What problems with 03 Cobras?

03Silver10th

Established Member
Hi to everyone -
Just picked up an 03 Silver 10 anniversary Cobra (see pic below).
Has anyone noticed a vibration when you hit around 80 or so? I don't think it is the tires, it feels like the drivetrain. I also heard there are some problems associated with the 03s. Anyone know of any? Thanks.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
that should be your drive shaft. It could be improperly balanced, or you could have just gotten one that was poorly made. I think the dealer will fix this under warranty.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Silver10th
Hi to everyone -
Just picked up an 03 Silver 10 anniversary Cobra (see pic below).
Has anyone noticed a vibration when you hit around 80 or so? I don't think it is the tires, it feels like the drivetrain. I also heard there are some problems associated with the 03s. Anyone know of any? Thanks.

Many people have the vibe also. Do a search for 03 cobra problems and you will find tons of posts about the vibe and stalling issues.

Oh congratulations on your new ride! Sweet choice! Have any mods in mind yet? Welcome to SVTP!

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
The "TERMINATOR" section of this site is for 03 Cobra. I'm sure several can help you out. What you are experiencing isn't really uncommon. If I were you, I'd just go ahead and give your car to me so you don't have to worry about any problems. j/k

Nice choice of car! Were you a Mustang fan before you bought this car? :thumbsup:

03Silver10th

Established Member
Thanks for all of the feedback. My planned mods are as follows:
Tint
Clifford alarm
Steeda Tri Ax + Red shifter knob
Steeda cold air intake
Steeda strut tower brace
Kenny Brown extreme sub system
SLP Xpipe + exhaust (when available)
Fikse FM5 wheels w/ Yokohama AVS Sport tires 17X11 on rear w/ 315/35/17s & 17X9.5 on the front w/ 275/40/17s
Undecided if I am going to mess with a chip/ smaller pulley setup yet...

Last edited:

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
drool.gif
black 98 Cobra
drool.gif

My favorite bodystyle/year Cobra :D

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
call svt up direct, I think it is something like 1-800-ford-svt, something, or just take it to the dealer and have them look it up. Good luck fixing the vibe, and great looking car :beer:

racer726

Established Member
Here's some info...

Just keep in mind that the 2003 already has a lot of the fixes... such as lower rear diff mount, improved companion flange, moose balls, stiffer bushings.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~ctfrench/procedure.htm

http://www.lx.net/jlynch/fieldbalance_r1.html

http://www.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/irsvibes.html

Just to arm you with some information to keep the SVT dealer honest. The new Factory Service Manuals also have a lot more information on drivetrain vibes. Don't be too concerned about it other than the NVH... it's just that the IRS really transmits the noise to the body of the car.

I'm a new hire at Earnharts in Chandler AZ (sales) and they are an SVT dealer, and their service people seem pretty sharp on this type of stuff. It used to be bad in the early days, but nowadays they know how to handle the problem.

I have balanced mine myself, and it's very smooth even at high speeds (took an angle change as well as clocking, and balancing for me... 99 IRS though, with poly subframe bushings)

Good luck,

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread