What color to paint 96 cobra

Blown96cbra

Established Member
Well I am a body man/painter of 17 years
And just can not decide on what color to paint my car or if I should go all out and do a 1 off full custom job or what to do..
Car is a 96 cobra mid 800s rear wheel turbo car
Svo side skirts and saleen s281 wing are only body mods.
I will be painting every aspect of car very corner and jamb nothing will be untouched..
Lets hear some ideas guys

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
What are you leaning towards? I like a simple color scheme If I had a coupe (hate being cursed with a convertible lol) i'd paint mine a beautiful orange or a deep blue

HandsomeRob

Established Member
Saw this in another forum. Fell in love with how it looks. Love the 2 tone.
null_zps6106d69b.jpg

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
OP- blue is my favorite color, but with the sn95 body style being as curvy as it is, root beer with some flake in it would be amazing.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
What color is your interior? That might limit some color choices... With that said, I'm always a fan of keeping it in the Ford family of colors but maybe picking a newer model color. For example, I have a red fox, and i've always wanted to paint it that darker 03 cobra red color...

Blown96cbra

Established Member
Pearl white would be killer, in my opinion. That gets my vote.

Ya that's what I'm steering towards the most..
I have the engine bay and all the jambs of the shell ready to spray and have the newer ford pearl white code UG that they use on the Taurus and f150s mixed up.. I'm gonna spray it and see how I feel.. If I like it I'm staying with it.

Jut gotta do it and feel it out hopefully its the right choice...

Av3ng3d

Established Member
Tri coats are annoying to spray IMO, but you can't go wrong with the end result of a white pearl.

Last edited:

Blown96cbra

Established Member
I hear some people saying that from time to time.. But I have been spraying them for so long that its just like doing a regular base coat clear coat to me.
Basically jut more paint to spray..
Guess the only pain in ass part to me is having to spray the car all at once.. Lucky my shop has a huge down draft prep station off to the side of the booth that I can put the bumpers and odds and ends parts like side scoops door handles and side skirts and wing in..
So I can get the proper color match..

I have done tri coat jobs and painted bumpers and what not separate before but not worth the risk of a miss match cause I am super picky.

Av3ng3d

Established Member
Yeah that's what I mean when I say they are a pain. It isn't the end of the world to spray them, just a bit more time consuming, and a little more costly. I'm not sure what paint line you use at your shop and of course that plays a role, some paint systems cover better than others. We spray a Lesonal solvent system at our shop (we also have a ppg waterborne system but we tend not to use that lol) it usually takes around 3 coats of base to get coverage, and 3-4 coats of pearl with the Lesonal. I'm one of two painters at my shop and usually the both of us try to pawn off the tri coat jobs on each other lol. Roughly 7 coats of paint between base and pearl and you have to let each coat flash...ugh. :D

I have to agree though that you should definitely go with the a pearl white, it will look great and it will set your car apart from other sn95s. I tossed up the idea of painting mine either white, pearl white, black, or black metallic and ended up settling with the black metallic. Pearl white was a very close 2nd, but only because the cost would have been higher for me.

Last edited:

Blown96cbra

Established Member
That's where I am kinda lucky I don't have to pay for anything except clear coat and that's cause I don't want to use the brand the shop uses..
We use all r&m paint at my shop I like there base coat but not there clears..

I use a DuPont clear on all my cars or any side jobs I do.

r&m has very good coverage compared to other lines and I have sprayed almost all of them..
It covers fast and has very good color match for collision repair..

As for the tri coat it really depends on the car I'm repairing as to how many coats of mid coat I have to use

The average is 2 coats base for coverage
And 2-3 coats mid coat most fords are 2 and nearly all gm cars are 3-4

I think the only color that I hate to spray and I don't care what brand it is.. Is any red they are always so transparent..

What state do u live in do u guys have to have a waterborne system.. We haven't had to switch yet and I've heard mixed reviews on it

Blown96cbra

Established Member
This is a 66 mustang I painted for a friend it's Chrysler Chrystal black and fords CX gray
I love the metallic blacks as long as they don't look dirty
e8ynudam.jpg

3e4u4yzu.jpg

yve6yruj.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread