What oil for e85 and 91 octane fuel use?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Looking to switch from the regular 5w20 motorcraft oil and want to get into a synthetic that will work the best.

Where I live it can be 105degree's in the summer and 30degree's in the winter, e85 is used during feb-oct then switched back to 91 octane during the winter. Car see's the drag strip during the e85 summer time.

Car will maybe see 5-7k miles a year on it.

What would be the best oil brand/ weight for my situation to keep it at 1 oil change per year and will provide me with the best protection with running e85.

-Thomas

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Using E85, I lean towards Amsoil RD30 Dominator, however....I do not have UOA reports confirming safety beyond a 6 month interval. I'm sure it may be possible, but I like hard facts on paper.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 Signature series is the next best thing.

Royal Purple HPS and XPR are also great choices, however....XPR is very pricey.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Im leaning towards maybe useing Amsoil SS 10w30 during the winter with the 91 octane, then switching over to Amsoil RD30 Dominator during the summer when useing e85. Also thinking about just sticking with the motorcraft oil filter each time.

Any thoughts on that?

-Thomas

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Im leaning towards maybe useing Amsoil SS 10w30 during the winter with the 91 octane, then switching over to Amsoil RD30 Dominator during the summer when useing e85. Also thinking about just sticking with the motorcraft oil filter each time.

Any thoughts on that?

-Thomas

Good idea on your oil choices, but not so much the filter.

I'd stick with the Amsoil EaO or Royal Purple oil filters. You want the best filtration possible while still maintaining flow. The Motorcraft filter is a good performer, but it's a $4.00 filter. You do get what you pay for.

It's not a filter I would trust during long sessions of WOT.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Good choice. What few miles you drive in the year, it may be possible to keep the same filter year round on both oil changes.

However, at $13.15 preferred customer price...it's worth the added insurance to change it.

97crystalwhite

ah whatsup DOHC?!
Established Member
?

why does it matter what oil you run? i run mobile one extended performance with e85. Are you guys out to see what has the most acid nutrilizer? is mobile one ep something i shouldnt be running?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Nothing wrong with Extended Performance, it probably one of the best formulations Mobil 1 has to offer. It's sufficient in most applications.

However, we are not here to discuss sufficient. We are discussing best of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread