What do you guys think of this computer??

john_anch_ak

Well, it certainly is "inexpensive" alright but... the processor is old and slow, not near enough ram, you should have at the very least 8 gigs of ram, 16 gigs would be better, the hard drive is small and slow at 7200 rpm, SSD drive is much faster. But, if you're only using it to browse the web and do email and pay bills it should work just fine. I used to be the only computer/networking support in Alaska for Wells Fargo so while I don't do it anymore I do know a little bit about computers. Also, I'd never buy a desktop computer, laptop only. Just my thoughts!

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I'm waitng to buy my next computer when Windows 8 is gone. Hard to beat Windows 7 for us PC guys. Windows 8 is like vista with a horrible drinking problem. Ready for Windows 9 to come out or whatever they are going to call it.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
You get what you pay for. Acer isn't the greatest company, and those specs are something that would of been average 5 years ago. I'm running a 5 year old Dell XPS laptop that has better performance than that thing.

Spend the extra coin and get a machine that will last you more than a year, and have decent performance.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Well, it certainly is "inexpensive" alright but... the processor is old and slow, not near enough ram, you should have at the very least 8 gigs of ram, 16 gigs would be better, the hard drive is small and slow at 7200 rpm, SSD drive is much faster. But, if you're only using it to browse the web and do email and pay bills it should work just fine. I used to be the only computer/networking support in Alaska for Wells Fargo so while I don't do it anymore I do know a little bit about computers. Also, I'd never buy a desktop computer, laptop only. Just my thoughts!

This one probably has a built in ban button on the keyboard...

I'm waitng to buy my next computer when Windows 8 is gone. Hard to beat Windows 7 for us PC guys. Windows 8 is like vista with a horrible drinking problem. Ready for Windows 9 to come out or whatever they are going to call it.

You get what you pay for. Acer isn't the greatest company, and those specs are something that would of been average 5 years ago. I'm running a 5 year old Dell XPS laptop that has better performance than that thing.

Spend the extra coin and get a machine that will last you more than a year, and have decent performance.

Thanks everyone. I'll wait. Glad I asked. Everyone except BRAD! LOL

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I would check out tigerdirect, they always have bundle deals.
For the OP's PC swap out that HD with an SSD and you'll be set for general emailing/web surfing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ditto. Excellent point, Joe.

Larry, the biggest question you have to ask yourself is what do you intend to do with the computer. If you're basically going to be browsing the Net (ie. forum usage), check email, work on the occasional word processing document, etc., then a basic setup should be fine. When you DO buy a computer, if you are only going to do basic stuff and no gaming or CPU/memory intensive stuff, there is no need to buy more than you need. That's wasting money. However, you DO want to be sure that you're buying a reliable computer. For that, whenever possible check the site's reviews on the model you're considering. If you look at the Amazon reviews, there are only 3. And one is negative with hints that it has inherent speed issues. It also has a crappy Celeron processor. I would not buy a computer that only has 3 reviews with one being negative. Too risky. You can definitely do better by spending a bit more. And be sure there are a decent number of reviews (10+) with the majority being very positive (on Amazon that would be an average of 4 stars). JMO.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i mostly use a dual monitor desktop for my daily work. an HP desktop i picked up at Best Buy for about $4-500 (dont recall exactly how much).

for around the house, surfing the web, email, etc..., i just picked up an HP chrome book. i LOVE it! its awesome. its fast and turns on instantly. it doesnt run hot like my laptop (or slow). but you do "need" to have a real pc/laptop as well for real computer work, if you have any real pc work to do. as bob said, depends on your needs.

if youre using it for forum work/banning, surfing the net, shopping, banking, email etc... i highly recommend one. i think they finally worked out the kinks these things had. mines been working flawlessly.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
LL' s new computer. I hooked him up, and I'll so pay for this, lol.
see-n-say.jpg

shurur

Established Member
I usually get something cutting edge and use the hell out of it....I like the AMD 990FX right now.

Currently running a very old Asus board with a single processor athlon XP 2600+ with Ubuntu 14 32 bit LTS...Board and CPU are about 13 years old...

I use newegg.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread