What power adder really is the right choice??

cbr repsol

Established Member
Well im back in the game after selling my beloved 04 mysichrome in 2011.
Flash forward 7 years after all the stuff ive been through. I purchased a new base gt with a manual trans. Msrp was almost 37k , got her for 29,871 plus tax.

I really dont know what i want now..lol
The problem is i had a whipple on my cobra so im partial to that. But i keep watching videos and im like maybe i should go turbo?? Then im like a nice centrifugal would do. Then im like naa, need to stick with whipple. So im very torn on what i want . They all seem to make great power. So as far as hp goes i want it all! The most i can get out of the stock short block that i can get off of e-85
So what should one do with the way i think?
Lol
Also im gonna be a couple years out. I gotta save since i dont wanna finance speed parts . Working hard and taxes should hopefully get me there in a year or two.
Thanks for any input

boduke0220

Established Member
Whippple or TVS. Drove my car all over the place with both making 850rwhp. Indiana, Georgia, SC, Florida ( where it went 165 in the half mile, and drove home). bolt on and forget.

hotrod_renegade

Established Member
Having had a centrifugal setup on my 2011 GT, I decided to go with the Whipple on my current setup for a couple major reasons:

1. Room to work/ease of install - By the time you get all of the brackets and intercooler piping in there, it is a nightmare to work on. Something as simple as changing a belt resulted in two hours' work and scrapes and cuts all over my hands. Changing the BOV was a pain. Changing out the intercooler piping clamps was a pain. Even worse with the stock radiator support and sway bar in the way, I swapped that all out with a UPR lightweight radiator support just so I could have more room to work. I had to trim the front fan shroud and belly pan just to sandwich the intercooler piping in between the fan and front cover. Everything with the Whipple kit is plug and play and once installed looks like it came that way from the factory.

2. Cost - No doubt, the centrifugal kits are quite a bit cheaper right out of the box. But...I added a higher stall torque converter to get the car into the power band quicker. Then a Torque booster wastegate setup to try and mimic the low and mid range power of a TVS or twin screw blower. Then I started losing boost through the stock vortech blowoff valve, so I had to buy a Tial BOV. Then I ran into belt slip issues, so I upgraded to a complete 8-rib belt drive setup and even then I still had issues with the belt chirping that I never could figure out. Then I had to upgrade to all t-bolt clamps for the intercooler piping because the worm gear clamps weren't enough to hold it all together under boost. Plus cost for a custom remote tune from Lund Racing vs. a good, reliable tune right out of the box from Whipple. When it was all said and done I was right up there(over, actually)with whipple/vmp kit pricing.

Don't get me wrong, I did have a lot of fun with that car and once I had it dialed in it made awesome power. Some guys like tinkering with stuff like that all the time - I did when I was younger. But the older I get the less time I want to spend constantly screwing around with stuff to get it the way I want it. The Whipple is clean, simple, and makes big, reliable power right out of the box.

Just my .02. Turbo setups will make the most power out of them all, but I've never run one so can't really add a lot of input there. No matter which way you go the car will be a riot!

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
What kind of power do you want? That's the question. You're ceiling for power will be much higher with turbos!

But, a VMP powered Coyote is pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blownstang4.6

Established Member
From following Palm Beach Dyno on FB, it seems that pd, centri, and turbo are all running around the same times. I'm sure the psi differs between the setups a little but they all seem to hit in the mid to low 9's range on the stock motor.

They also just did a Whipple tune vs their tune comparison and the car gained 60 something hp with the PBD tune over the supplied Whipple tune.

If price is a big concern then centri will be the best option. You can get a Vortech or Paxton complete new kit with programmer and tune for $7k.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
photo-1-1.jpg

DarkMach1

Established Member
Given that post is entirely aimed at HP on a dyno I’d say Whipple 2.9 or VMP gen 3 on E85. Will be reliable fun car.

TVSed GT

Established Member
What kind of power do you want? That's the question. You're ceiling for power will be much higher with turbos!

But, a VMP powered Coyote is pretty amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. I bought a vmp kit and install was ridiculously straightforward, torque on demand, stock like manners when you’re not in the throttle. Go gen 2 or if you have dreams of 900+rwhp gen 3 kit and with their tune you will not be disappointed!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
VMP doesnt offer a blower for the 18 so it's Whipple, Centri, Edelbrock 2650, or turbos at this point.

Ive had them all (literally) and went back to turbos. Centri made way too much noise and was kind of weak sauce until the uber high rpm range. TVS hit is very addictive, but again.. no VMP offering as of yet (maybe try the edelbrock?). Whipple is VERY nice but pricey.... try to get one on holiday sale maybe.

Curt@injected

VMP doesnt offer a blower for the 18 so it's Whipple, Centri, Edelbrock 2650, or turbos at this point.

Ive had them all (literally) and went back to turbos. Centri made way too much noise and was kind of weak sauce until the uber high rpm range. TVS hit is very addictive, but again.. no VMP offering as of yet (maybe try the edelbrock?). Whipple is VERY nice but pricey.... try to get one on holiday sale maybe.

Im pretty sure roush is making kits for them so that is another option. Their kits aren't bad depending on what your goals are. That and whipple are both good choices for a street car but I'm biased toward pd blowers.

Recon

Established Member
VMP 2.65L TVS is what is use. Also excellent choice on Royal Crimson, #2 color of on my list for 18+ Coyotes.

Pick your poison.

TVSed GT

Established Member

Yep, my bad forgot I was in a S550 forum. Think VMP 18 kit will be ready in a few months though

Users who are viewing this thread