What makes the Boss special to you?

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
image.jpg
I thought I would start a thread to help get this forum back on Boss talk.
As an original owner of my '13 Boss, I originally came to my Boss from a C6 Z06 that I had almost 6 years from new. I had also owned a '04 e46 M3 before that. My wife had just given birth to our second son and I decided I want something with a back seat. I was all in on getting a '13 GT500. Had one on ordered too. But sometime in early '12 something happened.... I drove several '09-'12 GT500s including an '11 Super Snake. The cars were fast, but also felt so big and nose heavy next to my Z06. Plus they couldn't put the power down for anything. Every time I was left feeling lack luster about the handling of the GT500. Just happened on a whim I drove a '12 Boss 302 that a friend of mine had purchased. It was never on my radar before that. I drove that car and it literally connected with it right off. The car felt much more balanced. The car was fairly powerful, but without overwhelming the chassis the way the Gt500 seemed to. Plus the car was fun to drive in a way my previous M3 was. I was immediately hooked.
I purchased my '13 Boss 302 in May of '12. Over the last 5 1/2 years I have so thoroughly enjoy my Boss. Did a little drag racing with it (ran 11.82 at 116 stock on DR)... Did a few autocrosses and a HPDE. The cars high rpm power and gearing makes it pull through the gears with a symphony to the senses. Could it use more power, sure... But it is such a well balanced package I have just added a K&N drop in and opened the side pipes. Those simple mods with the track key make the car sound and pull strong enough to put a smile on my face. I have added some suspension mods and wheels to give the car a more unique look and improve the handling. Over the last 5+ years the car has been flawless in delivering everything I have wanted out of it. I have entertained selling it, but one drive in it always cures me of that thought. In today's performace car world of 650hp Camaros and 700+hp Challengers, the Boss still delivers FUN in a way just raw power can not. Ford captured some automotive magic when the built the Boss 302. It may not be the powerhouse of the GT500, but it wins in the fun to drive category that at least to me is more important.

What's your story?

FKing1

Established Member
Had a 12 Boss, sold with 1900 miles & bought a SBY 13.
Autocross the car in SCCA SOLO Autocrosses, FS Class. It is a blast to race with the Red Key, has enough HP as handling is the key to AC.
Put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's on - 295 rear & 265 frt. Very good grip, much better than stock Pirellis that I wore out.

Jebadias

Established Member
Why is my Boss special to me? I don’t know where to start. I have been into performance since high school. Every car that I have owned has been a compromise of one thing or another. My 92 Camaro was saddled with a TBI motor and the weak T5 trans. This meant that tipping the nitrous in had to be done carefully. The rest of my 3rd Gen F bodies were autos, which were not ideal for playing around with. My Grand National was great, but it was old technology by 2003, and I spent as much time finding ways to keep unsupported systems like the power master brake system running or converting from Buick specific to Chevy MAFs as I did driving it. Besides, automatic trans. My Supercoupe was a great car too, but it had limited aftermarket support.

In terms of compromise my Boss has none. Suspension is great. Engine is incredible. Aftermarket support is amazing. I hear people whine about the amenities, but to me the car is loaded. My daily driver is a 1999 F350. I don’t care if my radio doesn’t receive signals from Beijing, or if the pedals don’t massage my feet while driving down the road. I’m not into the whole “rolling living room” thing, especially in a sports car or work truck. I think the creature comforts are just about right (it would be nice if hooking Sync up was easier, but I wouldn’t pay more for the convenience). I also hear people complain about the trans, but from May, 2012, until I installed the Paxton last spring I never had so much as a lockout with it. Even with the power the car makes now, trans lockout only happens occasionally (twice a month).

This is my first new car. I never really had an urge to pay the price of a new car. I had been looking at GT500s for some time when a co-worker introduced me to the Boss. I had dismissed the car as a “rim and sticker package”, but he suggested I look into it a bit closer. It didn’t take me long to realize the car’s potential, and the more I learned the more I liked it. After I decided I wanted the car the rollercoaster began. The purchase process included an episode of colorful language directed at a dealer, a cancelled order and some poor fellow’s failure to secure financing which I won’t bore you with, but the two month ordeal helped me bond with the car before I even took possession.

The car was a good performance value when new, and while I realized technology would overtake the car eventually, the reputation it had earned while new will keep the car relevant at the car shows and cruises that I find myself at as I get older. Besides, even after six years I still get a smile every time I look in the mirror and see a giant silver cross brace where a seat should be. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it.

onmywayout

I am new to the game have only had my 13-Boss for 60-days or so. I have been watching the Boss since its intro, played with a few cars since then including a 12-GT, and 392-SRT Challenger. Having had issues with my GTs MT82 I was a bit afraid of the Boss.

For the past 1.5 years I have been car-less I couldn't decide what I wanted. Thought hard about a 17 1LE but knew what kind of depreciation that would have given the 5th Gens history. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't take a big financial hit if I decided to sell. Taking all this into consideration the Boss became the best investment for the performance I wanted. I looked at and drove several Boss's for sale and they seemed to all have issues, not a solid feel or a sloppy transmission. I finally found my present Boss which felt brand new, no issues at all, and looked flawless. Purchased for a good price and have been enjoying it since. It's a fun car to drive similar to my 04 Cobra, raw with power.

RUgoinup?

We will NEVER forget!
Established Member
Owning a Boss 302 was always a dream (car) for me. I never thought I’d be able to own one without the financial regret. That changed back in Nov 2016. I stumbled upon a local, 800 mile 2013 for $33k. My family gave me the go ahead to purchase it as long as I promised not to buy another Mustang (15 previous).

This car is a legend. To be able to own a newer version of its older Brother is a blessing. The exclusivity, semi rarity is special to me. Less than 2 hours ago I drove by an 05-09 GT with Boss stickers on it.

The forged motor makes it special as well. Having owned several GT’s, I craved a higher horsepower, special edition mustang again (‘03 Cobra). I was going to purchase a GT500 but there are lots of them on the road. The power difference was made up with the addition of a Whipple. I feel I have the best of both worlds with this car/setup.

I love putting my personal touch on cars and keeping them out of the garage, and on the road. The Boss is no different. I have added/changed things, and will continue to do so. For the owners that do not mess with perfection, I respect that as well.

bunk22

Established Member
I don't have one but I saw a Boss 302 with dealer plates, on this site, run 12.3@117 and I thought, that is a fast car, looks great and probably handles just as good. Impressive IMO. I had the chance to buy one, misses out.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll have a Boss 302 some day to park along side my Shelby.

I had a 2014 GT and i enjoy the power delivery of the Coyote/Roadrunner platform motors. Add boost and they are ridiculously fast.

However, if/when i buy one, i'll likely leave it N/A to keep the soul of the car alive.

My 2014 gt felt 1000 lbs lighter than my GT500.... i can only imagine how nimble and light a Boss feels.

_Snake_

Established Member
I'll have a Boss 302 some day to park along side my Shelby.

I had a 2014 GT and i enjoy the power delivery of the Coyote/Roadrunner platform motors. Add boost and they are ridiculously fast.

However, if/when i buy one, i'll likely leave it N/A to keep the soul of the car alive.

My 2014 gt felt 1000 lbs lighter than my GT500.... i can only imagine how nimble and light a Boss feels.

I had a P1 Procharger on mine making 550/425. It was just right.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I've owned a little of everything, '13 Boss with TT's is what I am moving to next. (650-701 rwhp)

I was not OVERLY impressed with the 2012 Shelby I had. so I can relate to what some have mentioned in this thread

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Mine was a blast to drive but couldn't get over the high rpm lockout. Outside of that, it was one of my all time favorites right behind my Terminator. The sound was intoxicating with the GT500 Quads, Borla 3" OTA's, and open sides.

20141102_145639_zpsfafaf4f8-jpg.609863

20141102_150009_zps357eba52-jpg.609862

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Do you miss it or do you prefer the s550?

I miss the rawness of it but really like the lines of the S550. I bought the Boss after my 12' GT as I wanted to wait out the first year of the new body style and IRS. The interior of the Boss (other than the Recaro's) left a lot to be desired, but power and handling made you forget that quickly. I lowered mine on BMR's and drove on the stiffest shock setting daily. Looking back, I should have just spent the money and upgraded the clutch to a McLeod like AED recommended.

GT500 Quad conversion really finished off the back of the car nicely and a direct swap.

20141102_150244_zps41019366-jpg.609870

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@IamRacerX, I think your feelings about your Boss reflect the feeling of most Boss owners. With the key word being 'balanced'. We already know that it was good performance value on the dollar side. But the engine/suspension package was really well done by Ford. It just gets the job done in a way that makes the car fun to drive all the time. Yours, by the way, looks awesome just the way it is. Continue to enjoy it!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
LOL, now you have me looking back at all of my older pics....

20141102_150020_zpsc3970731-jpg.609866

20141102_150138_zps94e18f11-jpg.609868

Ive never been a fan of the GB color (little to loud for me). Your s550 is more my style as far as color goes.

But DAMN. Your Boss was stunning and I wouldn't think twice about owning it.

Once my Shelby sells, I might find my way back into a Coyote-platform car. Still undecided on a 13 Boss or a new, left over '17 s550.

Users who are viewing this thread