What damage can i expect from a hydrolocked motor?

1BAD03GT

Established Member
I hydrolocked the motor to my 03 gt. Today I decided to pull the valve covers off and didn't see too much damage. Only one side had 3 rockers that had come off. Tomorrow I will pull the bullitt intake off and inspect it a little more. What can I look for that will most likely have damage? This is my 1st mustang as I've always had fbodies so I don't know much at all about these motors. Any help will be appreciated...thanks.

Mike@TF

Established Member
Depends on what happened..but u may as well throw a built motor in there now...shoot me a pm if u need some prices

and untill u pull the motor completely out,pull oil pan and take a deep look it just may not look to bad on the outside lol...but from hydroed motors I have seen them with broken pistons,messed cylinders,to just a spun bearing

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Did you pull the plugs and see if it would turn over as a VERY FIRST STEP????
Was it running when you hydro-locked it?
Did it immediately stall?
Was it idling when it happened or at medium revs.

A revving engine when hydro-locked will bend connecting rods, often then breaking pistons, of which pieces can often then slam into open valves, bending them and that is probably why you have rocker arms knocked off.

The higher the revs when it gets locked the more damage that takes place.
If you have rockers off I suspect this is a VERY HURT engine.

Last edited:

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
A revving engine when hydro-locked will bend connecting rods, often then breaking pistons, of which pieces can often then slam into open valves, bending them and that is probably why you have rocker arms knocked off.
^
When my friend attempted to get his 99 GT from a flooding parking lot, all of the above happened. It had a cold air intake mounted down deep in the front bumper. Sucked in a LOT of water. Just got a new engine. Wasn't anything worth keeping really.
I wish I was there because I would have told him to rip the intake tube off of the throttle body and limp it out of that parking lot so as not to suck all that water in.

1BAD03GT

Established Member
The motor stalled while driving...I quickly turned it back on and motor backfired then shut off. After that the car wouldnt even crank. Almost like the starter didnt engage. I will have the heads off today and pull the oil pan off too.
My insurance did cover it some what and has sent me $2200 after my deductible. I am leaning on just buying a pullout motor off of ebay for $1500 with 53k miles due to the fact that building one will cost so much more and really I just want to get the car back on the road with as little money possible. I dont think I can build a short block with under $2000 so a pullout is probably my best option.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The motor stalled while driving...I quickly turned it back on and motor backfired then shut off. After that the car wouldnt even crank. Almost like the starter didnt engage. I will have the heads off today and pull the oil pan off too.
My insurance did cover it some what and has sent me $2200 after my deductible. I am leaning on just buying a pullout motor off of ebay for $1500 with 53k miles due to the fact that building one will cost so much more and really I just want to get the car back on the road with as little money possible. I dont think I can build a short block with under $2000 so a pullout is probably my best option.

Sound like a good plan, a rebuild would be a bad plan since sometimes the blocks get hurt on these jobs. The bent rods will sometimes wipe out the bottom of a cylinder or two.

Last edited:

whipplecharged0

Established Member
you can pick up a good used stock motor from heads to oil pan for under a grand. look around and you can save yourself a ton of money. I done this a couple times before I finally decided to just buy the parts and build my first motor. now im on my second built motor. lol

xTomKx

Established Member
You should pull the plugs and try to turn the motor over by hand. Sometimes at low rpm hydrolocking may not cause any damage to the motor. Pull the plugs, turn it over, clean out any water out of the cylinders, check compression.

Users who are viewing this thread