what rpm to launch at ?

themarmot

Established Member
i know nothing about drag racing but was wondering if i go down to the raceway this summer what would be a good rpm to launch from in the 1/4 mile ? Good power but not over spin the tires for the best ET possible. Sorry if this is a silly newbie question.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'd start around 3500rpm and work up or down from there. I used to launch my 01 around 4000. I have friends that launch closer to 5k. If you have stock gears you might have to feather the clutch to get a good launch.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
What kind of power is the car making? What tires are you using? On streets tires you won't get good traction no matter how much you slip the clutch.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I quick slip mine from 5000-5500 depending how the track prep is for the irs bias ply tires don’t continually launch with street tires and don’t even consider drag radials unless you want to break it. I’ll suggest you throw the full tilt boogie racing catalog at it, good shocks, springs don’t really matter but I cut my best 60’ on cut stock ones. Others will say level 5 half shafts and other things too

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'd start around 3500rpm and work up or down from there. I used to launch my 01 around 4000. I have friends that launch closer to 5k. If you have stock gears you might have to feather the clutch to get a good launch.
3500 on street radials? haha... Also if he has a 99 with 28 spline half shafts 3500 isn't a very safe # no matter what tire. I leave between 2-2.5K with M/T ET Streets and haven't grenaded an axle yet..

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Is there things i can do to the IRS to help it hook up better ?

Number one best mod for hooking are tires. You could do a million dollars of suspension work, but if you stay on those Goodyear eagles it will all be useless. Practice slipping the clutch at low rpms.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
3500 on street radials? haha... Also if he has a 99 with 28 spline half shafts 3500 isn't a very safe # no matter what tire. I leave between 2-2.5K with M/T ET Streets and haven't grenaded an axle yet..
I was just giving my experience. But then I was running drag radials and never grenaded an axle at the track either. That happened on the street after I doubled my power.

Users who are viewing this thread