What kind of local drag racing events/series does your area have?

03Steve

Established Member
Curious to see what the SVTP'ers have in their area.

In St. Louis, we used to have something called the SCSS (Street Car Shootout Series) at the NHRA 1/4 mile track, Gateway International Raceway. It was a Tuesday night race that would draw literally hundreds of cars each week. The only rule was that the car had to be on a DOT tire. No slicks allowed. That class went away when the track was sold and out of operation for a year.

The track reopened with a new name (Gateway Motorsports Park) and new management who have been pretty friendly to the local crowd.

Last year the track allowed a group of us to put together a class. We decided to run a "Factory EFI" class. It is heads up, and the main idea is that the car's engine has to run on the factory PCM. The track liked the idea, and we had a fairly good turnout across several races. It brought out the high-powered late model street stuff that many of us have in our garages from different makes (GM, Ford, Dodge).

In 2015 the track management decided to make the Factory EFI class a part of their regular racing series and include it on the official drag racing schedule. We have our first one in 2015 on Saturday April 18th, and seven races total this year. Some details:

http://forums.stlmustangs.com/index...015-factory-efi-heads-up-class-gateway-race-1

Anyway, I am curious to see what other type of local racing classes/series go down across the web. What is in your area?

oldmodman

Established Member
We no longer have any 1/4 mile dragstrips.

When I was growing up in the 50's & 60s we had 17 tracks that could be considered "local"

Now there are zero. The tracks were originally in unincorporated areas, industrial areas, and farmland.

But as the decades went by housing moved closer and closer. The people in those houses would complain about the noise and traffic and eventually get the tracks shut down.

Or the value of the land the tracks were sitting on would go so high that the owner would shut down the track and build a few thousand houses at 500K or more each.

And people wonder why there are so many street racers.

odom4V

Established Member
Mexican street racing. But seriously the closest track is 1.5 hours and it's only 1/8 mile. Does bring some fast cars though.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
In Houston, we have the Improbable 24,000. Three times around the Earth's equator, anti-spinward. Only Terminator Cobras have ever completed the race. It's especially fun because it temporarily reverses the coriolis force in Australia and causes all their toilets to back up.

wickedsvt2002

Established Member
In Joliet we have NMRA, Nostalgia drags, NHRA, grudge matches, Test and Tune.
Also go to Byron for Wheel Stand Comp and other events. I do miss going to St. Louis (Gateway) for World Ford Challenge when they had it.
I'm fortunate to have 5 drag strips within 15 minutes to 5 hours of me.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
We had one in the city for years "Race City Speedway" but the city reclaimed the land and it was shut down.
The only 1/4 mile action now is illegal street racing in the industrial area.

Thehubster

Established Member
I am also in arkansas and there is one track in the whole freaking state and it is only an 1/8th mile. I wish so much that there was a 1/4 mile in Little Rock. the only other racing is SCCA Solo in little rock at war memorial stadium. it is small but still pretty fun.

03Steve

Established Member
The St. Louis area had an additional track open last year. It is an 1/8 mile in Bonne Terre, MO. They have test and tune on Friday nights and index racing on Sundays. On Wednesdays there is test and tune at the 1/4 track, with bracket racing and the heads up Factory EFI class on Saturdays. About two hours south of STL there is another 1/8 track that does X275, mean street, etc.

Sladester2

Established Member
Same area as you lol, from Desloge, which is 5 miles south of Bonne Terre I ran there every weekend last Summer. I'm ready for it to open back up. I am actually going to Sikeston today for the Heartland Auto Cruise and street car shootout, if you arent on the page man you should join it.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I'm lucky, a hot rod tour stop is literally about 1/4 up the road from my house. They have all sorts of events.

odom4V

Established Member
I am also in arkansas and there is one track in the whole freaking state and it is only an 1/8th mile. I wish so much that there was a 1/4 mile in Little Rock. the only other racing is SCCA Solo in little rock at war memorial stadium. it is small but still pretty fun.
Two 1/8 mile tracks. Prescott and Centerville. Unless one of those is gone now too...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
We no longer have any 1/4 mile dragstrips.

When I was growing up in the 50's & 60s we had 17 tracks that could be considered "local"

Now there are zero. The tracks were originally in unincorporated areas, industrial areas, and farmland.

But as the decades went by housing moved closer and closer. The people in those houses would complain about the noise and traffic and eventually get the tracks shut down.

Or the value of the land the tracks were sitting on would go so high that the owner would shut down the track and build a few thousand houses at 500K or more each.

And people wonder why there are so many street racers.

+1

Years ago one of the local tracks got torn down here because they leased the land from a mining company. Eventually the mining company wanted the land back to mine it. Lots of people petitioned it, but there was no way to override their contract.

There are 1000' drag nights at willow springs raceway now. They just race down the front stretch of the track. No burn outs are allowed on the track though. You have to do the burn outs in the pits and then drive out and get in line to stage so your tires cool off a lot by the time it's your turn.

Felix C

Established Member
I am in Miami and closest 1/4mile track is 98miles one way. PBIR. They do have Test and Tune on Wed and Friday and occasionally there is a Saturday event. Sometimes a track rental for modern muscle or high end cars. (There may be also for Asian imports and specific marquee clubs)

There has not been a 1/4 mile tracking within reasonable distance for decades.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread