what forged internal short/long block is a good swap into Marauder?

chief455

Established Member
want to do boost once!

is a Cobra 4.6 or any other a fairly easy swap as an engine?
"In 1999, Ford introduced the DOHC 4-valve 5.4 L in the Lincoln Navigator under the InTech moniker, making it the second engine to use this name. Ford later used versions of the DOHC 4-valve 5.4 L in the 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R, the Ford GT supercar, and the Ford Shelby GT500."

I have the Eaton, mid, lower and intercooler - would rather have room for more boost with a stronger bottom end

details on internal parts, power levels safe from factory?

issues with swapping somethig in?

thanks

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The rule of thumb is 450rwhp through an auto with a non forged internal 4v. I'm at 436rwhp and knocking on 11 sec 1/4 mile times.

Keep in mind, if you really crank up the boost, you have to build up the rear end and trans as well. The terminator is the only one that has fully forged internals stock, and the long block will fit in. I'd use the eaton swap brackets instead of the stock pulley bridge setup.

chief455

Established Member
The rule of thumb is 450rwhp through an auto with a non forged internal 4v. I'm at 436rwhp and knocking on 11 sec 1/4 mile times.

Keep in mind, if you really crank up the boost, you have to build up the rear end and trans as well. The terminator is the only one that has fully forged internals stock, and the long block will fit in. I'd use the eaton swap brackets instead of the stock pulley bridge setup.
hmmm....that's a good time for stock interals
what boost level, rpm are you at, and on 92-93 octane?
I found a low mile 03 Cobra shortblock for $1900 I could put my top end and Eaton on - how much boost/power can that take - safely?
I went with swap brackets, yes!
thanks

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I run 93 octane with 10lbs boost and 13 degrees timing.

A 03 cobra shortblock can easily go into the 600's, some people are even into the 800's. Keep in mind, you can blow a motor up making 370rwhp. Forged internals will not save you from a bad tune.

Also, boost = / = power. Boost is a measure of restriction. A stock terminator (I believe) makes 10psi boost and only puts down like 360rwhp, meanwhile I'm making 430rwhp through an automatic. Two engines can have the same blower with the same boost level and make different power, it all comes down to a million things from compression to what exhaust you're running, and how good the tune is.

chief455

Established Member
I run 93 octane with 10lbs boost and 13 degrees timing.

A 03 cobra shortblock can easily go into the 600's, some people are even into the 800's. Keep in mind, you can blow a motor up making 370rwhp. Forged internals will not save you from a bad tune.

Also, boost = / = power. Boost is a measure of restriction. A stock terminator (I believe) makes 10psi boost and only puts down like 360rwhp, meanwhile I'm making 430rwhp through an automatic. Two engines can have the same blower with the same boost level and make different power, it all comes down to a million things from compression to what exhaust you're running, and how good the tune is.
good info, thanks.
yup - I'm making more power with less boost in my Procharged car since I put on better flowing heads and headers.
The safety margin, all things equal, to have a cobra shortblock, seems worth the investment.

Steve@Tasca

Ford Racing has a nice aluminum 5.0 stroker short block with all forged internals that will accept 2v,3v and 4v heads. Not cheap but it'll take pretty much anything you can throw at it and it bolts right in unlike a 5.4 with the higher deck height.

Beefing up the rear axle isn't too tough, the trans would be the expensive part of the drivelane (besides the short block that is).

Be careful with used Terminator parts, they could be just fine or they could be on their last legs, I have no idea who's short block you found but they had to have taken it out for a reason.

-Steve

Last edited:

chief455

Established Member
Ford Racing has a nice aluminum 5.0 stroker short block with all forged internals that will accept 2v,3v and 4v heads. Not cheap but it'll take pretty much anything you can throw at it and it bolts right in unlike a 5.4 with the higher deck height.

Beefing up the rear axle isn't too tough, the trans would be the expensive part of the drivelane (besides the short block that is).

Be careful with used Terminator parts, they could be just fine or they could be on their last legs, I have no idea who's short block you found but they had to have taken it out for a reason.

-Steve
good point on used performance parts, Steve.
I'll be saving for a fresh built short or long block :rockon:

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member

-Steve

Part # and your price on this delivered to 30144, please Steve

Feel free to PM if you prefer...

jbnowlin23

[email protected]
Established Member
Chief, it takes money to play in 4 cam land. I had lidio build me a forrged stroker with S/C cams. Aluminum factory block takes you a long way in the HP spectrum without the added weight of the iron block. With the Marauder, you might want to stay with the high compression to maintain the good feel of daily driving. As noted in other posts here, tune is everything.

Listen to everyone but buy what you want. Life is short.
jb

chief455

Established Member
Chief, it takes money to play in 4 cam land. I had lidio build me a forrged stroker with S/C cams. Aluminum factory block takes you a long way in the HP spectrum without the added weight of the iron block. With the Marauder, you might want to stay with the high compression to maintain the good feel of daily driving. As noted in other posts here, tune is everything.

Listen to everyone but buy what you want. Life is short.
jb
thanks!
I already put blower on stock motor. I'll build a forged long block for swapping later, than raise the bar

JeronimoJC

Established Member
The Aluminator 46x caught my attention a few months back. I am strongly considering it with a s/c.
Does anyone know of someone who went this direction?

chief455

Established Member
thread revival. I've been running my Marauder 6000 miles and loving it. miles are getting higher, want a motor ready. I understand the tune is most important, I have lost a fully forged studded low compression motor to detonation. It was to lean.
For this build I still want forged internal with a stock fitting aluminum block.
na svt - you answered me on the MM forum = Cobra crank/rods/pistons will swap in.

can anyone point me to an automatic flexplate to fit an 8 bolt crank / 4R70 bellhousing + starter / Marauder torque convertor?
Confirm Marauder front crank damper with hub adaptor / Cobra pulley and Eaton swap parts will still align?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread