What does it sound like when the retainer goes?

davbrucas

Banned
I have been having issues with my cltuch for some time now. car just hasnt felt right the past few months. the clutch doesnt noticeably slip but it doesnt grab very good when i let the clutch out either. recently i put in FW adj and quadrant. this got rid of the TOB noise as i was able to get it off the PP, but about a week ago i noticed another noise coming from under the car (and under the shifter if the windows are up). it only happens when i push the clutch in to shift and only over a certain rpm. just cruising slowly (<25mph) it doesnt do it. it sounds like a spun bearing or the sound a skatboard makes when you spin the wheels by hand. the noise happens when i push the clutch in to shift, but it doesnt stay there. if i hold the clutch in it goes away. if i release the clutch it goes away but will happen again on the next shift...and it doesnt do it every time...just most times. this am coming to work i did notice that while sitting at a light in neutral i could slightly push the clutch pedal and barely hear this noise as well as a bit of TOB squeal...i am guessing that this is just the TOB, but was thinking that it may be the retainer as well...any opinons? thanks...

NCStanger

Established Member
Sounds like what mine is doing to almost. I don't know if I should have it looked at and replaced if needed before it tears something else up or not. I'm driving it carefully for now. Sorry no answer here, maybe somebody else will know.

davbrucas

Banned
NCStanger said:
Sounds like what mine is doing to almost. I don't know if I should have it looked at and replaced if needed before it tears something else up or not. I'm driving it carefully for now. Sorry no answer here, maybe somebody else will know.

well, i just bought a new CF DF clutch and TOB, spec aluminum flywheel, and D&D perf TOB retainer/seal....LDC cooling mod as well. i plan on swapping the clutch sometime this month so i will let you know what it looks like. i can almost guarantee that my retainer is toast. i have searched on here and the people that had theirs break had very similar sounds and symptoms as i am having. you can always put the car on ramps and pull the little cover and look and see if the retainer is bouncing around in there. i didnt bother as i am replacing the whole damn thing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread