What mod first?

Tyler72

Established Member
What mod should I spend money on first? Ive got about $400 to spend & that's it. I was thinking maybe an MGW shifter, but I'm not disappointed with the stock one... Or I thought about some weather tech floor liners & some front mud flaps to match the factory rear ones & keep from chipping the paint down the side of the car. I could also do the side splitters that go under the stock rocker molding.

Down the road I am wanting some Kooks long tubes & Boss specific H pipe with a full 3" magnaflow exhaust. Just want it to sound good without being too loud. I just don't have $3000 to spend on that right now lol.

What about suspension? I love how the car drives & don't want to lower it any right now. But some billet lower control arms would be sweet.

86Fbody

Established Member
Since you don't want to lower, and I am not sure if the LS springs are different from the Boss springs. They really do change the car though. For control arms I would suggest Whiteline, none of the pictures do them justice, they are stupid stout and yet very light, and their instructions are so well written. You could do LCA's and relo brackets for about 450, if you felt like swinging it.

fast4v

Established Member
since you don't want to lower, and i am not sure if the ls springs are different from the boss springs. They really do change the car though. For control arms i would suggest whiteline, none of the pictures do them justice, they are stupid stout and yet very light, and their instructions are so well written. You could do lca's and relo brackets for about 450, if you felt like swinging it.

+1

KBBoss302

Established Member
There are so many neat and beneficial things that you can do for these cars that don't cost a ton of money. AED tune, MGW, LCAs, GT500 axlebacks, springs, etc etc etc. I don't know what I would start with if I had to do it all over again, although LCAs will definitely tame the wheel hop that seemed so common on the stock suspension.

And kiss that 400 bucks goodbye - once you start the 'arms race', it's all downhill for your bank account!

John

jaywoo

Soooo Boss
Established Member
$400 will cover the MGW shifter. That would be first on my list if I were to do it again.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
Haven't experienced the infamous 3rd gear lockout when power shifting the OEM wet noodle shifter yet? Once you do, you can't order the MGW fast enough. Some guys are happy just replacing the stock rear bracket, all up to the driver.

Get a pair of hood struts and sound tube delete kit. Also consider getting a wash bucket with the grit guard screen. Clay bar kit, wash pads, micro fiber towels, waffle weave drying towels, wax or polish, detail spray. I use Zaino, Adams, Chemical Guys products, but there are many other good products to choose from.

You could do all of the above in your budget.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Steeda lower rear control arms.

A nice set of lower rear control arms should be every mustang owners first mods, in my opinion. I instantly noticed a difference when i installed mine and some steeda lowering springs.

BSG Boss

Established Member
Cat deletes or an SCT Tuner!!! I saw a no bullshit 20 rwhp and 15/lbft increase on the dyno from the normal SCT strategy tune from stock!! If you want to see it for yourself look up
blk5genss on youtube!! I was able to actually load the tune into the car before I bought the tuner and that is what sold me!!!

Tyler72

Established Member
I already put together a nice cleaning kit for it. A buddy of mine bought me a cool little Ford racing trunk bag that just happened to fit perfectly in the spare tire well next to the air pump. So that stuff goes with me everywhere! Lol.

Since I am really trying to preserve the car & keep it nice, I'm thinking the floor mats & front floor liners for now. I could also get the hood struts. They can be had for less than $300 to my door, and then ill feel better about driving the car. I live out in the country & there's often dirt or gravel on the roads... I'm paranoid that something's going to sling out of a front tire & scratch the side.

I have experienced 3rd gear lock out, but not while driving it hard. I have only missed it while driving leasurely & not paying attention to the car. However, the MGW is definitely on my list! Then maybe I'll do a JLT & SCT programmer... Or rear control arms.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
I already put together a nice cleaning kit for it. A buddy of mine bought me a cool little Ford racing trunk bag that just happened to fit perfectly in the spare tire well next to the air pump. So that stuff goes with me everywhere! Lol.

Since I am really trying to preserve the car & keep it nice, I'm thinking the floor mats & front floor liners for now. I could also get the hood struts. They can be had for less than $300 to my door, and then ill feel better about driving the car. I live out in the country & there's often dirt or gravel on the roads... I'm paranoid that something's going to sling out of a front tire & scratch the side.

I have experienced 3rd gear lock out, but not while driving it hard. I have only missed it while driving leasurely & not paying attention to the car. However, the MGW is definitely on my list! Then maybe I'll do a JLT & SCT programmer... Or rear control arms.

Do control arms before power, you'll not regret it. You can actually feel the car roll out from a stop instead of how it normally feels (forgot the way it used to feel). Whats the point of power if you still have those stamped POS rubber bushing LCA's.

cobra1718

Established Member
My first mod was an axle back and then window tint. Everybody has different priorities. I have MGW shifter which is worth every penny of its cost but it was one the last mods I have done. I can see it as a first mod though.

Last edited:

kbroush

Established Member
I installed the Whiteline LCA's. It made a huge difference but I also did watts link and upper control arm. I say get rid of the wheel hop first then move on to power.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
I would do the MGW first. Not only does it help with the lockout issue but it also improves the feel dramatically. There is a reason so many people say this improved shifter is worth every penny... The wheel hop however is a very real issue, and I will address that one later this year.

MGW Demo - YouTube

ViciousJay

Established Member
JHR clutch line, swap fluids, shifter bracket, gt500 mufflers, remove resonators. That there should be around 300ish with 100 left over for a nice dinner and a few drinks

Tyler72

Established Member
Well, out of everything in your list the only thing I can see doing would be the clutch line. But why is that needed? I'm planning on a full exhaust in the future so no need for that right now. Also going to do an MGW shifter and it comes with all the brackets.

For fluids, what should I put in the trans?

Boss949

Established Member
So far here's my list in order of what I did;
1. TracKey/Removed Side Exhaust Discs
2. Roush Extreme Axle Back Exhaust
3. Redline Hood Struts
4. MGW shifter
5. Hotchkis Sport Springs/LCA's/Whiteline Relocation Brackets (All on order as of 4/13)
6. AED Tune/Airaid PJ Carbon CAI (May/June 2013)

If I had to redo the order? MGW would be first; absolutely worth it; best upgrade.

Tyler72

Established Member
Cool!

Our first mod was the same, although I wasn't really considering the track key as a "mod" since its a Ford thing. (Which, by the way, what's going to happen with the track key stuff when you get the AED tune???)

The MGW is next on my list, along with front mud flaps & the roush side splitters. Then I think I'll do the hood struts & floor liners after that. Then I'll start saving for exhaust (Kooks 1 7/8" headers, boss h pipe, magnaflow cat back) & CAI/tune.

Boss949

Established Member
Tyler72

The Airaid CAI Part # 453-174 has a removable insert. Shawn @ AED recommended it to me for this reason: Silver key with SCT/Tune the insert is removed. When using the Red Key, you have reinstall the insert (about a 10 min job?).

I know this might be a hassle, but as much as I enjoy the TracKey, I would personally use a performance tune more. I do some drag racing (on a track) and Shawn's tune for that is really good.

I'm not sure if other CAI's have that option. Also, the Airaid Carbon Fiber is much more expensive than others, but I hear it's worth it???? It has Parnelli Jones name on it!!

Tyler72

Established Member
Well, I washed the car on Tuesday evening and noticed that the rockers were already starting to get a little wear and tear on them from our lovely country roads that so often have gravel/dirt on them. So I ordered the Roush side splitters and a set of front mud flaps from American Muscle. The splitters came in on Friday so I put them on after work. They look amazing! Unfortunately AM decided that it was a good idea to ship the mud flaps USPS so 4 business days later and they are still a day or 2 out. Our awesome government at its finest lol. Anyway, been crappy weather all weekend so it's just sat in the garage staying clean while waiting on the mud flaps.

Next mod? I'm not sure yet. I'll be installing a MGW into a 2011 GT at work here soon, so I'll decide on whether to get that or just the Barton 2 post bracket after I do his install and take it for a test drive. If the stock shifter didn't have so much slop in it I would probably be happy with it. I really want to do the intake and exhaust, but I also want to invest in some better rear suspension at some point too. Too many choices! lol.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
My mod list so far on my 12 Boss:
1. Magnaflow 3" Competition Catback (midpipe back)
2. Redline Hood Struts
3. Airaid CAI with Trackey
Coming Soon:
4. Cat Deletes or o/r midpipe
5. AED tune (venturi tube removed on CAI)
6. Whiteline LCA's
7. MGW shifter
8. SVE Drift Rims/Tires (Black)
9. Ford Racing Boss specific springs
EVENTUALLY:
10. Procharger blower

Moral of the story is that everyone goes about modding their car differently. I didn't have a specific goal when I set out modding mine...I simply picked up parts off several different boards when good pricing/clearance deals came along.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread