What Next?

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Hello. Allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Chris. I'm not new to the Mustang scene. I'm on V8 Mustang #5. However I am new to the Cobra scene. I picked up a 2003 black convertible with 25,000 miles on it two weeks ago. I love it. She's beautiful. But I've run into a few kinks since bringing it home. Kinks that I am trying to iron out.

I've replaced the convertible top cylinders and hoses. I have a vibration in the front end that I need to chase down. I've already aligned it and balanced all wheels. I'm thinking it may be in the tie rods and/or bearings.

And today, while swapping pullies/plugs I found that the plug well for cylinder #8 has quite a bit of corrosion and debris down inside of it. I changed out plugs 1-7 but stopped at 8 for fear of removing it and the debris falling inside of the cylinder.

What I need your help with is:
  • Is this a sign of a larger, possibly catastrophic problem? Or is it mostly cosmetic, once cleaned up? I believe the corrosion came from the engine bay being power washed and water seeping in under the coil cover.
  • How do I get this cleaned up? I want to get that plug out but I can't until it is clean. I've already sprayed compressed air in the well but it didn't do too much.
  • Would it be a big deal if I drove with the TR6 plugs in 1-7 and the stock plug in 8?

Here are pics of the car and the situation with spark plug #8.

IMG_10601_zps1kzobwwy.jpg

IMG_1059_zpscxrnjtdj.jpg

IMG_11921_zps9iwku14r.jpg

IMG_1208_zpsd8of94di.jpg

Please help!!!

This weekend it is 75 degrees out. I just fixed the top last night. I was hoping to have some fun cruising around today with the top down and with a new pulley. Now I fear that that something bad is going on.

Thank you!!!

MG0h3

Established Member
Id use a pick or some small flat screwdriver and try and break it up and get it out of there. Gonna be tedious but you gotta get it outta there.

oldmodman

Established Member
Generally corrosion means that when the engine was washed the seal wasn't very good and a lot of water leaked down inside the plug hole. I would give it a ten second squirt with WD-40 and after it has sat a while blast the hole with compressed air to clean out the crud. You may have to do it several times. Then hit the hole with some corrosion spray or Break free if you have that. You want to make it as easy as possible for the plug to break loose without doing any damage to either the threads or the plug (you would hate to have the plug break in half while trying to remove it). It might be best to break it loose, but only a 16th of a turn. Then spray more spray in there. Let it work it's way down past the threads, then turn it out a 1/4 turn at a time. 1/4 turn out, then an 1/8 back in. Just to make sure that it isn't binding some of the crud into the threads.
I had a car I was working on a month ago with a similar problem. Took an hour or two but i was able to remove all the really rusty, corroded plugs without damaging any of the threads.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I went to the local auto parts store and picked up some picks. I picked away at it, blew it out with the can of air, retrofitted a gas can spout to stick down inside and attach the shop vac to the end. I was making some progress. Then I did something stupid. I sprayed a little parts cleaner down inside. The paint on the valve covers immediately started bubbling up and peeling off. God help me. Would it be a good idea to plug up the hole and spray a little paint on the top opening of the hole?

AnarchyVA

Established Member
This is the plug. There is what looks like sand hiding all up under the hex nut. I tried VERY carefully not to knock anything down in the hole. I'm scared.

Should I even start the car? I fear I have gotten something down in there and the engine is going to blow.

IMG_1221_zpsrvvxxzbn.jpg

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Little late now, but this is what I do, also works when you have to tap out a plug hole. Stick a blow gun in the throttle body and seal it with rags. Crank the engine over by hand until the intake valve opens. Wear eye protection as all of the crap will be blowing out of the spark plug hole.

Users who are viewing this thread