• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

What Shortblock Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Engine/Tuning' started by Rossim22, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Rossim22

Rossim22 New Member Established Member

I made an earlier thread, titled weird. Car will be a DD, probably sticking with ported eaton with spray and moving up in the future. Would you go for a modular 4.6 or stroked to a 4.75 or 5.0? What would be the HP gains over stock? Higher compression? How about the lightning/navigator's 5.4? Any other odds and ends you can think of besides head cooling mod?

Thanks

2. Ironhand

Ironhand Banned

Those are big differences and all your stuff wont fit on a 5.4 without modification.

I have a 5.4 in my car.

3. SlowSVT

SlowSVT Well-Known Member Established Member

Your question here is a bit open ended. Best to do your own research and figure out what's best for you (the search function here is your friend). Can you assemble your own motor?

An iron Boss 5.0 block that is not stroked is the best foundation for a mod motor.

4. Rossim22

Unfortunately I cannot, I'm a college student and don't have nearly enough tools or experience. I've been researching as much as possible and have come to the same conclusion. A boss 5.0 would be a better choice to the stroked mod 5.0? The cheapest Boss would be the 5.15 for $3899 since the 900SE 4.75 is cheaper than the 900 4.6. However the 900S 5.0 is only $3399

5. asierra1

asierra1 Member Established Member

Give MMR a call. They're great with customer service, and will walk you through anything you want. Not to mention, they really know their stuff

6. Rossim22

Yeah thats what I figured, I just gave them a PM inquiring about their 900 Boss 5.0

7. Brutal Metal

Brutal Metal Well-Known Member Established Member

I see your in Fort Myers? Look into Ronnie Crawford for your motor build, he'll do you right!

8. Brutal Metal

Yes MMR builds good motors BUT since your a new member I'm thinking you haven't read enough motor threads on svtp?:beer:

9. Brutal Metal

I'd take an Aluminum anyday BUT we've already battled this topic before:rockon:

10. SlowSVT

..........and how! :-D

Different strokes for different folks :beer:

11. bambinov8

bambinov8 600WHP LOL Established Member

Why not re using your iron block ?? Get some diamond pistons , ARP hardware , cometic gaskets , clevite bearings , re using your manley rods and crank ! Now u have your self a good 900whp block !

12. snakerider

snakerider SVT-DROP Established Member

double post sorry

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  13. snakerider

snakerider SVT-DROP Established Member

+1 yes sir, That' why I used Boss big bore block for my build.

14. Senkak

Senkak SVT Poster Established Member

What happened to your current motor?

15. TRBO VNM

TRBO VNM Authorized Vendor Authorized Vendor

I just kept my stock block, crank and rods. Put in higher compression custom pistons. It was the cheapest route, quality build and it will hold over 1000rwhp. Since I am not planning that much, it will do just fine for me.

16. asierra1

asierra1 Member Established Member

Only a new member to this forum. I've been around, and modding, mustangs for about seven years. I personally built a 98 gt to 340hp N/A when i was sixteen. I've also been reading these forums for about a year (nothing much else to do while in Afghanistan), and only joined because I finally bought a cobra. Regardless, OP, MMR has great customer service and excellent knowledge on the subject. I'm going with them on my future 5.3 build :beer:

17. Rossim22

I currently have a teksid block, diamond pistons w/ 9.1:1 cr, arp hardware, then reused rods, crank. About 6 months ago, the heads had a valve seat come loose, never dropped. the heads were replaced with oem w/ a valve job and bottom end inspected. Went to shop #2 for tune and n2o install put down 525whp/665whp, then went return fuel and power dropped to 505whp. Then after repeatedly going back with small driveability issues, all was good. 3rd run on blower only (never hit the button) the motor got hurt.

The shop that tuned and did most recent work is paying for parts and labor and theyre in the process of tearing it down now. With a quick scope of the cylinder it looks like a piston kissed a valve on driver side and broken ringland on passenger side. If there's enough damage that a new assembled shortblock would be more cost efficient then we'd go that route, I can pay for upgrades while we're there so I'm trying to get an idea of what to look for and what application best fits my needs.

I'd like a tame DD that makes good power on my posi ported eaton and extra n2o to take out the big guys, the car rarely sees dragstrips. So far my thoughts are 5.15 Boss from MMR w/ 9.5CR but a lot of local guys don't like them and claim they can be trouble.

18. Rossim22

Bump. What are the pros and cons of higher compression, say 9.5:1?

19. 1QUICK10TH

1QUICK10TH Just A GT Established Member

This x10000

20. SlowSVT

That compression is better in a turbo or centrifugal blower.

In a PD blower...............not so much.