the other.

decipha

Established Member
even the tinyest of exhaust leaks will cause the wideband to read wrong, with longtubes i always force thrm into open loop at idle and lean it out until it idles at the best leanest point just like youd tune idle back in the carb days

is there any way you can put clamps on it?

Users who are viewing this thread