What mods are needed to make a bolt on '05+ GT have 500 HP?

Thump_rrr

Established Member
you see how its so hesitant at the 500 range. Plus is that even ASE corrected? That is a ticking time bomb
I've never heard of a timebomb ticking for a year and a half that keeps on ticking.:shrug:
ASE corrected was not a criteria put forth by the OP.
Furthermore the blower belt was slipping and the plug gap was .035.
Jim D'Amore recommended .030 which I regapped them to after it came off the dyno.
I fail to see how with hundreds of people running in the 500rwhp range some for as long as 3 years now people can't believe it's doable.
There are nearly 1000 people using the JDM setup and tune in the 400-525rwhp range with stock internals.
The only known failure was one who claimed his fuel pressure would struggle to regain after a shift.
I'm very confident that it can last another full season but if I have the funds available this winter I will be building my shortblock.
The bottom end of these engines let go usually from detonation. Obviously these rods cannot withstand the increased cylinder pressures.
Detonation increases cylinder pressure threefold.

Last edited:

91frppgt

Banned
a friend has a 06 gt, auto. only bolt ons is a bassani axleback, UDP, and a zex nitrous kit. after tuning, on a 150 pill, it made 426 rwhp. impressive if you ask me. no track numbers yet, but it pulls like a bat outta hell with the stock 3:31 gear!

its very possible to make 500rwhp+ on the s197 stock 3v's...

MattP 343

Established Member
i don't believe that the internals on the 3v can handle that much power all the time. Their is no way a 260ishrwhp car will make close to 5 with just the blower setup. The motor wont take it.

I know some are out their but thats a ticking time bomb. These motors aren't bullet proof like the termi ones are. Not even close!
Honestly, you don't have to take mine or Thumperrrs word for it, just check out JDM Eng. or go to the S197forums.com or modularfords.com and go to the 05+ GT section. Proof in itself.

What supercharger are you running? Mods/Boost readings?

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
I laugh at the guys over at s197forums.com

I'm running a Vortec S-trim with aftercooler at 13lbs.
Fully built 302 stroked motor
Complete fuel system (60lbs, gt500 dual pump, CBR fuel rails)
headers back exhaust
3:73's
and A LOT MORE

I know the aftercooler is rescricting me so thats I ordered the intercooler and will be running meth. I want to see close to 600rwhp with that change.

Last edited:

Thump_rrr

Established Member

headers back exhaust
and A LOT MORE

I know the aftercooler is rescricting me so thats I ordered the intercooler and will be running meth. I want to see close to 600rwhp with that change.
Why would you laugh at people who are running as low as 9.85 in the 1/4 mile?
There are actually a few below the 10 second mark and quite a few in the 10's.
Jim D'Amore Jr. (JimIII@JDM) is running 11.50's N/A with a 297 stroker
So do you have any figures on how quick your car actually is?
1/8th or 1/4 mile times?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Most of the PD blower cars are running close to 500 at the wheel without a problem. I run a whipple @ 10 psi with american racing 1 5/8 longtubes and put down 490 rwhp and been running it for about 10 k miles.

killbee

Established Member
Like alot have said there are alot of s-197's out there running 500+RWHP. All boosted motors are time bombs in one way or another. I've seen 450RWP termies granade a block at 4500rpm during a dyno pull and I've seen 3v's grenade at 400rwhp on the dyno. Any motor can go at anytime but if you want hp then thats the chance you take. To answer the original question, in order to reach 500rwhp you will need to go turbo or sc. Just make sure you get dyno tuned with whatever setup you go with. Turbos will give you more hp and trq per pound of boost but can be a little harder to tune. A twin screw will give lots of trq down low and are very fun to drive on the street if you like smoking the tires alot. Cent superchargers like Paxton give you a big top end rush but at higher RPM, this is good at the track for launches and the top end pull. If your not ready to pay for a new motor I would suggest to stay in the 400rwhp to 450rwhp range to keep boost levels down. This range will handle most you will run across on the street and unmodified termies. Remember the stock termies only put down around 360rwhp and with a pulley and a tune most only see around the 450rwhp mark.

killbee

Established Member

headers back exhaust
and A LOT MORE

Hows the Vortec on the bottom end? I would assume the 13lbs of boost would give you a little better pull off the bottom.

Last edited:

SKEETER_SVT01

Living it up
Established Member
to be honest. It feels like nitrous to me. Nothing till it builds boost and then im gone. They biggest problem I am having is keeping it in boost betweem shifts(thats me I know and I'm working on it)

orange2004cobra

Established Member
It can be done with just a procharger {HO kit w/d1 from what I have seen}

I know Tim @ MV will tune a 3v stock bottom end up to 480ish @ the tire, then tune down to 450ish to help it live..

I think it would be fine at the more agressive tune level, but you are always at the mercy of possibly bad {or weak} gas..

Call MVperformance and talk with Tim or Shane or Bart about it.

They are cool guys to deal with..

MattP 343

Established Member
How much more expensive is the D1 over the P1sc? Isn't there an upgrade/discounted kit as well, say you wanted to trade in your P1sc headunit to Procharger for the D1?

orange2004cobra

Established Member
The d1 option is only about 450.00 more on the initial purchase.
Some people say its more sluggish in the 3v app, and the p1 comes on faster, but thats just an opinion. I haven't driven one equipped either way as of yet, just seen some dyno work.

You can send your p1 to ATI for a rebuild/upgrade but its over a grand.. {1400 retail I think, but dont quote me on that}

Jeremy05

Established Member
Im running 525rwhp off nitrous 585rwhp with a 75shot,

Im using a Vortec Kit, but also have internals, and Meth injection.

BLEW THE MOTOR AT 475RWHP so thats when I went stroker/forged :)

Also you have to keep in mind if you go turbo your hitting 500WHP at your shift point, FFS im sitting at 300RWHP at 2kRPMs where as most Turbo are not hitting that till about 5k! :lol: Turbo FTL

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Just curious. Got a guy driving an '05+ GT around here claiming to be running 500HP. I believe he's got a procharger setup. Just wanted to know the likelihood before throwing up the :bs:, if you know what I mean.

i bet he is stating 500 at the flywheel! 430-440rwhp is very attainable with a blower and safe tune!

ask him what he runs?:poke:

stangxs

Whipple'd 06
Established Member
I got 475rwhp with what I have in my sig, stock internals ofcourse.

Had it for a year now, not one problem. I think I'm going to get a 12psi pulley soon.

MattP 343

Established Member
Im running 525rwhp off nitrous 585rwhp with a 75shot,

Im using a Vortec Kit, but also have internals, and Meth injection.

BLEW THE MOTOR AT 475RWHP so thats when I went stroker/forged :)

Also you have to keep in mind if you go turbo your hitting 500WHP at your shift point, FFS im sitting at 300RWHP at 2kRPMs where as most Turbo are not hitting that till about 5k! :lol: Turbo FTL

I can't tell if your kidding or not, but in fear of newbies getting confused I will interject and disagee- that statement is so broad, full of variables, it is virtually incorrect.

Sure turbo's have to Rev up to make power just as a centri does but they are way more efficient at it given that they don't take power to make it. A properly sized 61mm turbo on a stock s197 with a tune and upgraded fuel system will hit full boost by 3.5K rpms if not sooner. And make more horsepower at various rpm, C.P., when compared to a centri. I would actually be interested in seeing your Dyno Graphs where you can make 300rwhp at 2K RPM (Not on Nitrous?), because that is impressive- Especially considering a guy I know is running a TS Whipple at 10psi seeing 300rwhp at right around 3K rpm.

Stock Mustang, fuel upgrades on 61mm turbo 14-18* on timing
"* 6# pull 457 RWHP Graph 1
* 8# pull 513 RWHP Graph 2
* 12# pull 567 RWHP Graph 3 (which made the stock clutch start complaining)"
Dyno Graphs

If you get off to huge power numbers low in the RPM band get a Twinscrew. Sorry if I interpreted your post wrong, I just believe that statement was incorrect and mostly full of bias due to you running a centri. FWIW I am looking to get a centri too, I just feel saying Turbo's FTL is a pretty bold statement considering all the above. I really hope you don't feel like Im attacking you, have a nice day. :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread