What could cause my clutch pedal to suddenly feel stiffer?

SLPCobra

Established Member
Hey guys was wanting to get some input on a problem my car has now.
I'm pretty sure it's the throwout bearing has went out on me but just wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

So about a month or so ago I made a trip with some friends to Wilmington for a cars and coffee that was going on down there and to just spend the day down there. We all rode in my car and rode around for awhile and then I was heading home and when I started off from a light it felt normal then I shifted to 2nd and the clutch suddenly went really stiff. The whole way home I tried to use the clutch as little as possible which was pretty easy being on the highway. The reason I think it was the throwout bearing is because for awhile now my transmission had been making a noise when the clutch was engaged when it was in neutral but as soon as I'd disengage the clutch it would stop and never really thought about it being a throwout bearing noise till now. :bash:

So tell me what you guys think any input is appreciated thanks guys :beer:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I would guess the cable more then the TOB. Unless your TOB is really bad and gouging into the sleeve it rides on. I have a TOB going out and my clutch effort hasn't changed.

SLPCobra

Established Member
I would guess the cable more then the TOB. Unless your TOB is really bad and gouging into the sleeve it rides on. I have a TOB going out and my clutch effort hasn't changed.

Yeah I was thinking it could be that too cause I do have a aftermarket cable and adjuster and everything.
Thanks for the input :beer:

How would I check or fix it if its the cable binding?

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I would check the ends of the cable and housing. When I broke a clutch cable on my '91 it was so frayed that the cable was binding where it went into the housing. It was the top connection that frayed first and then finally broke.

I'll also mention checking that your clutch release lever (the arm that hold the TOB) didn't come off the pivot ball. Mine did when I was trying to put some lube on my TOB and retainer sleeve and it was hard to push my clutch in. I pushed too hard before I knew it slipped off the pivot ball and actually cracked my TOB.

I'm not sure it would be a quick change in pedal effort, but my retaining sleeve was really dry and the grease was just a dry, caked on mess. The pedal effort was very high then. Some new high temp synthetic grease and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom now, but I did have the tranny out by then so it was easy to do.

SLPCobra

Established Member
I would check the ends of the cable and housing. When I broke a clutch cable on my '91 it was so frayed that the cable was binding where it went into the housing. It was the top connection that frayed first and then finally broke.

I'll also mention checking that your clutch release lever (the arm that hold the TOB) didn't come off the pivot ball. Mine did when I was trying to put some lube on my TOB and retainer sleeve and it was hard to push my clutch in. I pushed too hard before I knew it slipped off the pivot ball and actually cracked my TOB.

I'm not sure it would be a quick change in pedal effort, but my retaining sleeve was really dry and the grease was just a dry, caked on mess. The pedal effort was very high then. Some new high temp synthetic grease and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom now, but I did have the tranny out by then so it was easy to do.

Yeah I had my stock cable snap once so I bought this aftermarket one.
I'll check all that thanks for the help it's much appreciated man! :beer:

fordmotorsports

Established Member
I had a tob go out and I thought it was the cable. The reason I thought that it was the cable is that the cable blew throught the firewall. Lol put a new cable on and it was stiff too. TOB was busted into two pieces.

SLPCobra

Established Member
I had a tob go out and I thought it was the cable. The reason I thought that it was the cable is that the cable blew throught the firewall. Lol put a new cable on and it was stiff too. TOB was busted into two pieces.

Yeah I was thinking I might as well check the tob also because ive heard a high pitch whining noise for awhile now and I'm almost positive it's that.

I drove it the other day to see if I could actually diagnose anything and everytime i'd shift when I would disengage the clutch it would be a little delayed almost and really thump. Also while I was gassing up a hill it was lurching which it didnt do before so idk what is up. :shrug:

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
check clutch cable first easier and more likely than TOB.... but maybe cause all that noise you are having

SLPCobra

Established Member
check clutch cable first easier and more likely than TOB.... but maybe cause all that noise you are having

Well I think I figured it out cause my clutch doesn't feel as stiff now. this was scraping the clutch fork so I took it off.

af2e0fd3.jpg

I drove it and I was getting shudder in the beginning of the engagement and i think it is from the clutch cause I'm pretty sure it's gotten transmission fluid on it from a leak I found at the front. I think I'm gonna replace the clutch, tob, and the seal in the front i don't remember what that seals called right now and I think it should fix it.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Is your cover bent inward? If not, try to push your clutch fork into your tranny. I would guess that the fork was sliding off your pivot ball -- that's what I mentioned in my post above. Check your pivot ball for wear. It's not that expensive and a piece of cake to replace after the tranny is out.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Is your cover bent inward? If not, try to push your clutch fork into your tranny. I would guess that the fork was sliding off your pivot ball -- that's what I mentioned in my post above. Check your pivot ball for wear. It's not that expensive and a piece of cake to replace after the tranny is out.

