What do you guys think this car is worth?

CobraHuck

Established Member
Well, I'm trying to get back into an SN in the very near future. Just not happy with my Coyote/payment so I'm gonna get another SN.

Went and looked at a supposed "cheeeeeppp" cobra today. It's a co-worker's uncle's car. It ain't cheap enough. It's a 96 or 97 (the owner wasn't there, was talking to his brother and I forgot to look in the door) real Cobra, black with tan leather. ~130k miles (broke odo). Was originally told it was "really nice" and "the only issues are the broken ODO and the pass window needs a motor". Yeah. Right.

Blackcobra051_zpse056b8a2.jpg

Blackcobra050_zpsa78529b2.jpg

Blackcobra049_zps576eceb8.jpg

Blackcobra048_zpseb6b14c8.jpg

The whole interior is trashed, the seats have never been conditioned so they're cracked bad, the carpet it toast, the steering wheel's coming apart, and the power drivers seat track is dead. And all the tint needs to be redone cuz it's peeling. The clutch is stiff as all get out and is out of adjustment, the Trac Lok rear end needs to be rebuilt (one rear tire was in the dirt backing up the driveway just spinning and the other not doing anything), tires are bald as hell, needs brakes and then it ran outta gas on me
bertstare2.png
So I just parked it at this point.

The positives, it's a real Cobra, not terribly high mileage, only flaws on the body are a ding in the drivers door and some flaking paint on the front bumper from a parking curb. The motor ran great, sounded awesome thanks to an offroad X and flows, trans seemed ok as far as I could tell from driving it in the yard. It also as some nice Wheel Replica 18x9/10 Bullitts on it and sub-frame connectors.

He's wanting $4k for it, saying that he's already taken into account the "flaws" (remember, odo and window motor lol). I'm gonna talk to the co-worker tomorrow and tell him what I saw/felt. I wouldn't go a dime higher than $1500 and that's PUSHING it. Not sure I'm even comfortable with that car at all. The interior is the main issue as well as the clutch, the rest can be cleaned pretty easy and I was gonna do the rear end anyway to upgrade gears. I think I might grab it IF I can get it for a grand.

What would you guys give for it? :beer:

BadCobraBite

Established Member
Lol I don't think it's that bad. There is definite potential I think I'd pay $4000. I've seen cobras in this condition regularly going for 6-8grand

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Walk away...fast. Why does it have a used car lot drive-out tag on it?

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
1500 is pushing it? you must find some good deals. even as a v6 i would pay 1500 hundred for it. 3+ as a gt, 4+ as a cobra

you can fix most of those issues and upgrade at the same time for under 2k
i would get nice corbeau seats used for 400-600 and cobra mats for 100 bucks

CobraHuck

Established Member
Thanks for the opinions guys, I didn't realize how insanely different the markets for these cars are lol.

Lol I don't think it's that bad. There is definite potential I think I'd pay $4000. I've seen cobras in this condition regularly going for 6-8grand

Oh it's pretty bad. Don't get me wrong, the car's got good bones, just needs alotta little details. 6-8k for that condition car is insane tho, 6-8 over here will get you a sub-100k mile Cobra with nice paint and interior and a few mods to boot.

Walk away...fast. Why does it have a used car lot drive-out tag on it?

That's my gut feeling,...supposedly he bought it and then never drove it. So I'm assuming he never registered it.

1500 is pushing it? you must find some good deals. even as a v6 i would pay 1500 hundred for it. 3+ as a gt, 4+ as a cobra

you can fix most of those issues and upgrade at the same time for under 2k
i would get nice corbeau seats used for 400-600 and cobra mats for 100 bucks

I know I'd probably be able to fix everything for 2-3k, I'm just not seeing the 4k value in the car. I'm just going by comparables in my market to make my judgements, 4-5k typically can get a much nicer car in this market from what I've found. Just wanted to get SVTP's opinions too.

Like I said, it's mainly the interior that needs to be replaced, but it's the WHOLE interior. Heck, even the dash needs to be replaced or at least re-dyed in a few places. And the fact that it still has the dealer tag on it, not sure if I'll run into problems getting it registered....idk, we'll see what my co-worker says today. May just pass on this one

Kiohtee

Established Member
"$1500 and that's PUSHING it." :lol: Everybody wants something for nothing. :nonono:

Don't try to negotiate through the seller's relative who is a co-worker, talk to the man like a man. Mention what you found and offer $3,000. Go from there. It's definitely worth the $4K he's asking for it and with a weekend's worth of work and $1,500 tops you could have a sub $6K car. And pollen FTL.

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
"$1500 and that's PUSHING it." :lol: Everybody wants something for nothing. :nonono:

Don't try to negotiate through the seller's relative who is a co-worker, talk to the man like a man. Mention what you found and offer $3,000. Go from there. It's definitely worth the $4K he's asking for it and with a weekend's worth of work and $1,500 tops you could have a sub $6K car. And pollen FTL.

