What do y'all know about the 2001-2007 Ford Escape 2.3L FWD?

Kiohtee

Established Member
Specifically a 2007 XLT (automatic). Can it get out of its own way? Are they reliable? Major fail points?

Thanks in advance!

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
They run ok, wheel bearings are the most common thing we see. Rust in the rear and rear struts on northern tier vehicles.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup, wheel bearings. Those were like clockwork. Drive before you buy and if you hear the "whomp whomp whomp" just know its not the tires making that noise.

Another one that usually you can hear is the alternator on the 4 cylinders. Whine like a stuck pig. If its ever been replaced before and the tech didnt install the "cooling" tube back on it they fail almost immediately after. The alternator is tucked behind the engine and gets almost zero airflow. The little cooling tube is absolutely necessary and i saw alot come in with it missing. Tech would replace the alternator but forget or not want to deal with that cooling tube(it was an automotive mandoline slicer). Alternator then overheats and it starts whining or the regulator fails.

Exhaust flex pipes go bad depending on who is driving. Leadfoot and it will fail at 80k. Grandma can go 150k without an issue. Its all about how hard you mash that pedal.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
I've got a 2007 but it's the 3.0L V6, but as the above guys said, I'm replacing the driver side wheel bearing at about 129,000 miles, we've also had the transmission rebuilt at about 120,000. Other than that it's been a good vehicle (knock on wood) LOL

Kiohtee

Established Member
I appreciate the feedback fellas. I'm going to piggyback off this thread and also ask about the 4.0L Explorer Sport Trac. What's the deal on those? Specifically an automatic 4WD model.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
The 4.0 had issues with the timing chain guides breaking, the one in the rear is a pain to get to. The balancer comes apart on them, thermostat housing leaks, wheel bearings, some years had trans issues with the 5r55, the independent rear explorers/sport tracs had issues with the case warping and causing some noise in the rear.

GodStang

Established Member
I had an escape and hated it as any time there was a slightest wind the car was all over the place. Had no power also. I drive a 2010 Explorer 4x4 now and love it. Not fast but it's nice and inexpensive.

Users who are viewing this thread