What is a 200 cobra R crate motor worth

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Grown ups, who wants to pay $17k for a 5.4 N/A with a forged crank and rods. Totally understand if your restoring a cobra R. There is always a grown who has more money then brains. THe car show guy is going to buy a real cobra R motor for what to drive in and out of the enclosed trailer and write it on the car show window. He could put a navi motor and nobody would be the wiser. If it is some hotrodder, why would he want some 350hp motor for $15k when he could spend half that for $7500.

Again you got to find someone who sees the value. It could be $7k Cobra R motor or a $20k cobra R motor. I can sell a Cobra R oil cooler at a swap for $40 and sometimes on ebay for $100.

I will let you grown ups get back to your disscussion, PS your a tool.

I agree with the above posters knowledgeable analysis of a "350hp" 5.4 N/A. Who would want to pay $15K for something like that?!?!?!?!?

Now let's analyze the 2000 Cobra R 5.4 N/A from knowledgeable SVT (grown ups) information specific to a 2000 Cobra R, not from a 1993 or 1995 Cobra R information point, but 2000 Cobra R, the specific car/engine in the OP. This is assuming the SVT and SVE geru's were grown ups?

First point of interest to me is 385h.p./385tq. in both documents, and then we have the Navigator and 2000 Cobra R comparision below, as offered by SVT. It appears that there is a little more than a billet rod difference, and as shown below, both have the good crankshaft, but read further, there's more.............

Picture1925.jpg

Picture1926.jpg

Picture1927.jpg

Picture1928.jpg

^^^Last page above^^^ The first portion of the last paragraph says a lot as it specifically relates to this post. I don't even think it would apply if it were just a crank and some rods.

Since we have a $7K-$7.5K starting point from the above poster for what was thought to be only a Navigator motor with a forged reciprocating mass, now let's add the items that SVT lists as specific to the 2000 Cobra R 5.4 DOHC, and see where the $$$ go, and then the availablity of a complete 2000 Cobra R engine assy., New. That has value too!

Maybe I should not be jumping into the Cobra R forum like this since I don't own a Cobra R, but at least I can say that "I did" (actually one of each), and I give knowledge from a factual standpoint, not from something I thought I may have read on the internet in a modular forum somewhere............We can discuss the 1993 and 1995 Cobra R's in this way also, if needed. :read:

It pays to have a Larger tool........:thumbsup:

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Bigger tool!!!!! Hee hee!!!!!

Oh??? Did I say Bigger tool??? :shrug:

Must have been a type-o. ;-)

I'm sorry, I meant Bigger/Larger Pool, you know, larger pool of information. The information/knowledge that comes with age and experience...........:pepper:

^^^^^I guess that this could also apply to Tools.^^^^^

R

Last edited:

Bill Anderson

Established Member
hah.....hey Beavis ...he said tool....ha ha .....

But anyway....Ask anyone who has built an all out 5.4 with good parts, machine work, etc about the cost from scratch...you are looking at easily $20k plus, I am talking about an N/A engine that makes in excess of 500hp, which btw, these are in that ball park, the Ford numbers are grossly under-rated as you can see by some of the dyno numbers of the members cars here.

lets break down some part costs alone:

1 set carillo rods $3500 (carillo)

1 set forged pistons $750-800 (sullivan perf)

1 navi block $550 (summit rac)

1 canton oil pan and pu $550 (canton)

1 set cobra r or ford gt heads $2500-3000 (ebay/ford racing)

1 cobra r intake $5000+ (if you can find one) (ebay)

lets add up what we have so far....

$13,400

Those are just base parts,add another 1k for bearings, gaskets, oil pump, etc.. tack on say another 5k or more for block machine work, assy and dyno time, yes I said dyno time as each of the cobra r engines were dyno tested b4 being installed

Keep in mind that each of these engines were hand built, all bearing clearances checked, piston clearances checked, etc etc..in short a blueprinted engine that probably took 1 man at least 3-5 days to build from start to finish including dyno pulls and any problems that came up...I'm sure a few of these "scattered" on the dyno, or had other problems....and that is conservative. These were not production line engines.

so In my opinion, to be able to pick up an engine making around 500 fw hp, be able to run the crap out of it spinning it to 7k plus rpm and if you want slap 20lbs of boost to it without opening it up to change anything for 13-15k..and it stays together (how many guys here have blown up a stock cobra r motor?) .I think that is a bargain, hell if someone made intakes for the thing, that would drop the price too...but no one does...yet....

