What Ford Engine for 1000+hp?

synca

Hi guys, I am from Russia.

I've got some issue with choosing an engine for corvette. My requirements for an engine:
V8, 4.5+L,cast iron block, low compression ratio, DOHC, 4-valves.

stock corvette engine is not suitable, because it has aluminum block, big compression ratio, single camshaft. I am going to install 2 turbochargers and spool it up to 1.5-2 bars.

I searched inet, and found some interesting engines that were installed in Ford's cars, only 2 of them has cast iron block, they are:

1. V8 4.6L DOHC(4 camshafts) 32-valves, cast iron block, 9.6 -compression ration +supercharger
this engine was installed only in:
2003–2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

2. V8 5.4L DOHC(4 camshafts) 32-valves, cast iron block, 9.6 -compression ration +supercharger
2007-2010 Ford Shelby GT500

So I am going to replace supercharger with aluminum intake manifold and mount/install 2 turbochargers ~ garrett gt30r.

My questions:

1. what is the difference between this 2 engines except displacement? and which one is better for forcing up to 1000+hp?
2. are there other engines with my requirements installed in ford cars?
3. How much power stock pistons,rods,crankshaft handle on that engines?
4. are there aftermarket companies that produce tuning parts for that engines(pistons,rods,crankshaft,camshafts,valves,r etainers,springs)?
5. do you have experience with installing turbochargers on that engines, if so, please share that(links,pics)
6. what is the name of that engines?

your feedback is much appreciated!

ps. sorry for my english (

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member

I've got some issue with choosing an engine for corvette. My requirements for an engine:

stock corvette engine is not suitable, because it has aluminum block, big compression ratio, single camshaft. I am going to install 2 turbochargers and spool it up to 1.5-2 bars.

I searched inet, and found some interesting engines that were installed in Ford's cars, only 2 of them has cast iron block, they are:

1. V8 4.6L DOHC(4 camshafts) 32-valves, cast iron block, 9.6 -compression ration +supercharger

2. V8 5.4L DOHC(4 camshafts) 32-valves, cast iron block, 9.6 -compression ration +supercharger

So I am going to replace supercharger with aluminum intake manifold and mount/install 2 turbochargers ~ garrett gt30r.

My questions:

1. what is the difference between this 2 engines except displacement? and which one is better for forcing up to 1000+hp?
4. are there aftermarket companies that produce tuning parts for that engines(pistons,rods,crankshaft,camshafts,valves,r etainers,springs)?
5. do you have experience with installing turbochargers on that engines, if so, please share that(links,pics)

Hello,
I believe the 5.4 is a bit superior to the 4.6. I also believe you will not achieve your goal of 1000 WHP with the GT30R. I could be wrong, but I think the turbos will be out of their efficiency range before seeing that kind of power. You'll probably have to go slightly bigger.

synca

thanks, for feedback.
the size of turbos is not a question, I can install gt35r/gt40r if it will be require. that about other my questions? :)

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
The GT500 5.4 had weaker rods iirc. The Cobra 4.6 came with Manley H-beams, but pistons were more of the weak link but are still forged. Both motors have forged pistons and crank.

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
The GT500 5.4 had weaker rods iirc. The Cobra 4.6 came with Manley H-beams, but pistons were more of the weak link but are still forged. Both motors have forged pistons and crank.

True, but irrelevant when you're shooting for 1000 WHP, and a built motor is mandatory.

1. See above posts. I would go with the 5.4 with your build; however, either are capable of the power you're wanting to make.

2. There are big blocks out there that could make the power, but they're not going to be as proven or cheap as a 4.6 / 5.4.

3. You can make between 650 - 700 WHP with the right supporting mods on either stock engine.

4. There are a TON of options when it comes to aftermarket companies. I would suggest Livernois or MMR if you're looking for an already assembled engine capable of your power requirements.

5. There are quite a few people who have run a single / twin turbo setup on both motors. The Blower Bistro - SVTPerformance

prostkr

Established Member
Why in the world do you want an iron block? Most guys here swap out the iron block for alum anyway. Take the stock engine and rebuild it for boost. The ls1 engines love boost. I helped my friend build his twin turbo vette. He used 76mm turbos an lme built 440ci ls7 block with gm cnced heads. It put down 926 to the tire at only 13.5# of boost. At that boost setting it was all but undrivable on street tires.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

My questions:

Please see our longblock section on our website, we have MANY options and engines that will handle up to 2500HP, we have options such as 2V, 3V and 4V cylinder heads, we also ship worldwide (unless you have a US destination/container)

Let us know how we can help and we can help you narrow down your options.

:beer:

Modular Mustang Racing

5.0%20launch.jpg

Wildcard

Established Member
Cool question. As to the 5.4 bring superior to the 4.6. That'd rubbish (sorry been watching ALOT of Top Gear (UK). The quicker mod motors Accufab Racing are 4.6L 282 ci with the fastest making 2500 hp. On a 5.4L thenpistons hang out more out of the cylinders than on the 4.6 which is not ideal.

Aluminum block would be better for power in my opinion. Cool build. Can't wait to see the build. Post it on here as well as the turboforums.com

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
True, but irrelevant when you're shooting for 1000 WHP, and a built motor is mandatory.

1. See above posts. I would go with the 5.4 with your build; however, either are capable of the power you're wanting to make.

2. There are big blocks out there that could make the power, but they're not going to be as proven or cheap as a 4.6 / 5.4.

3. You can make between 650 - 700 WHP with the right supporting mods on either stock engine.

4. There are a TON of options when it comes to aftermarket companies. I would suggest Livernois or MMR if you're looking for an already assembled engine capable of your power requirements.

5. There are quite a few people who have run a single / twin turbo setup on both motors. The Blower Bistro - SVTPerformance
Under each of your engine options you said "2003-2004 SVT Cobra" and "2007-2010 GT500". If you're using a buuilt version of the 5.4 or 4.6 there's really no need to even call out a vehicle it was used in then...But I understand your point on going built for sure though. Enjoy the projct :beer:

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
Under each of your engine options you said "2003-2004 SVT Cobra" and "2007-2010 GT500". If you're using a buuilt version of the 5.4 or 4.6 there's really no need to even call out a vehicle it was used in then...But I understand your point on going built for sure though. Enjoy the projct :beer:

I believe you're thinking of the OP, not me.

mfj

Faster than you
Established Member
Why not just build an LSx engine for your car? I don't know why you would want the added complexity, added weight and added volumetric size of a Ford DOHC Engine, when you can EASILY attain your goals with a Turbocharged LSx engine.

Last edited:

Wildcard

Established Member
Why not just build an LSx engine for your car? I don't know why you would want the added complexity and volumetric size of a Ford DOHC Engine, when you can EASILY attain your goals with a Turbocharged LSx engine.

Hey hey don't discourage. I wanna see this build....lol :pop:

Last edited:

BigTang

Breakin' Stuff
Established Member
what year vette are you trying to put this in? How do you intend to deal w/ the fact that the motor will be at least 3" wider, not to mention heavier?

I do love a nice 4v, but its hard to argue that the LSx GMPP block wouldn't be the right one for this application. Don't discount the single cam and missing 16 valves, its a very capable motor.

C666

Established Member
If you want a cheap 1000 hp No brainer 6.0L Chevy Truck Block did you see the stockish 4.8 they cleaned up the heads put a cam in it and opened the ring gap and it made 1200 HP on an engine dyno lasted 60 pulls per the article now granted we made 1004RWHP with a 100% stock 03 Cobra Long Block that is close to 1200 crank I think and made 750 Track passes best of 8.9@156 at 3650lbs If you still want to do a Mod Motor I will sell you my built 4.6 I want to put a LSX or LS3 in my Cobra

quote from another site
Anybody see the new hot rod mag with the 1200+ hp nearly stock 4.8L? I can't find the article online but here are the basics:

Bought a 5.3L LSx engine(they thought) that turned out to be a 4.8L
Stock heads stage 1.5 ported from Total Engine Airflow with 2" intake valves, stock exhaust valves.
ARP head studs
Felpro MLS head gaskets
Stock Crank, original bearings, bolts, etc.
Gap increased on the top piston ring(all original rings) and a rust spot halfway in the hole of the #8 cylinder.
Comp Cams XR281HR cam. 228/230
CXracing 76mm turbochargers with flipped shorty truck headers.
Big Water/Air intercooler
FAST LSXR intake
75 pound injectors

They made just over 1200hp at 27psi before they had ignition failure but the motor was ok. Besides that the engine had over 60 runs, over half of which were 1000hp and up! Pick up a Hot Rod Mag and check it out, thats the cheapest 1200hp I've ever heard of.

[ame="http://www.truckmodcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18225"]LS Power!! Twin 76mm Turbo 4.8L 1200HP & still going!! - Truck Mod Central[/ame]

Last edited:

synca

guys, I am totally messed up, corvette's guys said that mustang's guys swap LS engines instead of using their stock engines :)
I am new to american engines, all my cars have top toyota engine 2JZ-GTE (as in supra)
I can also achieve 1000+hp with 2JZ 3L cast iron block (3.4L stroker) with GT40/GT42 turbocharger.
OK if I stay with LSx corvette engine, what is the top LS one?

JTStreet

SID297 Approved
Established Member
guys, I am totally messed up, corvette's guys said that mustang's guys swap LS engines instead of using their stock engines :)
I am new to american engines, all my cars have top toyota engine 2JZ-GTE (as in supra)
I can also achieve 1000+hp with 2JZ 3L cast iron block (3.4L stroker) with GT40/GT42 turbocharger.

While the LSX would be the reasonable, safe option, I still want to see a 4.6 or 5.4 in a classic vette making 1000 WHP. I say stick with your original plan! :)

Wildcard

Established Member
Main group swapping ls motors is the Nissan drift crowd. Mustangs with Ls motors along with even viper motors are few and far between. Mod motors are complex, but are very capable and formidable motors.

X2. I really wanna see this build. :pop:

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member

You wanna look for the very rare and extra strong L83 Crossfire V8 from the older Corvettes. It can make some great power!:-D

It won't even need turbos!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread