What do you all think

Lightning Bob

Established Member
I'd be concerned just reading the ad...

"2002 ford lightning pickup. 104,953 miles. Needs engine computer. Has bad driver in ecm for the idle air control. I can use scam tool to bypass and command iac open so you can hear it run. But camt be driven this way, when you put in gear the scan tool releases control. Otherwise needs muffler back and tires. Has been sitting for 1 year. Serious injuries only please"

But seriously, from the limited pictures the truck looks totally stock except for the radio. Likely it has had less drivetrain abuse than most modded trucks out there with similiar mileage. The exhaust missing should be a flag for questionable maintenance. Judging from the engine compartment, it has been sitting outside for a while. Not many $10K Gen 2's out there to choose from so would be a way to get into one relatively cheap.
The interior looks decent, and if the body and frame are clean, the engine, transmission, and rear differential all work, it would be hard to get hurt too much buying it . Side skirts alone are going for $1000-$1500 if you had to part it out.
BUT, Repairs could become very expensive with the ECM issue. Used one are nearly non-exsistant. Going through a Ford dealership for repair may be your only option. I would call your local Ford Service, and enquire as to how high the cost of an ECM repair/ replacement would be before jumping into this one.
Consider that this plus other unknown needed repairs could easily add another $5k if you cannot do your own work.

Just as an example....not endorsing. Labor normally normally runs twice the cost of parts...

upload_2020-9-8_12-15-39.png

Good Luck either way,

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-8_11-44-38.png
    upload_2020-9-8_11-44-38.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 86

STEVEOUSMC

Established Member
I have spoken to them a few times. It’s the Mechanic posting because the owner is in the Air Force. It’s been sitting at his shop for over a year since the computer took its poop. I am 1400 into a new computer. And I think that truck running and driving is worth 13.5 ish. Mint condition 15. I think it’s worth the chance. Guy seems to be a straight shooter.
I'd be concerned just reading the ad...

"2002 ford lightning pickup. 104,953 miles. Needs engine computer. Has bad driver in ecm for the idle air control. I can use scam tool to bypass and command iac open so you can hear it run. But camt be driven this way, when you put in gear the scan tool releases control. Otherwise needs muffler back and tires. Has been sitting for 1 year. Serious injuries only please"

But seriously, from the limited pictures the truck looks totally stock except for the radio. Likely it has had less drivetrain abuse than most modded trucks out there with similiar mileage. The exhaust missing should be a flag for questionable maintenance. Judging from the engine compartment, it has been sitting outside for a while. Not many $10K Gen 2's out there to choose from so would be a way to get into one relatively cheap.
The interior looks decent, and if the body and frame are clean, the engine, transmission, and rear differential all work, it would be hard to get hurt too much buying it . Side skirts alone are going for $1000-$1500 if you had to part it out.
BUT, Repairs could become very expensive with the ECM issue. Used one are nearly non-exsistant. Going through a Ford dealership for repair may be your only option. I would call your local Ford Service, and enquire as to how high the cost of an ECM repair/ replacement would be before jumping into this one.
Consider that this plus other unknown needed repairs could easily add another $5k if you cannot do your own work.

Just as an example....not endorsing. Labor normally normally runs twice the cost of parts...

View attachment 1661662

Good Luck either way,

STEVEOUSMC

Established Member
I bought it the trucks absolutely beautiful. Pulled carfax was hit drivers side qt at some point but is really clean outside and underneath... BUT let it run for an hr on computer and it runs awesome no over heating no issues but unplug IAC SHE WILL MOVE UNDER HER OWN POWER. Don’t get it need help..

Users who are viewing this thread