What causes TOB squeel?

efnfast

Established Member
When I was replacing my squeeling TOB (~15k miles on it) I couldn't help but wonder why it's such a problem with cobras? My retaining sleeve was fine (swapped it anyways), but the thing I noticed with the old bearing that there was slightly more slop in it than the new one (i.e., I could wiggle it around more, not to mention that when I spun it by hand, I could hear it squeeling lightly)

Are these just bad parts that Ford is using? I cna't think of any other explanation - I studied my clutch adjustment and my TOB is not spinning if I'm off the clutch, so it isn't an adjustment issue :shrug:

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
15k miles, wish I got that much. Mine when out at a tenth of that (1500 miles). I'm trying something I saw another guy did on my next one. Instead of having it ride on the pressure plate fingers all the time, I'm going to use a magnet return (hard drive magnets are very powerful) to let it float when I'm not pressing on the clutch. As far as I herd, Ford's TOB's are the best. I was using a RAM TOB that came with my clutch as a kit.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
In order for Ford's self adjustment to work, the TOB must ride on the pressure plate. That means it is spinning all of the time the engine is running. To fix that, you must pull the POS 2 pc quadrant and replace it with a solid quadrant. That also requires a firewall adjuster and some minor trimming of the clutch cable at the firewall. However, even with that the TOB will still ride against the pressure plate.

Many of us have used the LDC Freeplay Spring. This spring forces the clutch arm back (along with the TOB clipped to it), away from the pressure plate as long as you adjust it correctly at the firewall.

I adjust mine with the car up on ramps or jackstands or a lift. Remove the inspection cover at the driver's side of the transmission, and with the engine running and transmission in neutral, adjust at the fire wall until the TOB stops spinning.

I also use the FRPP HD TOB. All of that combined will help your TOB last as long as the clutch does.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
I dk about all of this and that what I can say is get a very hi temp syn grease and put some in the tob via that needle, my spec tob is still going fine. I used chevron utiliplex well cause what we use at work. 500 deg rated. I like that grease a lot. Better than the syn mobil grease ino. We have that also.

Last edited:

metaman

Established Member
I am at 30K on mine, it is starting to wear out and squeak a little only when I press the clutch in though. Follow snakebit's advice it is good. I am running a steeda adjustable cable, steeda firewall adjuster, and steeda quick release quadrant. The only reason I am not running the stock cable is because it was about 1/4 inch to short to adjust it the TOB off of the pressure plate. There is an inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission that once the car is jacked up, it only takes one bolt to remove it. Then you can actually look up in there and make sure that the TOB has at least 1/8th inch clearance between it and the pressure plate.

efnfast

Established Member
In order for Ford's self adjustment to work, the TOB must ride on the pressure plate. That means it is spinning all of the time the engine is running. To fix that, you must pull the POS 2 pc quadrant and replace it with a solid quadrant. That also requires a firewall adjuster and some minor trimming of the clutch cable at the firewall. However, even with that the TOB will still ride against the pressure plate.

Many of us have used the LDC Freeplay Spring. This spring forces the clutch arm back (along with the TOB clipped to it), away from the pressure plate as long as you adjust it correctly at the firewall.

I adjust mine with the car up on ramps or jackstands or a lift. Remove the inspection cover at the driver's side of the transmission, and with the engine running and transmission in neutral, adjust at the fire wall until the TOB stops spinning.

I also use the FRPP HD TOB. All of that combined will help your TOB last as long as the clutch does.

Unless I'm mistaken, shouldn't there be like 1/16 or so between the TOB and the pressure plate? I've studied mine through the inspection hole and it doesn't appear to be spinning when off the clutch.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I don't worry about the distance between them until it gets too large, then, pushing the pedal to the floor doesn't fully disengage the clutch. If the TOB stops spinning, then it's far enough IMO. Of course using a QR type of quadrant will help out if that's the case. I readjust mine with every 3,000 or 4,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread