What mufflers to buy??

Trblmkr

Established Member
I used to have an 89 Mustang GT with 3 Chamber Flowmasters on them.

I want to replace the mufflers on my 01 Cobra so that it sounds just like the previous mufflers I owned without having to replace the whole exhaust system.

Any suggestions ???

Last edited:

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by Trblmkr
I used to have an 89 Mustang GT with 3 Chamber Flowmasters on them.

I want to replace the mufflers on my 01 Cobra so that it sounds just like the previous mufflers I owned without having to replace the whole exhaust system.

Any suggestions ???

Well, I have two 2-chamber Flows sittin in my garage unopened? But I think I will be selling them locally to some kid. If he backs out, I'll let you know.

Trblmkr

Established Member
I was told by Flowmaster that the 2 chambers won't work on a Stock 01 due to the offset of the exhaust system. The only ones that would install are the Delta Flow 40 Series.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
I was told by Flowmaster that the 2 chambers won't work on a Stock 01 due to the offset of the exhaust system. The only ones that would install are the Delta Flow 40 Series.

yeah, 40 series=2 chamber
delta flow=reduced resonance in the "drone zone"

BTW, if you're lookin to make serious hp later, flowmaster is one of the worst flowing perf mufflers, but they will get the job done for mild street combos, and I love the sound. Ultra Flows from DynoMax are good for all-out perf, they sound pretty good too.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Minor mods is all I have in mind.. Pulleys, chip, exhaust upgrades, nothing to major.

then flows will work fine, but if you might do something more extreme in the future, might wanna consider something that flows better. Personally, I think the stock catback is gonna sound just fine with my Dr. Gas X when i get the money.

TIAMAT

Established Member
MUFFS

Flows sound good but are crap mufflers. Outdated stuff. Spintech has just about the greatest sounding muffler but only a few people have heard them to talk about it. Mac flowpaths soung good too. GO BUY SPINTECH AS SOON AS YOU STOP READING THIS. :burnout:

cundiffw

Established Member
ill second that! I have the spintechs on my '99 v6 and it sounds better than most v8s! Nice horsepower gains too! ...hopefully ill have a cobra to put some on soon! Its too bad that spintech isnt marketing their product very well :coolman:

cundiffw

Established Member
as soon as my car gets out of the body shop ill try to get a recording for you...keep in mind its a 2.5 inch cat back H pipe system for my 3.8...

SVT4POP

Established Member
I have a Magnaflow system on my '99 Cobra, my son has a MAC sytem with a pro-chamber and 2 chamber MAC cat-back system. Both use 2.5" piping.

In my Magnapack system I have the X-pipe w/ cat converters hooked up to their cat-back system but instead of Magnapacks 2 or 3 chambered muffler, I opted for their 4" diameter, 14" long Magnapacks going into 3" S/S tips.

The difference in sound between the two both in resonance and volume is at opposite ends of the spectrum. The MAC system is a clean, throaty sound. The Magnapack system I have on my Cobra sounds like an unmuffled Ferrari only an octave lower.

Basically, it comes down to a matter of choice. I have absolutely no regrets about installing the Magnapack system and would do it again in a heartbeat. The only change I might make would be to install JB Shorty headers or KOOKS instead of the FRPP ceramic coated shorty headers.

One of these first days I'll get my "stuff" together and make a recording and post it along with some pic's.

ADVICE: Listen with your ears, buy whatever "boosts" your heart and your adrenaline level.:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread