What is the WIDEST tire i can fit on my 5.0?

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
A search would be your best bet..... This has been discussed about a million times on the net.

90mustang306

Dead Crawlin
Established Member
275...with lowering springs the fender lips will need to be cut back or removed.....I'm sure other people will chim in with some more help...good luck

venomous99

Established Member
id say 275 assuming u go with the correct wheel offset. ive seen 315s but that woudl take some massaging of the inside well and rolling lips.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
venomous99 said:
id say 275 assuming u go with the correct wheel offset. ive seen 315s but that woudl take some massaging of the inside well and rolling lips.

Dude, that foxbody of yours is gorgeous! Why the hell didn't Ford make a white 93' cobra? Seriously, f#cking gorgeous!:beer:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
venomous99 said:

Yes that fox looks amazing!!!

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
91 FOX 5.0 said:
my car is lowered 2 inches, does this mean a 275 will not fit?

Like I said, the wheel wells in 90+'s are larger. If worst comes to worst, you'll need to remove the quad shocks, unless you have aftermarket lower control arms. The main thing that YOU'RE probably going to have to worry about is your tailpipes. Make sure that they don't rub, and you should hopefully be fine.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
poopnut2 said:
Like I said, the wheel wells in 90+'s are larger. If worst comes to worst, you'll need to remove the quad shocks, unless you have aftermarket lower control arms. The main thing that YOU'RE probably going to have to worry about is your tailpipes. Make sure that they don't rub, and you should hopefully be fine.

The wheel openings are only larger on the front I believe (91-93 years)

FWIW. I run 275's on my factory wheels and FRPP 'B' springs with no rubbing issues

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
275-40-17 FTW. If you have a 9 inch rim you can flip the quad shocks around and gain about 1/4 inch of clearance.

venomous99

Established Member
there are too many variables to simply ask what is the largest tire u can fit. depends on the offset of the wheel, rear brake setup, tire brand, suspension, etc. looking at my car, i think id be able to get away with a 285 wide rim. however, that is not to say you can fit a 295. it just depends how much effort you're willing to put forth to make it happen.
anyhow, here are more pics. car needs more of a drop..i know.
dscn05446pb.jpg

dscn05469pj.jpg

you're right..too bad ford didnt come out with a white 93 cobra.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Car looks great. It is true that anything can be done with enough time and measuring. I have seen 315 nittos on a fox and they fit good.

SnakeGrunt97

Established Member
not trying to steal your thread but what about a 90 5.0 with 18 inch cobra R's not sure on the width just picked her up a few days ago.

Users who are viewing this thread