What causes clunk?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Driveline play. I have a mild version of it. When I had the car on ramps for the catback install, I could rotate the driveshaft 1/16" - 1/8" with my hand. The more play, the more clunk. I don't know if the play is in the ring-and-pinion or transmission...:shrug:

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
Re: Re: What causes clunk?

Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
Driveline play. I have a mild version of it. When I had the car on ramps for the catback install, I could rotate the driveshaft 1/16" - 1/8" with my hand. The more play, the more clunk. I don't know if the play is in the ring-and-pinion or transmission...:shrug:
Same here. My car clunked very little up till 300 miles it got very houd after that.But at 1000 miles it does not clunk as houd.It now sounds like it did before 300miles (not as loud and HARD)

Ray Ackerman

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: What causes clunk?

Originally posted by Tetge
Loud and hard. That's a good description. The tech thought that perhaps the splines were different when he replaced the driveshaft. I compensate for the clunk by shifting carefully, but it still sounds really loud and hard. I worry that it will spit out on the pavement in traffic. Maybe I'll take it in and have them look at it.
But, is there a fix for the slop?
I don't think it's the sloop(Had it checked),I had a Ford rep at the dealer drive with me,he and some other techs thought it was to much"Loud and Hard" Ford kicked it back as being normal.I'm now waiting on a field engineer to look at my car.But like i said it does seem to be lessening.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Originally posted by Tetge
If there were a fix, I'd love to have it since it is crude to have an expensive performance car with a loose clunkly drive train.

My thoughts exactly...there is no reason to have so much slack in the driveline. Oh well. Something else that we, the owners, have to fix since Ford says it's "normal". Bah.

Users who are viewing this thread