What is the shift light I keep hearing about?

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Its an arrow that points up when the car thinks its time to shift. If you go with the light you are in 6th at about 40 mph. I am currently looking for a attractive sticker to go over it. The duct tape I currently have over it is beginning to grow on me however.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
If this were the bottom of the insturment panel it would be where the line is:

__________________|_________

I suppose that wire cutters would work if you wanted to take the dash apart.

Wanna_Stang

Established Member
you can put a multiplier (to raise) or a resister (to lower) the RPM that this light comes on... thus you have a built in shift light

at least thats what i would do with it.

:)

Evilcartman

Established Member
I'm interested in doing this for when my wife drivers the car. Anyone know how or who does? I would think that the light is controlled by a sealed module.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Wanna Stang, good Idea. How do you wire it?? and are you good with electronics ( just wondering if my car will work after mod) LOL>

KingKobra

Established Member
I had the same light on a Saab... It tells you when to shift, based on the speed and how much gas you are giving, etc, so it should vary depending on the speed/rpm and fuel input... wanna test it....

start in first and just slowly increase your speed until the light comes on, and mentally note the speed.

Then, do it again, this time being more aggressive with the gas, adding more and more gas. It should tell you to shift later, once the rpm's top off and the fuel level no longer increases.

So, if you are light on it, it will tell you to shift earlier, but if you jump on it, you should get later shift warnings. All in all, it's for newbies or if you want to stay fuel efficient.

This is all 'self-discovery' by testing, btw.

Wanna_Stang

Established Member
Originally posted by OH3Cobra
Wanna Stang, good Idea. How do you wire it?? and are you good with electronics ( just wondering if my car will work after mod) LOL>

I know some of the basic stuff.

Just go to radio shack and buy a set of various inline multipliers/resistors (they look like this... this is a 2.2 ohm resistor
IM000631.jpg
)

their should be 2 wires going to the light, splice this in to the positive wire. The time it comes on is simply trial and error...

This is based on a similar mod i did on my LS1... installed a multiplier in one of the sensors on the air box, and it advances the timing automatcly.... i forget the details of this one but its on LS1.com

Users who are viewing this thread