What did you do to your foxbody mustang today?

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Getting closer and closer to first crank

upload_2021-3-15_9-39-54.png

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Finally got the one fox fired up and running with the new oil pump. Has good pressure. Got the timing set in the ballpark by ear, then dialed it in with the timing light. Hooked up the vacuum advance and double checked timing on a whim since I still had the timing light hooked up and what do you know, the vacuum advance is shot. I guess double checking your timing beyond base is a good practice.

Also regardless of how borked the old pump was, probably a good thing I replaced it. The bottom of the pan was slowly converting oil back to dinosaurs, and the pickup was at least 75% obstructed. Pretty bad for an original <100k mi 84 engine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Went to check on the mustang at the storage unit this morning. Damn thing is leaking coolant under thermostat housing and by drivers side intake gasket.

This only happens in the winter/spring time when the car sits. Zero leaks when the engine is running.

The floors are sweating pretty bad, along with some engine components. I think with the swings in temperature and humidity the metals contract then leaks occur.

Anyone else experience this?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Problem solved, for next winter, your new garage.
Hope that's the fix. Gives me zero problems with leaks during warmer weather. Winter months it sits and then leaks.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
You should see the puddle of transmission fluid sitting under my 1991 Chevy Blazer EVERY year. It never fails, you would think the thing would not have any oil left in it. The truck is 100% stock. I guess it is because of pressure changes within the housing??

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Went to check on the mustang at the storage unit this morning. Damn thing is leaking coolant under thermostat housing and by drivers side intake gasket.

This only happens in the winter/spring time when the car sits. Zero leaks when the engine is running.

The floors are sweating pretty bad, along with some engine components. I think with the swings in temperature and humidity the metals contract then leaks occur.

Anyone else experience this?

Yeah I had that happen especially with my one classic. It would weep coolant and even power steering during the winter while it sat in a garage. It was especially apparent when you'd get extended subzero temperatures; then it would leak coolant like crazy. Once it got back to spring/summer temperatures, and/or you drove it, it was fine.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I had that happen especially with my one classic. It would weep coolant and even power steering during the winter while it sat in a garage. It was especially apparent when you'd get extended subzero temperatures; then it would leak coolant like crazy. Once it got back to spring/summer temperatures, and/or you drove it, it was fine.
Thanks for the heads up. It's nice to know I'm not the only one. That's exactly what mine does.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
I wanted some input from you guys on this, I'm putting a 93 cobra bumper on, so I welded, filled, and cleaned up all the open holes that go into the interior of the car from the GT bumper mounting holes. I plan on coating everything with POR-15 as my choice of undercoating. As far as the weld spots go, since they won't be visible anyway, would you paint them with POR-15 as well, or would you go the body filler, sand, and repaint route. I think I'll do seam sealer on the back ones since I'll have to redo the 30 year old seam sealer anyway.

165302522_575264553432246_1700239190324069399_n.jpg
165505373_232900251910507_1284673333535011974_n.jpg

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Had the Saleen in the shop for a water pump and an idle issue. I could set the timing and it was smooth and consistent with the spout plug out. When the spout was in, it would surge. I figured it was the IAC and it proved to be the sensor on the coolant tube. When it was unplugged the car would die...seems crazy but it was very corroded. New sensor and it is a smooth as can be. 21 years of sitting is hard on a car. She is limbering up.
IMG_1899.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread