what mods do you regret?

Duncan

Established Member
Procharger F-1 and 'supporting mods' on my 2V. I mean what the hell was I thinking? I drive this thing everyday and MIGHT use 10-15% of its capability. And its so loud...why in f#%#s name did I think it would be a good idea to vent to atmosphere. There isnt a day that goes by that some random old person doesnt waive their fist at me thinking I am doing 80 in a residential when I am in fact only doing 20. And you have no idea idea how many times I am approached after pulling in somewhere (gas stations, dropping the kids off at school, etc..) and asked 'What is that noise? or 'Whats wrong with it?' or handed a business card (an automotive repair business card that is. Happened just the other day waiting in line to drop the kids off at school, guy in front of me had his kid hand me one of his cards :rollseyes).......Oh god, what is happening. I am not sure, but I may have just grown old......just now. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

If I had seen this post yesterday, my response would have been 'Regrets? pfffft, I am too young to have regrets.'

Last edited:

Marc

Established Member
Great thead! Just came across it.

I actually feel good about my recent build and let me tell you, doing some research and even asking dumb questions for 2 years (like I am about to do) saved me a lot of money and trouble.

I am wondering if I should even go with headers now? Was looking at getting some ARH 1 3/4 w/Xpipe catback to go with the new Magnaflow I have new in the box. The flowmaster 40s catback seem too loud now and I have that drone as well.

Seems folks say it is not worth it. And since I have Eibach Pro lowering springs, will I know be bottoming out? Now I am thinking about just putting the Maganflows in and calling it quits. The headers are $1400. I have 622 HP on 91 Octane and 686 on 110 Octane with the 2.9 Whipple...seems like it might not even be worth the cost.

Also, my car always had the Pro 5.0 Shifter in it. It is very notchy and never really bothered me...seems like it let me know it was in gear. But, now, after reading this, seems MGW is the way to go. Maybe I need to drive a cobra with a MGW shifter.

Oh and worst mod...relocating my battery on one of my old fox bodies. Always had issues with starting after that.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
The only Mod I regret to date is tinted tail lights.

I paid over $200 for a set of custom tinted tail lights. They looked real nice for a few months, then warped. The company I ordered them from sent me a new pair with a little lighter tinting. That pair lasted a couple months and also warped. I gave up and put the stock tail lights back on.:nonono:

Lesson learned.

Vicious805cobra

Established Member
E
Which cams did you get and what specifically do you not like about them?

I have MMr s/c specd cams. The car stutters trying to take off from 1st gear, never had that problem before. I liked how much more smoother my car rode before. But owell those things are on and sure ain't going to take them off that would cost me an arm haha

Aubz

Established Member
bump

and also i am in need of a clutch for mine, everyone on here seems to not like thier spec stage 3+, what clutch should i be looking at for a dd, and only 500 ish hp, i want one that doesn't chatter

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
My biggest regret was getting cams on my cobra, I do love my exhaust idle but for my cobra being a D.D not so much

I hate reading this. I want to cam my Cobra in a bad way. I love the way a set of stage 3's sound. It's the furthest thing from a DD (nice day car, out maybe 3 times a month) but I still don't want it to drive like shit when I do take it out. It seems like results are 50/50 on them. Half the people I talk to with them said they have no issues and love them, the other half said they have horrible drive ability issues cruising around.

The only Mod I regret to date is tinted tail lights.

I paid over $200 for a set of custom tinted tail lights. They looked real nice for a few months, then warped. The company I ordered them from sent me a new pair with a little lighter tinting. That pair lasted a couple months and also warped. I gave up and put the stock tail lights back on.:nonono:

Lesson learned.

It was a blessing. Stock tail lights look so much better on yellow!

truculentSVT

Established Member
Getting a POLISHED Whipple 2.9 and all the polished things under my hood. I love the blower but I just wished I hadn't done polished. Its such a pain to keep clean. It looks amazing when its clean, but you have to practically clean it everytime you get it out --To keep it looking showroom condition anyways.

87poopstang

Established Member
wow just came across this thread best one yet...so many new ideas now for what to buy n not to buy...thanks guys :beer:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Wow this thread is 9 years old. A lot has happened. Lets see new stuff to add from over the years.

Regret going with -19 CC dished pistons and dropping my CR. Killed throttle response and gas mileage and I'm sure HP.

Regret ever using rubber fuel hose on return fuel system. The smell was horrible. Switched to PTFE hose to fix.

Regret ever doing business with Lethal Performance. Shady ass company that ripped me off and apparently many others I've seen on this forum.

Regret using the windshield washer fluid bottle for water/meth injection as it's way to small. I had to switch to a trunk mount system.

Most other mods turned out decent.

'88347coupe

just a good ol boy
Established Member
Although I bought my car completly done I would have to say the two things I dislike most about it is the crower stage 3 cams and the spec 5 clutch. I daily drive the car and its never a pleasure taking off from stop lights. You have to hit the sweet spot of just the right amount of throttle and clutch engagement or the car will stutter pretty bad. Once its doing it, feeding more throttle in makes it bog even worse. You have to completly lift out of the throttle and EASE back in it to clear it up. Idle sound awesome though...

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Once its doing it, feeding more throttle in makes it bog even worse. You have to completly lift out of the throttle and EASE back in it to clear it up.

Wonder if that could be fixed in the tune? It sure sounds like a tune thing. If not I'd be tossing those cams. I can't stand a car that won't drive right regardless of how much power it makes.

'88347coupe

just a good ol boy
Established Member
Wonder if that could be fixed in the tune? It sure sounds like a tune thing. If not I'd be tossing those cams. I can't stand a car that won't drive right regardless of how much power it makes.

It very well could be. The car was built and tuned by Horsepower by Herman, and drives fantastic other than that. Never dies, surges or anything. I'll also dont like the fact that it has aknob in the center console to switch tunes with. I dont trust it, and think a flashed pcm is mire reliable.

Last edited:

D-MANN

Established Member
Anything from Team Z... Stay away!

What's wrong with team z? I have there stuff on my solid. I haven't run it yet since its parked for winter but looks like top quality stuff to me.
tu3amuna.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread