What did you do to your foxbody mustang today?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
That looks great.

I have to thank you as well, because I was just about to start searching for some pics of stock, unmolested foxes to try and see what the gaps were on the hood to fender and cowl were.

Putting my hood/fenders/bumper back on and have been going crazy adjusting them without remembering how tight the gaps were. Your pics clearly show it so it was a very coincidental help!
Awesome I'm sure I have more pictures if you need them.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The wife hates the rusty looking headers on her vert. So I'll have to install some new ceramic coated bbk headers.
d600415c77d8bcf9d0d9cafc00422534.jpg

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
@Bdubbs, I've heard lots of good things about the BBK shorty headers. Good fit and they also have a CARB EO number. Let us know how the install went when you do it. Totally agree that the factory ones look like crap in no time. Other than ceramic coating them, not sure if there is anything else that can keep them looking halfway decent.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
@Bdubbs, I've heard lots of good things about the BBK shorty headers. Good fit and they also have a CARB EO number. Let us know how the install went when you do it. Totally agree that the factory ones look like crap in no time. Other than ceramic coating them, not sure if there is anything else that can keep them looking halfway decent.
Actually the car already has bbk headers. I don't believe they are ceramic coated. The ones on my 90 coupe look nothing like this.

I'll likely remove these rusty ones and maybe have a place called race coatings redo them. They ceramic coated my cobra headers. Or I'll just sell them.
389fe19916aae3e084236fb324485680.jpg
8839fc622bec5b65f72961404cc2e861.jpg

Mustang5L5

Established Member
First time the car has been (mostly) in one piece in a while. Still a few odds and ends to button up.

New Scott Drake quarter windows installed. These are the ones sans the Mustang script, but i added that back via a decal.

Still need to tweak the ride-height and adjust caster/camber and toe. It's getting there

1648491807281.png

1648491892015.png

Mustang5L5

Established Member

triple-s

Established Member
First time the car has been (mostly) in one piece in a while. Still a few odds and ends to button up.

New Scott Drake quarter windows installed. These are the ones sans the Mustang script, but i added that back via a decal.

Still need to tweak the ride-height and adjust caster/camber and toe. It's getting there

View attachment 1743548

View attachment 1743549
I have these 98 cobra's too kinda wanna get them redone cause they look so good on foxes.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been having an issue with my 92 coupe where it acted like it had a rev limiter at 3500rpm. From doing my research, it looks like these are common problems with bad TFI modules, PIP sensors, low fuel pressure or clogged cats. The fuel pressure looked good so I ended replacing the TFI module yesterday. There was an original motorcraft unit on it, it may be the original that came with the car. I ended up getting one of the OEM old school TFI modules from foxresto and put it in yesterday. Wow, it totally changed the car. Seems to run much better, has more power everywhere and you can definitely wind out the engine.

Most of the new electronics (TFI and PIP) have gone to shit. Finding these old pieces is getting harder my the year, get em while you can. Speaking of that, does anybody know where you can get the motorcraft PIP sensor DU-30-C. I would like to have one on hand for when the distributor goes. Thanks in advance.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been having an issue with my 92 coupe where it acted like it had a rev limiter at 3500rpm. From doing my research, it looks like these are common problems with bad TFI modules, PIP sensors, low fuel pressure or clogged cats. The fuel pressure looked good so I ended replacing the TFI module yesterday. There was an original motorcraft unit on it, it may be the original that came with the car. I ended up getting one of the OEM old school TFI modules from foxresto and put it in yesterday. Wow, it totally changed the car. Seems to run much better, has more power everywhere and you can definitely wind out the engine.

Most of the new electronics (TFI and PIP) have gone to shit. Finding these old pieces is getting harder my the year, get em while you can. Speaking of that, does anybody know where you can get the motorcraft PIP sensor DU-30-C. I would like to have one on hand for when the distributor goes. Thanks in advance.
I had a new ford pip sensor that I sold awhile ago. For most, they are a pain to install. Most just end up buying a reman distributor. But those can be hit or miss.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Speaking of that, does anybody know where you can get the motorcraft PIP sensor DU-30-C. I would like to have one on hand for when the distributor goes. Thanks in advance.

I believe it's discontinued. A few NOS units pop up from time to time on ebay if you set an alert. I was looking to pick one up myself and missed one recently for sale.

I agree though that the new electronics have gone to hell. I have more faith in a junkyard OE TFI that is 30 years old, than a new Motorcraft unit. I've pulled them apart (i have a few) and the new ones are not made the same way as the older ones.

PIP's are a notoriously junk part from the aftermarket these days. Often times i'll see folks buy a new reman Dist (from cardone) and have problems with it out of the box. The trigger wheels/PIP's are junk. They will swap the pip/wheel off their old dist and it runs like a top.

Needless to say, i spend a lot of time browsing Ebay for NOS motorcraft parts from the 80's and 90's to use for my car. I don't trust the new motorcraft stuff for our foxbodies. Ford 302's aren't as common on the road, so there is likely only one or two vendors making these parts for our cars these days and repackaging them in different boxes. All lowest bidder sort of stuff given the reduction in volume from the heyday of the 90's when 302's were everwhere.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I believe it's discontinued. A few NOS units pop up from time to time on ebay if you set an alert. I was looking to pick one up myself and missed one recently for sale.

I agree though that the new electronics have gone to hell. I have more faith in a junkyard OE TFI that is 30 years old, than a new Motorcraft unit. I've pulled them apart (i have a few) and the new ones are not made the same way as the older ones.

PIP's are a notoriously junk part from the aftermarket these days. Often times i'll see folks buy a new reman Dist (from cardone) and have problems with it out of the box. The trigger wheels/PIP's are junk. They will swap the pip/wheel off their old dist and it runs like a top.

Needless to say, i spend a lot of time browsing Ebay for NOS motorcraft parts from the 80's and 90's to use for my car. I don't trust the new motorcraft stuff for our foxbodies. Ford 302's aren't as common on the road, so there is likely only one or two vendors making these parts for our cars these days and repackaging them in different boxes. All lowest bidder sort of stuff given the reduction in volume from the heyday of the 90's when 302's were everwhere.
LoL I'm on eBay daily looking for nos motorcraft parts as well.

Maybe I should have kept my nos motorcraft pip sensor....

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Yanked my entire interior out to install some sound deadening.

Work in progress as there is more to lay down. I need to weld in my SFC's before i do the main floor area. My plan is to Kilmat the entire floor, the roof and the doors. I also have some close cell foam sheets that will act as heat insulation as well. That will go on the roof and the trans tunnel, which gets hot as a mofo. There's also some stuff called EZ-cool which i might use to stuff inside all the various gaps in the rear panels and such as another layer of insulation.

Probably only adds another 20-30lbs of weight to the car. IMHO it will be worth it, and i'm hoping the foam on the tunnel cuts down on exhaust heat that I always feel cooking my leg in the summer.

My car is black interior and exterior with sunroof and hatch. It's essentially a greenhouse. I added AC back in, but anything i can do to keep heat out will be a bonus.

This is actually a fun project to do

5A34A980-EADD-4A77-8C5C-0DE1BCC03D17.jpeg
B612C4AE-E3DE-41DF-8452-401983BD12F3.jpeg

I had to POR-15 the spare tire well, but that will be getting covered as well. For a spare tire, i'm going to have Weldcraft wheels cut one of my spare 98 Cobra wheels down to 6" wide so i can install a smaller 205/55/17 tire on it which should tuck better in my wheel well vs a full size tire. 98 Cobra wheels are unique in that the spokes clear a lot of the larger brake caliper setups like the Brembos and my C6 front calipers. The standard cobra 17" spare doesn't clear this.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow looks great Mike. I'm doing the same thing with the sound deadening built n my 98 as we speak also. I'm going to tear out all the Mach 460 crap while I'm at it too.

*Do I see red seatbelts? Don't you have a black interior.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
*Do I see red seatbelts? Don't you have a black interior.

My interior was originally red. I converted to black years ago using a parts car, but since my car was an '88 it had lap belts out back, and not shoulder belts. SO i left the red ones in place.

HOWEVER, if you look closely in the above pics you'll see the red 3-point belt braces that I just welded it and the black belts attached. Finally converting to black 3-point rear belts.

This was a week ago
E69C159D-D198-4F74-B9A0-DA6D3A794524.jpeg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
My interior was originally red. I converted to black years ago using a parts car, but since my car was an '88 it had lap belts out back, and not shoulder belts. SO i left the red ones in place.

HOWEVER, if you look closely in the above pics you'll see the red 3-point belt braces that I just welded it and the black belts attached. Finally converting to black 3-point rear belts.

This was a week ago
View attachment 1744482
Yeah haha, that was going to be my next question. That's great man. You're always so meticulous.(y)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Thinking about putting collector plates on the notch. Then I can get rid of the front plate .
da611c19780efacfc5c7fc10cc7c0af0.jpg

BtownB

Established Member
Thinking about putting collector plates on the notch. Then I can get rid of the front plate .
da611c19780efacfc5c7fc10cc7c0af0.jpg

Yep...hate front plates...but the cops in VA love pulling us over so had to come up with a solution

Users who are viewing this thread