What does it take to do a compression check? Read first..

JDUB348

Established Member
Stumbled across this posting on craigslist. IF the engine was holding good compression in all cylinders i might consider jumping on this car

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4500585281.html

What all does it take to do a compression test? Meaning what has to be in place to do it? The trans doesn't have to be installed, you just have to be able to depress the clutch to turn the engine over correct? Do you have to have the eaton on top of the engine? Take a a look at the listing and photos and tell me what you think. If the engine was good and you could pick this car up for $5,000 it would be a fun project haha

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
1) Take one spark plug out, put in tester.
2) Turn engine over for about 4 seconds.
3) Record resulut
4) Repeat with other cylinders

Looks like someone stole it and stripped it. It is savable, but I personally wouldn't touch it. Unless you have spare time and are willing to take off almost every panel to see what is there or isn't

Sick SVT

Established Member
I know how to take a compression test, more so wondering what needs to be in place for it to be done

As long as the engine can crank you can check the compression. If the starter has power and the engine will crank you should be able to get a reading.

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
a battery, starter and circuitry for the car to crank is all. crap you could bolt up a starter and run jumper cables straight to it. Just remember to pull the fuel pump fuse, I never trusted pressing the pedal all the way to the floor to stop fuel.

bubblehead93

Established Member
cold versus hot compression checks, may want to pull the spark plugs and spray some WD40 into each cylinder and crank a bit before doing the checks... since it won't run, need to satisfy yourself with the cold checks... deltas between cylinders will be most important vice absolute values...

hotcobra03

Established Member
I would oil all cylinders before test and crank a couple times.

1st hole should read 150psi cold...Than 10%

Users who are viewing this thread