What intake diameter for 900+ hp?

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I am starting to trace out my intercooler piping and intake design for my 5.3/F-1A-94 build and am not sure if I am fine with 3" or need to step up to 3.5". The blower discharge and intercooler inlet/outlet are all 3".

I am using a PMAS HPX MAF and should be making around 25 lbs of boost and 900+ hp on e85 (hopefully). Am I fine with a 3" diameter intake pipe from intercooler to throttle body or do I need to add a step-up to 3.5" out of the intercooler?

It will be very short routing: exit out of top of intercooler and go straight over the top of the radiator support (hood latch is deleted) to the throttle body, maybe 3' total.

Thanks guys!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm running 3.5" piping from my JT trim to intake. It was recommended I do from AED who built the car. This is also in preparation for a turbo down the road or a bigger blower..
I made 910rwhp on 16psi and 19* of timing on E85 with my combo fwiw.

For a inlet to the blower I have a custom 4" pipe with a extremely high flow filter used on most diesel truck intakes lol

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm running 3.5" piping from my JT trim to intake. It was recommended I do from AED who built the car. This is also in preparation for a turbo down the road or a bigger blower..
I made 910rwhp on 16psi and 19* of timing on E85 with my combo fwiw.

For a inlet to the blower I have a custom 4" pipe with a extremely high flow filter used on most diesel truck intakes lol

My blower inlet has a kitchen strainer from Kroger on it haha, since I'm running a HOB dedicated drive setup nothing else is fitting on there. I'm sure my boost numbers will be high with stock cams and stock manifolds @ 7k, hoping to go to a JBA midlength full 3" system later.

I'm going to mount the Big Red Race valve inside the fender to avoid kicking up dirt and debris into the blower.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea your boost is going to be high with the stock intake I assume 01 Cobra, and the exhaust setup.. I would skip the JBA's and go right to Kooks or ARH in a 1-7/8". I'm only running a 1-3/4" Kooks but a full 3" off road setup into magnaflow dumps.

Again I would do a 3.5" all the way from the blower to intake. It'll set you up later on down the road if you throw a Sullivan on it etc.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
My intake pipe from intercooler to throttle body is also 3.5”. it might depend on which maf you plane on using.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Oh that's right ya'll are running a MAF.. That is a good point that I forgot about.. I don't run a MAF due to a stand alone ECU. I'd still try to run 3.5" piping

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
FWIW I ran a 4" inlet pipe to the blower and basically 3.5" from the intercooler to the throttle body. I want to say I had an adapter that went from 3"-3.5" right off the intercooler and from there to the TB was 3.5". I had a BA5000 MAF mounted to the pipe right by the fenderwell. Basically it was in the stock MAF location. I was only at 19psi with my F1A on the big bore but the MAF counts were in the mid 700's. So I knew I had room to grow.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Yea your boost is going to be high with the stock intake I assume 01 Cobra, and the exhaust setup.. I would skip the JBA's and go right to Kooks or ARH in a 1-7/8". I'm only running a 1-3/4" Kooks but a full 3" off road setup into magnaflow dumps.

Again I would do a 3.5" all the way from the blower to intake. It'll set you up later on down the road if you throw a Sullivan on it etc.

I have a Sullivan lower and HPP upper with custom LFP big-mouth throttle body.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
FWIW I ran a 4" inlet pipe to the blower and basically 3.5" from the intercooler to the throttle body. I want to say I had an adapter that went from 3"-3.5" right off the intercooler and from there to the TB was 3.5". I had a BA5000 MAF mounted to the pipe right by the fenderwell. Basically it was in the stock MAF location. I was only at 19psi with my F1A on the big bore but the MAF counts were in the mid 700's. So I knew I had room to grow.

Awesome, the adapter is a good idea, I think that's what I'll do. I won't have a blower inlet pipe at all, just a kitchen strainer haha. As for the MAF, it will be mounted at least 12" after the bend over the radiator support.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Here's a pic so everyone has an idea of what I'm working with:

file-4.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I always wanted to try the Sully intake. Plus I think it's an awesome looking intake.

I should probably stay out of your threads. They make me want to swap to a centri.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread