What exactly does the MAP sensor do for a 03/04 Cobra?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I know what a MAP sensor is, I'm basically asking from a tuning standpoint, what the MAP sensor is responsible for in our cars.
The reason I ask is that if I'm not mistaken, the stock MAP sensor is only a 1 Bar MAP which means its only capable of reading about 15 PSI of boost. Is it required to upgrade to a 2 or 3 Bar MAP when increasing boost levels over that mark? Also, where is it located? I don't see anything that resembles any MAP sensor that I have ever seen. I was thinking that it may be integrated with the IAT2 sensor, but not 100% sure.

I've never heard of anyone changing a MAP when increasing boost, so its probably not that big a deal, I was just hoping to gain a little more understanding as to what the factory ECU uses it for.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
But they do have a MAP sensor somewhere, correct? That's how the computer get's a reading on Manifold Absolute Pressure (vacuum and boost). That's also where the Aeroforce gauge gets its reading. I'm thinking that the MAP sensor is simply used for data port information, but I want to make sure since I'm not that well versed in ECU function.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
I was thinking that it may be integrated with the IAT2 sensor, but not 100% sure.

Right, the AeroForce gauge gets its reading from that sensor. Im pretty sure it is a 2-bar sensor. Doesn't it use the MAP reading for calculating fuel delivery?

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
No, it uses the FRPS and MAF to calculate fuel delivery. The only reason I'm asking this is because my Aeroforce gauge is only reading 15.6 PSI and that's constant, no fluctuation at all, at WOT. The factory boost gauge reads almost 18 PSI at WOT. I'm running a GenII Whipple with a 3.10" pulley, so 18 PSI is more realistic than 15.6. I was thinking maybe the 15.6 was maxing the MAP sensor and that's why the gauge was only reading that high.
Usually you will see at least a fluctuation of .1 or .2 in either direction on a WOT pull as you go up the RPM scale and I'm not getting that at all.

04CobraMatt

Established Member
No, it uses the FRPS and MAF to calculate fuel delivery. The only reason I'm asking this is because my Aeroforce gauge is only reading 15.6 PSI and that's constant, no fluctuation at all, at WOT. The factory boost gauge reads almost 18 PSI at WOT. I'm running a GenII Whipple with a 3.10" pulley, so 18 PSI is more realistic than 15.6. I was thinking maybe the 15.6 was maxing the MAP sensor and that's why the gauge was only reading that high.
Usually you will see at least a fluctuation of .1 or .2 in either direction on a WOT pull as you go up the RPM scale and I'm not getting that at all.

yeah your right about it being a 1-bar. The highest boost iv'e seen on my Aeroforce is 15 PSI on a cold cold night with stock 2.76 eaton. The mechanical stock boost gauge is definatly the right one.

Reason I mentioned about fuel delivery, I know in the tune the Max MAP counts has to be raised to 1024, i but cant remember why...

Maching-U

Established Member
The MAP sensor is built in with IAT2 sensor located on the blower discharge plate. That's why it has 4 pins on it. Two for IAT reading and two for MAP.

Users who are viewing this thread