What do you expect out of a stock motor

oster910

Turboman
Established Member
We all have expectations of what we want from our cars, I have my little street car, it's current best has been 9.42 at 152, I've been seeing these 5.0s run 8.80s and what not and we will see what I can do at tx2k, so far my 60 has been alright at 1.32 to 1.36 I just had the car caged and everything done so I can run at events and not have amy issues.
The car is down to 3200-3250 lbs give or take a little
So I'm thinking with 230 lbs less than it was before and having the car turned up it should go 9.20s or so perhaps faster

What have you gotten from these 5.0s and what do you think is something that you would be happy with.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Everybody and his uncle runs mid 9s on the stock gen 1 block. Upper 8s on the stock block gen 2s are more common than you'd think.

7s are easily obtainable with rod and piston upgrades and the correct strip set up on the suspension and transmission.

The '13 in my sig was running mid 9s with the stock block at just over 700whp. It now sports a fully forged gen 2 that we hope it should see 1000whp. (Looking forward to getting it on the dyno when I get back from the Caribbean)

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
We all have expectations of what we want from our cars, I have my little street car, it's current best has been 9.42 at 152, I've been seeing these 5.0s run 8.80s and what not and we will see what I can do at tx2k, so far my 60 has been alright at 1.32 to 1.36 I just had the car caged and everything done so I can run at events and not have amy issues.
The car is down to 3200-3250 lbs give or take a little
So I'm thinking with 230 lbs less than it was before and having the car turned up it should go 9.20s or so perhaps faster

What have you gotten from these 5.0s and what do you think is something that you would be happy with.
So what you're saying is that I reeeaaalllyyyy need a better driver mod? :D :D :D

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Any builds you can think of that are running 7s? Fully gutted cars?
This list is old.

Many of these guys are running faster now.

Screenshot_20190304-123039_Facebook.jpg

bullitt2735

Established Member
7s are easily obtainable with rod and piston upgrades and the correct strip set up on the suspension and transmission.

I assume blocks are braced or sleeved at that level though for reliability though? I thought that was the weak point of coyotes of any gen above 1000rwhp reliably?

sono

Established Member
Just watching this thread with some interest as I ponder my next build. Gotta love when a guy puts up the data instead of just talking.
To be honest I never thought the power glides were very street able, but these guys seem to think 3 speeds are something to consider. Wonder how they would work on the gt500 for around town use.

Swappin' Powerglide & TH400 for Mustangs | RacePages Digital

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I assume blocks are braced or sleeved at that level though for reliability though? I thought that was the weak point of coyotes of any gen above 1000rwhp reliably?
I'd feel safe with just forged bottom at 1000whp. Above that and I'd sleeve.

SirShaun

Established Member
You see the way this TR-6060 is setup... I want a bad ass drag car but at the same time, I don't go to the track enough to justify it.

The question at hand though, I think performance cars should be factory capable of 1000hp. Do it for Carroll, or Dale.

Now you tell me how to run 7s/8s in something I can daily, still get 15mpg, all in.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
You see the way this TR-6060 is setup... I want a bad ass drag car but at the same time, I don't go to the track enough to justify it.

The question at hand though, I think performance cars should be factory capable of 1000hp. Do it for Carroll, or Dale.

Now you tell me how to run 7s/8s in something I can daily, still get 15mpg, all in.
Pretty sure Terry Reeves daily's his or at least used to quite often while running 8s. @beefcake

Last edited:

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Everybody and his uncle runs mid 9s on the stock gen 1 block. Upper 8s on the stock block gen 2s are more common than you'd think.

The '13 in my sig was running mid 9s with the stock block at just over 700whp. It now sports a fully forged gen 2 that we hope it should see 1000whp. (Looking forward to getting it on the dyno when I get back from the Caribbean)
just curious, in your professional opinion, what would last longer (90 street/10 drag), a 700whp blown coyote or a 7800 rpm CJ intake with comp Stg 3 cams n/a coyote? both stock long blocks, gen 2

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
just curious, in your professional opinion, what would last longer (90 street/10 drag), a 700whp blown coyote or a 7800 rpm CJ intake with comp Stg 3 cams n/a coyote? both stock long blocks, gen 2
Let me think of a way to answer that without pissing off either the NA or the boost guys.

I have to say that either way you go, both will only be as reliable as how hard and how often they get abused.

If both get abused equally, the 700whp car will definitely die a lot quicker than then high rpm car. I've destroyed them with 700whp, myself. A little detonation will grenade them at that power level.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I love threads like this, because I remember how excited we were when the first NA 4.6L S197 ran a 11.99. Now, bolt on a blower or turbo onto your otherwise stock S550 5.0 and you can have a 9 second street car that drives like its stock when you're casual with the go pedal.

Steeda is going to be releasing a 700 HP and a 900 HP car soon. They have some amazing expectations for the drag strip. Someone shared a video here... May have been Travis. IIRC, they are talking about 9's on the 700 HP version.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Either combo needs billet lower crank gear and billet OPGs to have a shot at surviving. My opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread