What did you do for your Terminator today?

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Started tuning with 03Sleeper, and he noticed spark blowout. I've never changed the plugs since I bought the car, so figured now would be a good time to check & replace. The old plugs were Motorcraft Platinum (were these the stock plugs?) and the gaps on them ranged between .040-.043. Took those out, put new TR6's @ .025 in and so far so good. Hope I don't peg the MAF, but its looking that way.. guess I'll have to find a BA2600 someone has laying around to buy.

Now if I can just get 1-2 days of decent weather I can finish this car up & put it away for the winter.

.025 gap on 2.76 upper only ??

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
.026-.028 is what Kevin told me to put, I think most are .025-.028, did them fast trying to beat the snow, didn't have a feeler gauge handy to get as accurate as I could.
That sounds really tight. I'm at .035" on my 2.8" upper I think. I know they're not tighter than .030". Maybe he was over shooting to make sure theres no chance for blowout.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Maybe he was over shooting to make sure theres no chance for blowout.
that's just something a good tuner will ask for. mine had me gap mine to .028 before bringing it in to be tuned and I'm a measly 6-7psi. if things go well, they may open them up some more or tell you to if it's being remote tuned.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
that's just something a good tuner will ask for. mine had me gap mine to .028 before bringing it in to be tuned and I'm a measly 6-7psi. if things go well, they may open them up some more or tell you to if it's being remote tuned.
Opinions differ on this I guess. I wouldn't run that tight of a gap on what's a pretty mild set up. I ran .030" on my big bore at 19psi and never had blow out.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Opinions differ on this I guess. I wouldn't run that tight of a gap on what's a pretty mild set up. I ran .030" on my big bore at 19psi and never had blow out.
a tight gap is just a starting point for a car that the tuner himself didn't put together and isn't 100% certain about every component being used. Like i said if it goes good he can open them up, and will if the car will allow it.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
That sounds really tight. I'm at .035" on my 2.8" upper I think. I know they're not tighter than .030". Maybe he was over shooting to make sure theres no chance for blowout.

I run the TR6 same, check gap out of the box and good to go, .035 on 2.93/4lb ported E85

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
a tight gap is just a starting point for a car that the tuner himself didn't put together and isn't 100% certain about every component being used. Like i said if it goes good he can open them up, and will if the car will allow it.

Exactly. I've not known 04sleeper to throw around garbage advice when he's dealing with someone potentially thousands of miles away.

So a tighter gap might theoretically cost you half a horsepower.....but almost certainly eliminate spark "disruption" so the tuning process eliminates variables.
So, you have 99.9% you've taken that off the table and a .1% chance you've cost a tiny bit of power. Most remote tuners will take those odds I would think. The end user of the car can experiment with the gap later if they want to squeeze every bit out searching for the mason dixon line.

SVTCam

Established Member
Good to hear, Kevin has taken care of me so far. Car is just going to be a 2.76 upper car, I don't need to squeeze everything out of it. Hopefully I can finish up tonight before the Winter Storm hits us here and brings 6-8" potentially of snow.. too early for this!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Exactly. I've not known 04sleeper to throw around garbage advice when he's dealing with someone potentially thousands of miles away.

So a tighter gap might theoretically cost you half a horsepower.....but almost certainly eliminate spark "disruption" so the tuning process eliminates variables.
So, you have 99.9% you've taken that off the table and a .1% chance you've cost a tiny bit of power. Most remote tuners will take those odds I would think. The end user of the car can experiment with the gap later if they want to squeeze every bit out searching for the mason dixon line.
I don't think it loses any power with a tighter gap. The wider gaps help at idle and part throttle.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I don't think it loses any power with a tighter gap. The wider gaps help at idle and part throttle.

Ok, so its more a drivability issue then. I could have sworn it could cost a fractional amount of power in some cases.

Either way, I do know this.....Kevin is renown for tuning drivability, like idle and partial response. Drivability first....WOT power second. I see those comments a lot from people that have dealt with other tuners and then got an 04sleeper tune. So, I know thats high on his priority list and doubtful he'd advise anything to jeopardize that.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Ok, so its more a drivability issue then. I could have sworn it could cost a fractional amount of power in some cases.

Either way, I do know this.....Kevin is renown for tuning drivability, like idle and partial response. Drivability first....WOT power second. I see those comments a lot from people that have dealt with other tuners and then got an 04sleeper tune. So, I know thats high on his priority list and doubtful he'd advise anything to jeopardize that.
I'm not knocking Kevin at all. Everyone that has his tune seems to be happy. I was just saying different people approach problems different ways. Not a bad thing in my experience.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
eb8f347c-04d5-4f0d-b9cb-b8f3d68ef180_zps2sqf8ixs.jpg

58893cd4-4919-4218-abbc-7d1e40aa09e6_zpsonx31ges.jpg

3fa040cd-c031-487f-a502-a3b058713dde_zpsud9bafrb.jpg

3bee8b49-cb8f-4c3c-a6b0-fdc819c157df_zps2vxzgz9b.jpg

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
How do you like that shifter handle, Vince? Looks pretty hefty.

I have big paws, so I needed something with some girth. Hurst doesn't make a shifter handle with the rose wood side panels for a manual shifter handle. I picked up the panels and adapted them to the manual handle. I had to take a lot of wood off the panels, to get them to fit just right. I clear coated them, after I was done sanding them. Now, the handle doesn't get lost in my hand.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Installed a stock H pipe tonight and realized I must be getting old because when I fired it up I thought it didn't sound too bad. This is with my Stinger catback.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Installed a stock H pipe tonight and realized I must be getting old because when I fired it up I thought it didn't sound too bad. This is with my Stinger catback.

Lol I know what you mean! I haven't put my bassani x-pipe back on after smog because I have been like, meh this is good enough

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Lol I know what you mean! I haven't put my bassani x-pipe back on after smog because I have been like, meh this is good enough
I've been wanting to tone it down a bit for a while. I've been thinking of going with real mufflers again. The wife says I'll last a month before I put the Bassani back on.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Shit I have a magnaflow catted X pipe and Stingers sounds good but after hearing my buddies with Stingers and an off road prochamber I want one of those. I also want Borla or Corsa on my F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread