What makes it wider?

whip

Established Member
OK, I'm gaining interest in the Raptor bandwagon. I keep reading about how it is7 inches wider. Is that just in tires and flares, or did Ford actually make a wide body pick up??? I can only imagine the cost of widening a whole pickup truck! Someone fill me in!

dajohu

Established Member
The fenders & axles make the track of the Raptor about 7" wider. The body, interior, and bed are not wider. The purpose of making it wider is better stability during high speed off roading, not to give more room in the engine compartment, interior, or bed.

They widened the rear of the frame a bit in order to fit a spare tire under the bed, but that had no effect of the overall width of the truck.

whip

Established Member
Thanks! I actually saw one in person yesterday, and pretty much noticed it was just the fenders and stuff. I gotta tell ya, being a Lightning guy I was kind of disgusted when SVT took on 4x4, but the more I read, and after seeing that one in person, I kind of really really really want one!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks! I actually saw one in person yesterday, and pretty much noticed it was just the fenders and stuff. I gotta tell ya, being a Lightning guy I was kind of disgusted when SVT took on 4x4, but the more I read, and after seeing that one in person, I kind of really really really want one!

The axles are wider too. The fenders just cover them up.

whip

Established Member
got ya! And if I can ask without becoming a pain....what are they using for a rear axle? Ford, Dana, other?

Users who are viewing this thread