What do you use to prevent swirl marks?

LocoGT

Banned
How do you guys keep your paint from getting swirl marks? What do you use to wipe down, wash & detail the car?

I'm mainly looking for what rags, etc you apply stuff with, but if you can recommend any great detailing products to aid me that would be good. I have been using Meguiar's for a while now and have no complaints.

spree

Established Member
I'll give you my whole detailing process...

1) Wash the car with a microfiber mitt. Clay the car too if necessary. Dry with 3 different microfiber towels (2 for the panels, 1 for the windows)
2) Use Poorboy's SSR2.5 or SSR1 to take care of the swirl marks. Apply it with a PC7424 w/ a cutting pad and set at 5 (if SSR2.5) or a polishing pad set at 3-4 (if SSR1). Whipe off with a microfiber detailing towel
3) Apply Clearkote VM with my PC and a polishing pad set at 3, whipe off with another microfiber detailing towel
4) Apply Clearkote CMW with my PC and a finishing pad set at 2-3, whipe off with yet another microfiber detailing towel

You can of course substitute the products I use with the products of your choice.

Black'03GT

Established Member
Anything that is quality microfiber will not scratch or leave swirl marks in your car. You are probably getting the swirls from a dirty wash mit/towels.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
i use microfiber towels and a wool wash mit, then when im polishing/waxing i only use microfiber.

ausie

Established Member
I have been quite successful with a black SVT Cobra 2001 in keeping it swirl free.

* Use only a good quality wax without any cleaners or abrasives in it. Meguires NXT was all that I ever used and before that was on the market, it was Meguires Yellow wax No 26.
*I found that when washing the car, I would clay bar it at the same time.
*Wax was always applied with a terry cloth spong (one of those round disks).
*Micro fiber towels were only used to remove wax.
*Buffing if needed with a random orbital buffer and a synthetic wool pad.

When I traded the car in the dealership wanted to know How I kept the car so clean and did not have any swirl marks in the paint. In fact, when I bought it, I requested to drive it home dirty off the lot and did not want it detailed at the dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread