What happened to the Kenne Belle Supercharger Kit for 99-01 COBRAs?

ATCzMustang

Established Member
Anyone know what happened or why Kenne Belle discontinued their supercharger kit for the 99-01 COBRA? As I understand it was just an 03 Kit SC, with about 1k in extra parts to make it compatible. I really like the look of this style of supercharger setup. I know one can do a 03-04 Eaton swap, or do a Vortech, etc. but I like what I like :) Any knowledge on this?

Here's an old article about it:

ATCzMustang

Established Member
Well I decided to call Kenne Bell and got the inside scoop from their technical support. They did discontinue the 01' SC kit. The reason was that they bought a lot of the parts directly from Ford for the 03-04 COBRA to assemble the 99-01' kit, and when Ford discontinued the Terminator and those parts, the owner at Kenne Bell decided it wasn't cost effective to make the parts on their own. So yuck.

I might do a Eaton swap, but the thing I never liked about that route was buying a used up and potentially beat up supercharger pulled off a 03-04 with a bunch of miles. Wonder if there is an Eaton swap route that involves new parts?

52merc

Established Member
Back in the day I was really interested in a KB for my car. If I remember correctly, to get one, you needed to give them a down payment of several grand with no guaranty that a kit would actually be released. They made an initial run of kits and after that, nothing. Lots of talk - no action. Again, if I remember correctly, they were very proud of their kits, and their prices reflected that.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
It was because ford stopped producing the intake manifolds and kb couldn't buy them up anymore. That was the story I got 10yrs ago when I called them about it..

I wasn't too upset afterwards once I found out it was a $7500 setup that put you in a box that you couldn't get out of. No other blower works with that system except the kb 2.1. With the eaton swap the options are wide open and the cost is less than half.

railroad

Established Member
Back in the day I was really interested in a KB for my car. If I remember correctly, to get one, you needed to give them a down payment of several grand with no guaranty that a kit would actually be released. They made an initial run of kits and after that, nothing. Lots of talk - no action. Again, if I remember correctly, they were very proud of their kits, and their prices reflected that.
Not exactly true. KB did request a down payment to gauge interest and solidify orders. It was $500. Before the kit went on sale, KB told potential buyers, they could have their deposit back, if they had changed their minds.
The kit was offered with and without intercooler.
Advertised whp 465. Most kits dyno ed about 445.
Jim attributed this to poor cam timing accuracy, across the board.
The kit was very complete, with instructions for installation. I think we all learned a lot during installation and Jim Christain (sp) was chief engineer on the kit. He was very available for owner and what he told you was right.
I think we got the word, no kits available after our production run.
20131012_113434.jpg
20131012_113426.jpg
20131012_113416.jpg

52merc

Established Member
I wasn't bad mouthing KB or the kit. If I had the dollar value wrong it was my poor memory. After all, it was a while ago.

I still like the KB kit for its clean look and what appears to be well engineered parts. Just didn't have the money back in those days. Importing to Canada added considerably to the cost at that time.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I looked into the KB kit when I had my 01. Anyone I came across running it said they liked it, but there was the issue of only being able to run the one blower. But on the flip side let's be honest, how many people actually swap blowers every couple of years?

Anyway, I ended up running a D1 and was very happy with it. Everytime I hear a centri now it tugs at the heart strings a little.

railroad

Established Member
The kit was designed around running the stock bottom end, ie powdered connecting rods, etc.
I was thinking my kit has a 1.9 L blower. Jim was generous in helping us with upper pulley swaps to attain max safe power.
I added shorty headers, still running cats, Magnaflow catback, 3.73 gears, alum flywheel and driveshaft, tri-ax shifter, IRS bushings, shift light, boost and oil pressure gauges, Corbeau seats and after market wheels.
Just took it out last week. A couple of the power window switches have quit working, but still one of the most fun rides I have.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The kit was designed around running the stock bottom end, ie powdered connecting rods, etc.
I was thinking my kit has a 1.9 L blower. Jim was generous in helping us with upper pulley swaps to attain max safe power.
I added shorty headers, still running cats, Magnaflow catback, 3.73 gears, alum flywheel and driveshaft, tri-ax shifter, IRS bushings, shift light, boost and oil pressure gauges, Corbeau seats and after market wheels.
Just took it out last week. A couple of the power window switches have quit working, but still one of the most fun rides I have.
The 1.9L was the earlier kit. Later on they got the 2.1L. At least that's what I was told when I was looking.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member

It was 500 bucks
The full intercooled kit was 6758 shipped to my door

I had the first intercooled kit here and i still have it

I do however need 2 idler pullies ad mine have rusted aweful over the last 16ish years

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
1.7 was the original kit

My car made 470/414 with the 11lb pulley .. that is still there
I knew someone around here had one. I think it was your car that got me looking at them originally. Didn't your first blower seize up?

railroad

Established Member
I remember 2 owners that also bought the original kits. Cadman had a green one. I ran into him and asked if he still had his car. Unfortunately he got T-boned and totaled the car. I think he daily drove it.
Mike Cipollo from Philly, I think bought a non intercooled one, added the intercooler later, I think.
He had some tuning issues and in the end used Jon Lund. Jon was just becoming recognized as a tuner.
Not heard from Mike, super guy, since.
I remember Double "O", now that he has posted.
It was a lot of fun, bringing the Cobra up to a level it deserved.
I was not aware of the 1.7 L blower, am now unsure which I might have. Not as issue as it is good as it sits.
Anyone remember the other KB kit owners?

robvas

Established Member
Being an LS owner at the time...what forced induction option was "the best" or did at least most guys go with for the 99/01 cars, seeing that the KB kit wasn't very popular?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Being an LS owner at the time...what forced induction option was "the best" or did at least most guys go with for the 99/01 cars, seeing that the KB kit wasn't very popular?
Most of us went the centrifugal route. I'm a Procharger guy myself.

Users who are viewing this thread