I didn't even think about checking it but I'll see if that's what's causing some of it too. :beer:

SLPCobra

Established Member
Well I've finally got money to buy the parts I need gonna get a new clutch, tob, pivot ball for clutch fork, and input shaft seal cause I found fluid coming from up there.

Ik most of that is gonna be simple to replace but how hard is it to replace a input shaft seal?

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
My car has been sitting for awhile and I just got it out this weekend. I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to the hydraulic clutch in my Audi, but it felt stiff as hell. I didn't hear any grinding or noises so hopefully it's just I forgot how stiff it was.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Well I've finally got money to buy the parts I need gonna get a new clutch, tob, pivot ball for clutch fork, and input shaft seal cause I found fluid coming from up there.

Ik most of that is gonna be simple to replace but how hard is it to replace a input shaft seal?

Is your clutch currently slipping? Or are you just replacing it because you'll be in there?

My car has been sitting for awhile and I just got it out this weekend. I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to the hydraulic clutch in my Audi, but it felt stiff as hell. I didn't hear any grinding or noises so hopefully it's just I forgot how stiff it was.

I go through the same thing when I drive the wife's 06 for a couple days. It takes me a few shifts to get used to the cable clutch again. I really want to put in the Mcleod hydraulic conversion.

SLPCobra

Established Member

Ha yeah ik what you mean. If my car sits for awhile and then I get in it to drive it the clutch has always felt stiff for like the first couple days till I get used to it again.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Is your clutch currently slipping? Or are you just replacing it because you'll be in there?

The shudder when I was engaging the clutch after every shift makes me think the clutch is almost struggling to grab for a second. Plus I haven't changed it since I bought the car and idk how long the guy I bought it for has had that clutch in there and what it looks like so I figure if I'm in there I might as well put a new one in to avoid having to drop the transmission again down the road at some point.

I go through the same thing when I drive the wife's 06 for a couple days. It takes me a few shifts to get used to the cable clutch again. I really want to put in the Mcleod hydraulic conversion.

Yeah I've seen that conversion and thought about doing it.
But sometimes I kinda enjoy having the cable clutch idk why ha.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Bought the clutch, throwout bearing, and input shaft seal today.
Ordered Oem pivot ball also, gotta pick it up tomorrow.

SLPCobra

Established Member
Got the pivot ball yesterday.
Now just gotta figure out when I'm gonna drop the transmission.

Anyone have any pointers of how to drop it easy at home?
Any advice appreciated :beer:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I wish I would have taken pictures. I changed my clutch on 4 jack stands. First of all, the top two bellhousing bolts are a pain. I recommend removing the tranny mount and using a jack to lift the front of the engine a little. A block of wood carefully placed will reach the engine block. Then use good extensions -- not the thin ones that twist up. And the tool that made it all possible was an impact swivel that is like a CV joint. I tried a wobble and it broke. I broke a traditional u-joint too. And get a BABB (big ass breaker bar). Those bolts didn't budge w/my impact although it was the cheap impact that came w/the compressor. Those top two bolts were the worst part. Getting to the top bolt to the starter motor was cake compared to the top two bellhousing bolts.

Oh, as far as getting the tranny out after the bolts are off: I made a wood holder for the tranny out of a piece of 3/4" plywood (base) and four short pieces of 2x4 that reached up to the assembly "tabs". Then I made a short platform on casters. I got a bunch of pieces of 3/8" wood and stacked them between the tranny holder and platform. Then I "played Jenga" w/the tranny -- removing a piece from the front and then the back then the front then the back... until the tranny holder was on the wheeled platform. Then I just pulled it out from under the car. Installation was just opposite. Of course, a tranny jack would be easier if you have access to one. If this doesn't make sense, PM me your number and we can talk.

Users who are viewing this thread