+1 i mean i see the seats are ripped and the steering wheel has a cover so from pics we couldn't tell it was worn/ tearing

you call that interior TRASHED? replace the carpet 100-150 and find some tan seats for a cheap option or get 03-04 cobra seats (pricy but worth it option) if it ran good and shifted good where do you get $1500? is the paint peeling and rusting... no?

i hope you get the car and go to sell it and some d bag offers you $1500 and you flip shit :lol:

also what do you expect going from a coyote to a 16-17 year old car? a window motor isnt a expensive replacement and the tint peeling shouldn't factor in pricing, tint is illegal in most states and for inspection so you would have to get it removed anyway, but i guess because its peeling thats minus $1000, seats and wheel i guess is a $1000 and the odometer is definitely $1000 so i guess $1500 is accurate :??:

Last edited:

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
For what its worth, its a 97. You can tell by the door panels being all tan in color (96's were black and tan), and the center console's lack of integrated cupholders (which the 98's had).

Personally, I feel $4k would be fair. A lot of that is so easily fixable. A little time on the forums searching for deals, a few hundred bucks in parts and you'll be all set.

Last edited:

98fourvalve

Established Member
Lol @ 1500. Theres no way anyone would go that low for that car.

It's a true cobra car which is more valuable than a GT by far.

I think the guy would be stupid to let it go for less than 4k. Someone will buy it for that price. Doesn't have to be you. You'd be lucky to get that car with a salvage title for 3500. Just saying.

You can't get a GT in that condition for 1500. So.....

SVT Rob

Established Member
I've seen 96-98 Cobra's in a lot worse shape go for a lot more. I'd offer $3k, and see about dropping the price to $3500, but I don't see you getting it for less than that. I seriously doubt you'd be able to pick up a Cobra roller for $1500.

CJK440

Established Member
I've seen 96-98 Cobra's in a lot worse shape go for a lot more. I'd offer $3k, and see about dropping the price to $3500, but I don't see you getting it for less than that. I seriously doubt you'd be able to pick up a Cobra roller for $1500.

Agree

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member

+1. You won't ever get that car $1500. $3000 to $3500 is probably a fair price for it. My concern is why was it bought and not driven and does it have a title/registration issue...

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I'm pretty much with most of the responses in here. Before seeing the asking price and that you only wanna give $1500, I was going to say $4-4500 tops.

I see SNs for sale in similar shape for $1500 or so, but they're usually missing a couple cylinders and a pedal.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

CobraHuck

Established Member

No, I don't want something for nothing. I was asking for opinions, you guys may be right about it being with 3-4k, but in my eyes I just don't see it. My opinion, do with it as you please. Just wanted to see with the SVT gods thought.

Might wanna go back and re-read the post too. There was no negotiation, I would never negotiate with anyone but the seller. The seller's relative was simply showing me the car since the owner wasn't there and there was no talk of price. And yes, pollen FTMFL

+1 i mean i see the seats are ripped and the steering wheel has a cover so from pics we couldn't tell it was worn/ tearing

you call that interior TRASHED? replace the carpet 100-150 and find some tan seats for a cheap option or get 03-04 cobra seats (pricy but worth it option) if it ran good and shifted good where do you get $1500? is the paint peeling and rusting... no?

i hope you get the car and go to sell it and some d bag offers you $1500 and you flip shit :lol:

also what do you expect going from a coyote to a 16-17 year old car? a window motor isnt a expensive replacement and the tint peeling shouldn't factor in pricing, tint is illegal in most states and for inspection so you would have to get it removed anyway, but i guess because its peeling thats minus $1000, seats and wheel i guess is a $1000 and the odometer is definitely $1000 so i guess $1500 is accurate :??:

Ok, I understand you guys totally disagree with me, I guess I am wrong on the car's value. TO ME, it's worth $1500. That's why I'm passing on it. No need to be a dick about it. I asked for an opinion, I got it and I accept it. I had no idea such a rough car with be worth that much. If one of y'all want it, be my guest.

I don't expect a perfect car, but (again, in my eyes and compared to what else it on the market for 4-5k in my area) I expect something a little better than that. The window motor and tint are negligible expenses, was just pointing the needs out. Tint's not illegal here btw. Pictures always make a car look better, trust me, that interior is toast.

Like I said, I thought the car was worth alot less. I was wrong, I accept that and thank y'all for the education. But I still am not willing to pay it. That's the great thing about the free market, I don't have to buy it.

CobraHuck

Established Member
+1. You won't ever get that car $1500. $3000 to $3500 is probably a fair price for it. My concern is why was it bought and not driven and does it have a title/registration issue...

That was also a concern of mine...did not ask, kinda got freaked by the condition and forgot to.

joejoecat

Established Member
It never hurts to make an offer you never know what people are willing to accept.Start out low and quit where you feel comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread