What gear for VIR and Summit Point?

chrish900

TT Crazy
Established Member
What gears do Cobra drivers use for VIR and Summit Point? I have stock 3.55s in my 04 Cobra and I am red lining in 4th on both tracks. 5th gear is a little too much and I don't gain much by shifting it into 5th for 3 seconds. Anyone using 3.73s?

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Are you looking to use 5th gear, or not to use 5th? 3.73's will have you shifting to 5th earlier, and will also have you using the throttle much more carefully when using 3rd to exit turns.

There is no reason I can think of to be anywhere near redline in a blower Cobra. High gear high load situations are bad for these cars.

...recommend you keep the 3.55's and short shift to 5th instead of winding 4th.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
What speeds are you hitting at the braking zones of T14 and T1 at VIR?

I have 3.55s in my 99 and will hit 140-141 on the back stretch of VIR before braking for T14. When I had 4.10s, I'd hit 124 pretty quick before the top of the hill and have to go into 5th for the rest of the straight.

Maynor

Established Member
I had 3.73s and switched back to 4.10s. If you're looking to max out mph in 4th at VIR, you need 3.55's or lower. The back straight is loooonng as is the front so high speed is easy. Summit, not so much but same recommendation.

Personally, while its fun to fly in the straights, the corner exit speed is what I work on and I prefer more torque hence more gear.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
For VIR: Have you thought about what you can do through T11 and Oak Tree in order to increase your speed? This will translate to winding out 4th quicker and spending longer in 5th before T14.

Users who are viewing this thread