what causes gear lock out?

svt_cobra01

Established Member
i installed a oem cable, steeda aluminum quadrant and firewall adjuster few months ago and it was perfect at first but now its really hard to get into gears sometimes. first driven it shifts fine but after a while of driving its really hard to get into gears and if im at really high rpms like 5+ i can forget it. is my cable being stretched? or maybe a clutch issue? the cable was routed correctly so its not touching anything hot.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing completely....can ya adjust the cable (shorten it) some??

Where in the pedal travel does the clutch engage now??

svt_cobra01

Established Member
Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing completely....can ya adjust the cable (shorten it) some??

Where in the pedal travel does the clutch engage now??

yes i can make it shorter and it adjust which fixes the issue temporarely then after a few weeks same thing. im going to run out of adjustability if i keep doing that to much. i turn it about 4-5 clicks each time. its engaging closer to the floor then the top. not right off the floor but pretty close. its so irritating and makes me not want to drive my car.

Coosawjack

Established Member
Sounds like the cable sheath is compressing due to heat maybe......happened to me in my AC Cobra Replica!!o_O

I got a FORD cable and applied heat shielding tape to protect it and fixed it for the rest of the time I owned it!!;)

BTW, the cable sheath looked like a cork screw when the clutch was depressed when it was HOT!!:eek:

svt_cobra01

Established Member
Sounds like the cable sheath is compressing due to heat maybe......happened to me in my AC Cobra Replica!!o_O

I got a FORD cable and applied heat shielding tape to protect it and fixed it for the rest of the time I owned it!!;)

BTW, the cable sheath looked like a cork screw when the clutch was depressed when it was HOT!!:eek:

if its heat which i hope to god thats the issue can i just apply heat shielding or should i get a new cable first and protect it?

Coosawjack

Established Member
If the cable has collapsed once it's no good.....best to start fresh and apply insulation type heat shielding if you suspect header heat is the problem!!

Users who are viewing this thread