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
hah.....hey Beavis ...he said tool....ha ha .....

But anyway....Ask anyone who has built an all out 5.4 with good parts, machine work, etc about the cost from scratch...you are looking at easily $20k plus, I am talking about an N/A engine that makes in excess of 500hp, which btw, these are in that ball park, the Ford numbers are grossly under-rated as you can see by some of the dyno numbers of the members cars here.

lets break down some part costs alone:

1 set carillo rods $3500 (carillo)

1 set forged pistons $750-800 (sullivan perf)

1 navi block $550 (summit rac)

1 canton oil pan and pu $550 (canton)

1 set cobra r or ford gt heads $2500-3000 (ebay/ford racing)

1 cobra r intake $5000+ (if you can find one) (ebay)

lets add up what we have so far....

$13,400

Those are just base parts,add another 1k for bearings, gaskets, oil pump, etc.. tack on say another 5k or more for block machine work, assy and dyno time, yes I said dyno time as each of the cobra r engines were dyno tested b4 being installed

Keep in mind that each of these engines were hand built, all bearing clearances checked, piston clearances checked, etc etc..in short a blueprinted engine that probably took 1 man at least 3-5 days to build from start to finish including dyno pulls and any problems that came up...I'm sure a few of these "scattered" on the dyno, or had other problems....and that is conservative. These were not production line engines.

so In my opinion, to be able to pick up an engine making around 500 fw hp, be able to run the crap out of it spinning it to 7k plus rpm and if you want slap 20lbs of boost to it without opening it up to change anything for 13-15k..and it stays together (how many guys here have blown up a stock cobra r motor?) .I think that is a bargain, hell if someone made intakes for the thing, that would drop the price too...but no one does...yet....

Bill:

That's all good info but if I was building one of these motors it sure wouldn't be with an iron block! ;-)

Bill Anderson

Established Member
Bill:

That's all good info but if I was building one of these motors it sure wouldn't be with an iron block! ;-)

Me as well...but was trying to get real numbers...for me I would prefer the gt block...so lets tack on an additional $2k for a wet sump gt block. or if you like dry sump (which I prefer) add anther 2-3k for the pan, pump, tank, lines, etc....

Oh btw, I did not even add in the price for a crank and cams...:banana:

Last edited:

Saleenrose

Established Member
I could give my 2 pennies worth, I would love to have it to tear it down, port the heads, and intake and get ride of that crappy dyno curve, and yes I think ford was alittle under rating on these engines, I'm at 404RWHP and 403RWTQ. Great to see that info on the cams, would this not make it have bigger cams than a Ford GT??

Bill Anderson

Established Member
That is correct...can't wait to see what that vortech V7 does to my torque and hp curve, will probably look like a very steep hill to about 7000 or so...:)

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
That is correct...can't wait to see what that vortech V7 does to my torque and hp curve, will probably look like a very steep hill to about 7000 or so...:)

From our experience the design of the 2000 intake was for a nice wide torque band which it delivers marvelously. We found that HP levels dropped of dramatically over 6k and felt the major problem was the intake. :shrug:

racer91m

Established Member
Ok, so as a couple of you know, I just bought a car with an all-aluminum 5.4L engine. I'd like to call it a Cobra R engine, but it's more like an ultra-R engine. It has a REAL, production Cobra R intake manifold, but that's about where it ends. It's a modified (wet sump) Ford GT block and heads. The internal block surfaces have been polished, heads have been professionally polished and prepped. Aluminum Oil Pan. Custom made headers. It's a 12:1 engine. I will send full details to anyone interested in buying it.

It will come with all major wiring harnesses in the car (brand new), ECU, Headers, X-Pipe, coolant hoses (OEM Cobra R), more... Everything to make it run after a solid weekend's worth of work.

I also have these 2000 Cobra R parts BRAND NEW:

IRS Assembly
T56 Transmission (in box)
Trans Mount
Driveshaft
MAF
Flywheel

PM me if interested in anything. I've got picts on my other computer...

-Dean

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
Look really good in a street rod or an original car but lets face it the thing is 11 years behind what's out there now. The way this stuff is moving every year that's 100 performance years. Also if you bought the motor to put in a street rod is the engine managment out there to run it. Just my two cents worth but it would look really bad a** sticking out from under the hood of a street rod......GJ

cobrakidz

High mileage R
Established Member
The last paragraph says just 300 units will be made--so are they talking engines too? So does that mean no crate motors would be available from Ford?

Users who are viewing this thread