What do you think caused this?

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Don't know what caused this, but I hope you get it fixed CORRECTLY this time and on their dime. You've spent enough of yours already.

Ive only ever dealt with one machine shop and they wouldn't own their mistakes. I hope your luck gets better. I'm sort of a factory motor guy now. If one lets go, it's either a new crate engine or a good running pull out of another car.
I wish I could have had the original builder perform the re-build, but I did not feel comfortable shipping the engine 3,200 miles across the Country. The original builder did a fantastic job and I raced that build for over 4 years with no issues at all. Now I live in Maine and finding a quality machine shop is like pulling Hens Teeth.
The original builder was a outstanding machinist and stood by his work. If he screwed up he stood behind it 100%. You just don't find that much nowadays.
The original build made just about 1,250 HP at the crank, this re-fresh I was shooting for 1,350-1,400 crank HP.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well, we found part of the problem. It explains why cyl #6 had the discoloration in it. It does not explain why the cooling system was getting pressurized. Porosity/crack in the intake bowl area going into the water jacket.

20221003_163350pinhole.jpg

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting side note. We called AFR and asked them about this issue. They actually have a 10 year Warranty on the cylinder heads. I bought these in 2014 so it is covered. All they want is a video of the leak in action, no problem, we found it by pressurizing the cylinder head. They will send a new head, takes about 6 weeks.
Only issue is that the head has "evolved" over the last 8 years so it is not exactly like the heads that I have. The combustion chamber is a little different and the valve stem installed height is changed. I could run it, but I would not have matching cylinder heads at that point, so they agreed to sell me a bare head for $1,039.00
I would rather not have the expense, but at this point I would much more like to have 2 matching heads, and getting both for just over $1K is hard to pass on.

MG0h3

Established Member
Well, we found part of the problem. It explains why cyl #6 had the discoloration in it. It does not explain why the cooling system was getting pressurized. Porosity/crack in the intake bowl area going into the water jacket.

View attachment 1763712

Well there’s a lot more pressure in the combustion chamber than in the cooling system when running, so of course you’d pressurize the cooling system running.

Once you shut it off, other way around and coolant in the cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Well there’s a lot more pressure in the combustion chamber than in the cooling system when running, so of course you’d pressurize the cooling system running.

Once you shut it off, other way around and coolant in the cylinder.

Thats not in the combustion chamber, that is before the intake valve, at that point it is seeing 5-7" of vacuum. It takes the intake valve to close before any pressure can be built, and it is not built in the intake runner.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some more "what do you think caused this"
These were brand new Inconel exhaust valves.

20221003_155958 (1).jpg

Turned the stem blue from heat in mere minuets. The only exhaust valve not blue from heat is the #6 valve that had the water issue on that cylinder.

MG0h3

Established Member
Thats not in the combustion chamber, that is before the intake valve, at that point it is seeing 5-7" of vacuum. It takes the intake valve to close before any pressure can be built, and it is not built in the intake runner.

Ah shit I didn’t even catch that.

But aren’t you boosted? Guess it shouldn’t matter on only idle time

Users who are viewing this thread