What oil for fresh 99 cobra engine

Josh7178

Established Member
Just wondering your guys' opinions on oil (brand and weight) for a freshly rebuilt 99 cobra. I live in Kentucky so iits a pretty hot climate and the car will be garage kept in the winter. The car will rarely see the track if any at all. I will however, run the car on the street pretty hard when I can. Also, is break in oil just a gimmick or is it something I should consider? Any and all information will be appreciated!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Break in oil before using a true synthetic is highly recommended. Amsoil has a petroleum based straight 30 grade break in lubricant that will seat piston rings rapidly.

Amsoil Break in lube

What mods and what power level are you expecting with the new engine?

Josh7178

Established Member
As of right now it's just a .20 over full bolt on car with some minor porting of the heads with larger valves. Hoping to pick up a turbo setup this winter. But right now I'm hoping to put down 330 hp to the wheels with the current set up...that's for the recommendation on break in oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
After break in, I'd opt for Amsoil AZO 0W-30 and Amsoil EaO11 oil filter. Normally, northern cars that are not driven during the winter months would get 10W-30 ATM, but AZO does not shear at all. This is really unheard of from commonly found off the shelf lubricants with a "0W" designation.

I've seen UOAs from Terminators in the 450-550 rwhp range that did not shear Amsoil AZO 0W-30. It's truly a remarkable lubricant.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
After break in, I'd opt for Amsoil AZO 0W-30 and Amsoil EaO11 oil filter. Normally, northern cars that are not driven during the winter months would get 10W-30 ATM, but AZO does not shear at all. This is really unheard of from commonly found off the shelf lubricants with a "0W" designation.

I've seen UOAs from Terminators in the 450-550 rwhp range that did not shear Amsoil AZO 0W-30. It's truly a remarkable lubricant.

I'm been thinking about tryin AZO 0w30 for this winter in the Explorer :shrug: Gets damn cold in the midwest in December - February.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm been thinking about tryin AZO 0w30 for this winter in the Explorer :shrug: Gets damn cold in the midwest in December - February.

If it wasn't for the 3% change in NOACK Volatility, I'd recommend it for most low to mid powered applications calling for a 30 grade. I know, seems minor, but I really hate oil vapors being sucked into the engines intake, and 10W-30 ATM has an ultra low NOACK of 5%. On another note, Amsoil 0W-30 NOACK @ 8% is still lower than 99.9% of every off the shelf lubricant you can find. They are all ranging from 10 to 13%

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread